Rear protector bar

dawki

Hi all just looking at my van and the white rear bar the paint is pealing and looking for untidy

I was wondering how much a new one would cost rather than getting it re painted but can’t find one anywhere

Does anyone know where I might get one from and the cost as it looks quiet easy to replace

Trying to add photo but not working

Hi Dawki,

We had a full width tow bar fitted to our AT when we bought it over ten years ago and it cost £500 so dread to think how much it would be now!

After two years ours looked pretty rough so I took it off and had it powder coated and it still looks good all these years later.

It would probably cost a couple of hundred to get shot blasted and powder coated but would be worth it.

Keith.

PS Ours was fitted by TowTal in Stoke on Trent.

I bought some steel box section from a metal supplier and acquired a rectangular plate.

I then got someone to weld the right length box section to the plate and drill some holes to mount it on the tow bar flange.

I found somewhere that did powder coating, bought some end caps and chevron tape. Cost me less than £100, from what I remember.

A small engineering company should be able to assist for a small cost.

Hope this helps.

dawki - 2019-06-01 2:12 PM

Hi all just looking at my van and the white rear bar the paint is pealing and looking for untidy

I was wondering how much a new one would cost rather than getting it re painted but can’t find one anywhere

Does anyone know where I might get one from and the cost as it looks quiet easy to replace

Trying to add photo but not working

Hi..

Presumably, by asking such a question you are not up for just *DIY prep'ing and repainting it in situ then? (*either by yourself/friend/relative/neighbour etc...?) :-)

Unless it had been damaged and/or was severely pitted by rust, I don't think replacing it would be my first option....

But having said that, if you were looking at paying to have it removed, in order for it to be sent/transported for re-coating (painted/powder coated/galvanised ?), and then refitted again after, then by the time you've found someone who will do all aspects of that for you and at a time and place that suits you,it may(if money is not an issue)just be easier to just contact somewhere like PWS etc and get a new one?(then you could just roll up and let them get on with it...)

If it still had a manufacturers plate on it, and there weren't that far away from you, you could contact them to see what they would charge to do all the task?(that's assuming they would be interested with messing with such things?)

(The Towtal bumper/towbar that we had fitted to a previous van was looking quite rough after just a few months(maybe sooner?),but a decent nib-down and a coat of black Smoothrite (spray?) sorted ours okay)

• 3 weeks later...

Mine has recently been shot blasted and galvanized so should last for years to come.

Unfortunatelly I need to remove it as access to my property is up a very steep gradient and the bar touches the tarmac.

If anyone is interested in it give me a shout.

Hi I have had two (for different vans ) both from PWS in pool both fitted by different dealers.

The last one cost around £800.00 delivered and fitted.

We have to park on the road outside our house and by the way people park one can only guess that they park on a driveway at home, the bumper has saved a lot of costly repairs over the past 13 years.

The only down side is the powder coating tends to crack around any joints eventually and rust appears, it dose look unsightly, I usually change vans every eight to ten years but if I were hanging on to it I would consider having it re powder coated locally.

I noticed on my last van that the first thing that they done was to remove the bumper prior to sale.

Maybe worth phoning a few dealers in case they have a bumper graveyard?

Pete

Archived