Ovens in Class B's

Flags

Have a look at Vantage vans - they all come with ovens. I have one and the build quality is far superior to the likes of Auto Sleeper, Autotrail and Bailey. I looked at all of the options when we were looking 5 years ago and in my opinion Vantage were the best. Love having an oven by the way and use it a lot.

Even when the standard specification of a Continental-European-built PVC in LHD format does not include an oven/grill, there may still be a factory option to have this. And, as it’s recognised that a large percentage of British motorcaravanners highly prize the potential to cook a full-house Xmas dinner for 12 in their motorhome, the same models in RHD format may well have an oven/grill included as part of the standard UK specification.

(As far as I’m aware Bailey has never built PVCs and Trigano (nowadays) is a manufacturing group rather than a manufacturer. Are you interested in new PVCs or secondhand as well?)

Not sure I understand the reference to cooking a Xmas dinner for 12. I appreciate this is tongue in cheek but when ovens are mentioned someone inevitably jumps in and questions the need for an oven on the basis that who wants to cook a full Sunday lunch in a motor home. We have an oven and use it fairly extensively but have never cooked a traditional Sunday lunch or a Xmas dinner. On short trips in the UK we buy preprepared meals that cook in the oven and the quality is pretty good. We also use it to warm bread, roast veg, grill stuff, warm plates. There are arguments for and against ovens and microwaves and it would be great if our van had both, as at home, but it doesn’t so we use the oven. If we are in warmer locations we will probably cook outside more. Another point is that a microwave requires an electrical hookup whereas a gas oven can be used when wild camping so more versatile in that respect.

Anybody on here ever used an oven to cook a Sunday lunch to Xmas dinner?

Anybody on here ever used an oven to cook a Sunday lunch to Xmas dinner?

Yep, cooked Christmas dinner for two years ago when we were living in our MH between houses. Have cooked roast chicken and potatoes many times but not in the oven, we use a double skillet, quicker than an oven and uses less gas.

Flags - 2019-08-01 9:35 AM

Have done some research, but have been unable to find the answer to this....

Do any Class B manufacturers offer an oven/grill option?

Many thanks for any input

I can confirm that our IH 2006 Tio R (PVC) is fitted with an oven/grill and a 4 burner hob. Puts some larger MHs to shame. Our microwave is not fitted, and I lift it into place when we use it.

Alan

Don636 - 2019-08-01 1:46 PM

Not sure I understand the reference to cooking a Xmas dinner for 12. I appreciate this is tongue in cheek...

Of course it was said as a ‘joke’, but it’s nevertheless true that motorhomes aimed at the UK market will tend to have ovens as part of their standard specification, whereas those destined to be marketed outside the UK tend to have just a gas hob.

My first motorhome was a UK-built Herald and had a hob/grill and separate oven. The grill fell to pieces and the oven was never used during the 6 years we owned the vehicle.

Our 2nd motorhome was a LHD Hobby bought from Germany. This had just a gas-hob, but the RHD version then marketed in the UK by Brownhills had a small gas oven unattractively shoehorned low down into the kitchen furniture. I sold the Hobby into the trade and one of the first questions I was asked was “Has it got an oven?”

I bought our current Rapido through a UK delar but specified that it be in LHD. During discussions at the ordering stage it transpired that the standard specification would include a ‘UK Pack” and one of the elements of that Pack would be a sizeable gas oven perched high above the motorhome’s fridge/freezer. When I said “I don’t want the oven” I was told that not having this would devalue the motorhome when it came to resale. Our home does have a 230V double-oven and a microwave oven, but neither of these are at head height where they would invite a visit to a hospital’s A&E department. As we found with the Herald that the oven/grill was not being utilised, did not miss the lack of either with the Hobby, it’s hardly surprising that I preferred the Rapido to have the Continental-European specification shelved storage locker rather than (for us) a superfluous and potentially dangerous gas oven in the locker’s place.

If there was a point to my comment, it was that most reasonably sized UK-built PVCs will have an oven and a fair few RHD Continental-European-built will have one too. So Wayne has plenty of choice...

Archived