Pigtail gas connector

the clampits

Wondering if anyone else has had problems with their connector.

We were surprised how quickly we had gone through a standard bottle of propane recently, so transferred the hose over to the spare, only to hear gas escaping from the male connection. I disconnected the hose, and carefully inserted it again, only to hear gas still escaping. This was with a lightweight cylinder. I got another cylinder, (this time a heavy one) and the same hose connected normally and without any escaping gas.

I assumed that the (female) nozzle on the lightweight bottle was faulty, so when parking up the van at home, I prepared to take same back to where it was purchased. However, I thought I would try the whole process again with both cylinders. This time, gas escaped from the flexi-pipe nozzle with both cylinders.

My intention is obviously to replace the pigtail flexi hose, but would appreciate any thoughts from the forum.

The faulty hose came with the motorhome when we bought it new in 2015.

It is a long time ago now, but I had a faulty propane pigtail supplied with our MH in 2006.

On initial fitting of propane cylinders at home, after collecting the vehicle from the converter, gas was found to be escaping. A process of swapping pigtails and cylinders localised the fault to one pigtail. On investigating further, I was unable to obtain a ring of contact on the brass male end of the pigtail.

On close inspection the end of the pigtail was found not to be truly circular.

We live fairly close to the converters workshop, and on returning there a technician suggested that I had not tightened the connection sufficiently. Rubbish, as even then I had used a propane cylinder for many years. The salesman tactfully suggested that I should be given a new pigtail, with which item I had no problems.

Alan

Non-Gaslow POL-fitting propane pigtails (in various lengths) with a rubber 'end-cone’ and handwheel are available (example here)

https://tinyurl.com/y4qyctkd

These won’t have the stainless-steel ‘core’ of the Gaslow pigtails, but they are significantly cheaper.

(People have reported that this type of of ‘handwheel’ pigtail can have handwheel-to-gas-bottle clearance issues.)

Archived