Platinum AGMLB6110L battery.

Ninian

Hi, Has anybody had theses batteries in their motorhome and are they suitable for occasional off grid usage. I know it depends on the current draw but I don't want to buy two batteries that will only last a couple of hours on a nightly basis. They will be recharged via 100w solar panel.

Thanks.

Unless your charger and alternator are suitable for AGM steer clear.

Quote from Alpha batteries website "Please ensure your charging method can accommodate AGM batteries as charging at non AGM charge settings can adversely affect the life of the battery. Please contact us if you are unsure. "

https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-platinum-100ah-agm-leisure-battery-agmlb6110l-ncc-class-a/

IMO Your best bet would be a Varta LFD90, mine is now seven years old and still going strong.

Keith.

Ninian, if you have a look here : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/campaign-for-battery-change.php

the 5th or so paragraph down has a section with a comparison test of the standard Platinum LB6110L wet Battery and you will see it isn't the best!!!.

Not just the cyclic figures you can see we use for comparison, but the blatant marketing lies.

You can therefore probably imagine how great the AGM version will be?

Keith gives good advice, the Varta LFD90 is hard to beat.

Hi, Yes the dealer replaced my old batteries with the Platinum plus leisure and they were worse that useless didn't serve any purpose at all. They are now recommending these that is why I'm seeking advice before I fork out more money as these were more expensive. I don't mind spending the money I just want leisure batteries that are going to be suitable for both EHU and off grid.

Battery technology is still very much a black art to most of us but since Allan came bursting on the scene with his actual practical knowledge and experience many of us have learnt a lot better understanding, an understanding which in many cases supports our own experiences over the years.

Not so much about the battery technology but certainly about the lack of understanding and dishonesty that pervades the battery industry and also the motorhome designers, builders, retailers and repairers.

I for one have always wondered why replacement batteries never seem quite as good as OE batteries and I now have a better understanding of why.

There may be suitable applications for AGM and other new fangled battery technology but for the forseeable future for longevity and reliability at a sensible price I believe that the good old fashioned wet flooded cell lead acid battery, albeit with up to date but well established manufacturing methods, has a lot to offer.

Archived