Portsmouth CEZ £50

witzend

Just read Portsmouth have a new CEZ with a £50 charge for non complaint Motor Homes and you can check if your vehicle will be charged at www.gov.uk/clean-air-zones).

The charge will be £50 per day of entry, for non-compliant vehicles.

Hah, that is classic. Once went into town to a seafood restaurant whilst waiting for an 11.30 pm ferry. What an education! Drunken men and women all with obese bellies hanging outside their clothing, puking in gutters, but absolutely everywhere. Probably made up the bulk of the Wembley invaders in the last few days. These fees are presented to avoid trauma with innocent MH owners.

witzend

Your posting above included a link to the “pension triple lock” petition now discussed on the Chatterbox forum

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/General-Chat/Chatterbox/Pension-Triple-Lock/58505/

I assume your inclusion of the link was an error, so I’ve removed it to avoid confusion.

More on the Portsmouth CAZ here

https://tinyurl.com/7pbu7cu2

https://www.islandecho.co.uk/new-vehicle-checker-launches-for-portsmouths-clean-air-zone-will-you-need-to-pay/

The Portsmouth CAZ boundary is shown (blue line) in the upper image attached below, with the (approximate) position of the cross-Channel ferry terminal arrowed.

The result of a ‘charging check’ for my 2015-registered 3500kg Euro 5 diesel-fuelled motorhome is shown in the lower image below.

CAZ-Boundary-March-2021.jpg.20bfafca5a99dda5e94aac24b7fd0538.jpg

233014729_CAZcheck.png.6258cfbba339adea434b9b49b8aa1351.png

Funny story - we passed through the Bath LEZ recently on a journey from home in N.E.Scotland to Somerset.

At motorway speeds our Euro6B Ducato does around 500 miles between DPF regenerations. The DPF clogging percentage ticked up into the mid 90s as we turned onto the M4 eastbound at Bristol, then into the high 90s as we took the exit to Bath.

Now the Ducato's DPF regeneration routine is pretty dumb and it starts a regen at 100% exactly, seemingly irrespective of any other factors.

This time it reached 100% clogging and chose to burn off 500 motorway miles worth of soot inside the Bath LEZ as we trickled through the city centre..

Probably not what the LEZ's designers were hoping for from a 'no charge' Euro6 vehicle ;-)

Steve, how do you know this?

The DPF clogging percentage ticked up into the mid 90s as we turned onto the M4 eastbound at Bristol, then into the high 90s as we took the exit to Bath.

Now the Ducato's DPF regeneration routine is pretty dumb and it starts a regen at 100% exactly, seemingly irrespective of any other factors.

Keithl - 2021-07-16 8:55 AM

Think yourself lucky then Derek, this is our 2004 AutoTrail...

Very strange, I have a 2003 2.8 JTD diesel engine and my charges come out at £9/£8/£0 .Something to do with your engine being Mercedes or how your van is designated perhaps? Mind you, I'm classed as a PLGV, are you PHGV?

with all these emission zones coming into force, its about time the same councils removed the 2m height barriers at park and rides if they still want us to visit. because i certainly wont be driving into any of these towns or cities.

BruceM - 2021-07-23 2:35 PM

Keithl - 2021-07-16 8:55 AM

Think yourself lucky then Derek, this is our 2004 AutoTrail...

Very strange, I have a 2003 2.8 JTD diesel engine and my charges come out at £9/£8/£0 .Something to do with your engine being Mercedes or how your van is designated perhaps? Mind you, I'm classed as a PLGV, are you PHGV?

Yes, our AT is HGV plated at 3,800 kg.

Keith.

In this June 2021 link

https://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/2021/06/17/launch-of-portsmouth-clean-air-zone-vehicle-checker/

the following statements are made

If the tool shows that a vehicle is liable to be charged, this means it is an older, more polluting vehicle that doesn’t meet the minimum emissions standards set out by government. In the Portsmouth CAZ, this means it has a ‘Euro 5’ or older engine (if it uses diesel fuel), or a ‘Euro 3’ or older engine (if petrol). In Portsmouth some vehicle types will be exempt from paying. These exemptions won’t show up in the national vehicle checker, so drivers should visit www.travel.portsmouth.gov.uk/schemes/clean-air-zone-exemptions to find out whether they can apply for an exemption for their vehicle.

and

Private cars and vans won’t be charged to drive in the Portsmouth CAZ.

As I said above, the ‘tool’ indicates that there would be no charge for driving my Rapido motorhome in the Portsmouth CAZ, and this is despite my motorhome having a Euro 5 diesel-fuelled engine.

My 2015 Rapido motorhome (3500kg GVW) is UK-registered in VED TC11 (Private/Light Goods Vehicles) which is the tax class in which older private cars are registered. As BruceM’s 2003 Dethleffs motorhome is also TC11-registered and the checking tool produces the same data as shown in my 16 July 2021 7:38 AM posting above, it appears that - where the Portsmouth CAZ is concerned - any vehicle registered in TC11 (irrespective of its age, Euro emissions or body type) will be considered to be a ‘private car’. Vehicles registered in TC10 (Private HGV - over 3500kg GVW) are evidently not considered to be private cars/vans, so will be liable for the Portsmouth CAZ charge.

If you refer to the map I provided in my posting of 16 July 2021 7:38 AM above, you’ll see that the southern end of the M275 skirts the CAZ but does not enter the charging zone. Reaching the ferry port from the north involves exiting the M275 before its southern end and the port itself is outside the CAZ.

However I have just found out that the Wightlink terminal in Portsmouth is inside the CAZ zone so will be out of bounds after Nov for older vehicles like mine.

We've just booked to go to IOW in September crossing from Portsmouth to Fishbourne and returning Yarmouth to Lymington.

Fortunately the CAZ is not operational until November!

This October 2020 Portsmouth CAZ Consutation report may be of interest

https://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Portsmouth-Clean-Air-Zone-Consultation-2020.pdf

as it includes a ‘motorhome’ section and a reference to the Isle of Wight ferry teminal.

There’s an apparent conflict between the ‘rule’ that all privately owned cars and vans will not be charged in the Portsmouth CAZ and certain motorhomes UK-registered in the Private HGV tax class being charged. The motorhome being taxed in a HGV tax class takes precedence and it being privately owned is ignored.

As this would potentially affect you regarding the I-O-W terminal, you might want to query this with the Portsmouth authorities.

As this would potentially affect you regarding the I-O-W terminal, you might want to query this with the Portsmouth authorities.

Thanks .... but no thanks Derek!

The information on their website states that the Zone is not operational until November 2021, so will not affect my trip.

I have emailed them to confirm this start date and will post back their reply.

If I decide to re-visit the IOW in the future I will either use the Lymington Wightlink route, or more likely the Red Funnel route from Southampton to Cowes, so It does't really affect me, other than adding a few miles to my journey from Romney Marsh.

Jeremy

UPDATE!

Blimey!

Within a minute or 2 of writing this Portsmouth CAZ replied to my e-mail as follows:-

(Good old Magdalena Taborska-Crowther-Carruthers-Smythe-Cholmondley-Smith and bar !!!)

"Thank you for your enquiry.

I can confirm that CAZ is due to be launched at the end of November 2021 so you won't be charged for going through the zone on the 7th September 2021. For more information about the zone, please see our website: Home - Cleaner Air Portsmouth

Kind Regards

Magdalena Taborska-Crowther

Air Quality Engagement Officer

Transport, Environment and Business

Portsmouth City Council

Civic Offices

Guildhall Square

Portsmouth

PO1 2NE

Mobile 07827 280 779

I thought that any diesel-fuelled motorhome described in the "CAZ vehicle type” line on the GOV.UK checker as Heavy goods vehicle might get charged irrespective of when it was first UK-registered, but experimentation shows that this is not the case.

Presumably - if a motorhome is described as a "Heavy goods vehicle” - the checker will use the vehicle’s UK first-registration date to decide its ‘Euro emissions status’ and whether it should attract a CAZ charge or not. (A bit like the French Crit’Ait scheme.)

I’m wary that the software that drives the checker is ‘right’, but as it doesn’t affect me I’m not going to progess the matter.

(Does the checker show your Globecar as a "Heavy goods vehicle” ?)

I’m not referring to what’s on the V5C, but what the GOV.UK checker shows

https://www.gov.uk/clean-air-zones

If I input my 2015-registered Rapido motorhome’s registration number into the checker the "CAZ vehicle type” describes the vehicle as a “Van” and there’s no charge for the Portsmouth CAZ. The Rapido has a GVW of 3500kg and a Euro 5 motor and is taxed in the Private/Light Goods class.

If I input the registration number taken from an advert for a 2013-registered Auto-Trail Frontier Mohawk motorhome, the "CAZ vehicle type” describes the vehicle simply as a “Heavy goods vehicle” and there’s a £50 Portsmouth CAZ charge. Presumably the Mohawk is taxed in the Private HGV tax class as is yours.

Archived