Refunds from GNV for ferries from Morocco

webby1

We are having problems with the GNV ferry company who continued to advertise and sell tickets for regular ferries from Morocco to France even though the country was in complete lockdown and they had no permission to land the boats.

Many people desperate to get home bought tickets, only to then receive a voucher and an apology that their ferry had to be cancelled. But GNV knew it could not run anyway.

Does anyone know of any threads or groups pursuing claims against the company.I believe Paypal have refunded some people (good for Paypal) but not credit card companies as yet.

We all need to remember the good and the bad behaviours when the crisis is over.

GNV’s COVID-19 policy is stated here

https://www.gnv.it/en/gnv-policy

There’s also this FAQ webpage

https://www.gnv.it/en/faq-covid-gnv-en.html

that includes the following information

The proposed refund coupon does not meet my needs:

I would like to be refunded of the amount spent in cash;

The global emergency caused by the spread of the contagion from Covid-19 and the consequent serious repercussions in the context of work, production and finance activities have forced the Company, like many other carriers, to review its general conditions, searching for an exhausting balance between honoring the commitments undertaken and, at the same time, ensuring the continuity and survival of the shipowning activity .In this context, the current emergency legislation recently issued (Legislative Decree 02 March 2020 - n.9), allows the Organizers, in the event of the withdrawal of the traveler or cancellation of the ticket or cancellation of the trip due to the disposition of the competent Governmental Authority , to issue a coupon code of the same value amount to the ticket’s cost.

In accordance with the above, GNV has opted for the issue of a coupon code which can be used on all GNV lines by 15 October 2021 for travel by 15 October 2021 (complete information: https://www.gnv.it/en/gnv-policy). It is not possible to cancel the ticket and request a monetary refund as indicated in the transport’s conditions in vigour at the moment of purchase.

We apologize for the circumstance, independent of the Company's control and responsibility. We trust in your understanding, as well as in the correctness, trust and solidarity of each one to contribute, with a sense of mutual sacrifice, to overcoming this serious emergency crisis.

This doesn’t reallly address your enquiry about whether anyone is pursuing a claim against GNV directly to demand a cash refund but - if anyone is - I suspect it won’t be through the UK courts.

(Brittany Ferries were initially adamant that the company would not provide cash refunds for cancelled sailings but offered that possibility eventually. Presumably pressure was applied to force BF to do this, but I’ve no idea how that was done or by whom.)

Archived