Polishing and cutting

laimeduck

I recently posted about using marine 3M Perfect-It Gelcoat Medium Cutting Compound to clear the headlights prior to the MOT.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Headlight-Clouding/57737/#M684657

Robinhood correctly remembered that I had bought the stuff to renovate the gel coat on our Benimar "Mabel", (but my 100 year old mother contracting covid delayed that. She has now successfully recovered) - well I have now done that renovation.

Robinhood also urged caution using the medium cutting compound, so I also bought some light compound.

The result is nothing short of remarkable! We now have a shiny Mabel once more!

It is easy to do by hand, and the added bonus is that this product also contains a polish, so it's a simple one off operation. Doing it by hand it's also easy not to "over do it" and cut too much. I used the medium compound on the worst affected areas ie the roof mouldings, and the light compound on the flat sides. When the cloth is impregnated, it can be used on quite a large area before more compond is required, so a little goes a long way. I used AutoGlym resin polish on the paintwork of the cab area.

Well worth doing albeit 8 months later than planned!

Jeremy

shinymabel1.jpg.2fdc8ef28d02b5978f0dc7e38f66141e.jpg

shinymabel2.thumb.jpg.b9c7305e6e2d2b7e93d05acac0d60a2b.jpg

laimeduck - 2021-05-27 6:47 PM

I recently posted about using marine 3M Perfect-It Gelcoat Medium Cutting Compound to clear the headlights prior to the MOT.

Won't last but just for the MOT give them a spray with WD40 make them look like new for a day

I used 3M medium to keep our previous Autotrail paintwork in good order. I tried other local bread prior but found the 3M product better. I found regular applications (3 x per year) made for easier application. Cheers,

Archived