Putting caravan sites on satnav

Can anyone tell me how to download caravan and camping sites onto my Tomtom Via 52 satnav and if I do this would it use up all the memory on my satnav. UK sites would be okay for now but I would like to update European sites eventually. This is a new Tomtom which we haven't had experience with before as our old one packed in.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kevin and Kath B-)

I have a Via 62 and yes, you can do it but compared to "drag and drop' (into the map area) of my two previous versions, which also allowed the POI icons to be loaded at the same time, the latest effort is blooming hopeless.

yes, you can find your POI file on the PC and move it to the Tomtom BUT then you can't load the correct icon....you have to assign one from the Tomtom list.....so 'blue diamond' or 'green circle' etc...

so, when browsing the map you have no ide if you're looking at an aire, a gas station, a CC campsite or whatever....

not only that, when browsing the map, you can just 'go to' an icon .....great....BUT if you search for (say) a town, when the map finds it.....the POIs DONT SHOW UP.....so you can't go to one of them......

a lot of disgruntled Tomtom forum ites who see this as a massive step backwards in POI handling (loading and display).

also it's SLOW......to start up.......but REALLY GOOD once up and running with loads of good traffic and journey info.....

a real curates egg....

Having used a Tomtom for years, it seems that their design of soft ware has become much more limiting for the user to add information in a form that is useful to them.

Now I only bother to put in what I want , when I want it.

There is a web app called Tyre. (Search on "" Tyre Tomtom". ) That might help with loading pois but it still relies on the cruddy user interface that Tomtom offer to display what you need.

Rgds

yes Keith, it 'used to be' easy....a simple drag and drop from a PC folder straight into the Tomtom map file, done.

now, one file at a time, no icon can be transferred so damn hard to identify which item is which when faced with a map full.....

HI

Watch this video.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034225/how-to-import-pois-gpx-files-and-favourites-in-mydrive/p1?new=1

Once you have added them to your account via MyDrive , not to be confused with MyDive Connect Software, then when you attach your unit to your PC and MDC or you connect it to your Phone for the data they are synced to your Via unit.

Also once you have loaded Poi files you can select a file and use the search to find POI's .

Doug

bolero boy - 2019-05-07 9:31 AM

yes Keith, it 'used to be' easy....a simple drag and drop from a PC folder straight into the Tomtom map file, done.

now, one file at a time, no icon can be transferred so damn hard to identify which item is which when faced with a map full.....

As this, TT mydrive is a PITA compared to the older system.

bolero boy - 2019-05-06 4:53 PM

not only that, when browsing the map, you can just 'go to' an icon .....great....BUT if you search for (say) a town, when the map finds it.....the POIs DONT SHOW UP.....so you can't go to one of them......

The above comment is not true unless you have the POI files to not display on the map..

I have a Sainsburys Poi file on my Current tomtom and if for example I do a search and select Chelmsford and then select the centre of Chelmsford the result appears on the map. If I then tap the position and select Drive then it calculates the route and is ready to go . if I centre the map on Chelmsford and Scroll in or out eventually dependant on the position of the Sainsbury Poi it will appear on the map. Also if I scroll back to see the whole route from where I am in Kent I can see a fair number of Sainsburys POI 's displayed on the map.

Also if I just have the map on the screen and move around it until I find a town I want then centre on it dependant on how much you scroll in or out the number of Sainsbury Poi 's shown will vary..

If I centre my map on where I live and be a able to view in a 25 mile radius there are at least 15 Sainsbury Poi visible on the map. You can also click on them and get more information.

I could be corrected on the following but;

On my TT 5000 caravan sites pois can be display around my current position up to a range of maybe 50 miles or so . So I can see maybe 10 / 15 sites.

The problem is that there seems to be no way of picking a distant location and displaying sites in that area.

If I pick a POI from the list of POIs and select and use the " drive to " function, that's ok.

If I centre on the POI and zoom out , and out, And out !! Three are no POIs displayed other than the original

If I pick a town centre and zoom out, there are no pois displayed.

It seems that you have to be in the area, to display the pois, then you will see a pois on the map, up to a radius of say 50 miles

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2019-05-08 9:29 AM

I could be corrected on the following but;

On my TT 5000 caravan sites pois can be display around my current position up to a range of maybe 50 miles or so . So I can see maybe 10 / 15 sites.

The problem is that there seems to be no way of picking a distant location and displaying sites in that area.

If I pick a POI from the list of POIs and select and use the " drive to " function, that's ok.

If I centre on the POI and zoom out , and out, And out !! Three are no POIs displayed other than the original

If I pick a town centre and zoom out, there are no pois displayed.

It seems that you have to be in the area, to display the pois, then you will see a pois on the map, up to a radius of say 50 miles

Rgds

My 5100 will display POI's anywhere on it's mapping area, but there appear to be certain limitations, I'm not sure I've fully worked it out, sometimes it seems that loading too many different types of POI will result in not all of them showing, other times as you look at a area at first just one or two POI's show, then as you zoom in different POI's magically appear, if these where all from same category I could understand, but sometimes it might show (say) Arches POI's, then as you zoom in it might suddenly show ACSI POI's.

kevin hawkins - 2019-05-08 10:18 AM

thank you for all your advice, I will have a go but may keep my camping sites books in the van as well

kind regards

kevin B-)

I usually have three satnavs in the van, my old Via125, the newer 5100, and my phone, but I never go anywhere without camping site books.

p.s. Over the years several times I've found satnav POI's to be wrong and have had to resort to getting out a book, an infamous one for this is the C&CC site for Folkestone, the TT will not guide you on the correct road to site.

DJA - 2019-05-07 5:46 PM

bolero boy - 2019-05-06 4:53 PM

The above comment is not true unless you have the POI files to not display on the map..

I have a Sainsburys Poi file on my Current tomtom and if for example I do a search and select Chelmsford and then select the centre of Chelmsford the result appears on the map. If I then tap the position and select Drive then it calculates the route and is ready to go . if I centre the map on Chelmsford and Scroll in or out eventually dependant on the position of the Sainsbury Poi it will appear on the map. Also if I scroll back to see the whole route from where I am in Kent I can see a fair number of Sainsburys POI 's displayed on the map.

Also if I just have the map on the screen and move around it until I find a town I want then centre on it dependant on how much you scroll in or out the number of Sainsbury Poi 's shown will vary..

If I centre my map on where I live and be a able to view in a 25 mile radius there are at least 15 Sainsbury Poi visible on the map. You can also click on them and get more information.

which model Tomtom do you have?

both my older models (One and Classic XL) behave as you describe, but the 'new' Via 62 I have definitely does not.

I have attached three photos...the 'map' of my local area showing POI for Autogas and the odd CL site

the POI settings showing that they are 'shown' on the map

the map presented when I 'search' fo my home town....which is a different map and/or DOES NOT show the icons as in the other map.

just been having a play and can see how the situation 'works'....

if you are looking for a 'sainsbury' supermarket, yes you can select that POI list....

or a Morrisons file, if you have one...

but the device doesn't allow you to select multiple files SO if looking for a 'supermarket' (and didn't know if there was a Sainsbury or a Morrisons you can't select both to cover those bases....

similarly, if I'm looking for 'a campsite' in an area and I don't know if it's CC or CCC or .....I can't choose all my camping files....only one...

whereas with the 'map' in my first picture, ALL POI files are visible....all campsites and all supermarkets...

Hi Bolero Boy

The current system is certainly not perfect. I have the Tomtom GO Camper which I find very good. It would be ideal if they could do a lot of the Poi functionally of the old units on the new ones.

Looking at you second picture I see you have thought of the concept of giving similar POI files the same icon. The limitation is the fact there re only 5 icons to choose from.

If you allocate Sainsburys , Tesco, Waitrose etc the same coloured icon then if you centre yourself on a town and zoom in or out as required you will see, if appropriate, several icons around the town. If you now tap each icon it will give you an address and in the menu that opened there are 3 vertical dots which if you tap and select More information gives the name of the shop and address.

What is interesting about the GO Camper is there are 5 Camping/Camper related POI files on the unit and each of the 5 POI files has its own specific icon on the map which are just like the old .bmp file icons we used to use. If you have a look on the Tomtom website and find there advert for the unit you will see what I mean.So there must be the ability to apply specific icons but they have not given the option to do it to other poi files other than the 5 they offer.

Doug

Hi Tonyishuk

You don't have to be in the area for it to work. I am in Kent and here is a picture of my GO5000 with load of yellow icons which are Sainsburys, Lidl, Asda and Aldi shops. If I click on any one of the icons it will tell me the address of the icon and if I tap the 3 vertical dots next to the address and select more information it will tell me the particular shop name and address. Depending on the zoom level there are more.

596346208_TomtomPOIs1.thumb.jpg.b300faa848976a45e86a4ad78a19b385.jpg

you could download the wikicamps app on your phone and then find a site you like the look of and then enter their postcode onto your TomTom and that saves memory on the satnav. if you find a site that you like then just add it to favorites.

Hi Mark Wilkes

You would be surprised at how small Poi files can be and yet identify thousands of places.

The max size of a POI file Tomtom unit will take is 2mb . To give you an idea how much information that would hold the camera file Tomtom update on the units is 5mb's and that gives the positions of every Fixed camera, Mobile camera, mobile hotspots, Traffic junction cameras and Danger zones in countries like France of Europe covering an area of about 40+ countries.,

So you can have lots of POI files covering many topics and in storage terms they are likely to have little effect on limiting available space. In fact the Wikicamps uk app is 17.5mb .

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for a late response.

Thanks for POI information, I have persevered and finally found how to POI in an area, although seem unable to POI say campsites and National Trust on the same screen at same time.

Although the Tomtom very nearly got ejected from the mhome after some very strange instructions going through Bracknell and M4 last week. Fortunately my wife has map reading skills, I know something is amiss, when she quietly mutters and switches off the TTom.

Rgds

Archived