Reverse camera lights up at night

Beswickid

When our Pilote 2019 MH is locked and parked up, as soon as it gets dark the reverse camera light comes on. Is it purely a wiring fault or are we not turning off correctly?. We don't want to travel 3 Hour round trip to nearest dealer if there's a simple remedy to sort it out.

Hi Brenda and welcome,

Is the camera factory fitted, ie by Pilote or Fiat(?) or an aftermarket fitted by the dealer?

Please can you give details of make of camera, etc. to help with replies.

It sounds as though the camera is wired to a permanent live and hence will be draining your battery when not in use. If so this needs rewiring asap.

Thanks.

Keith.

This is pure crystal-ball gazing...

I suspect that the reversing-camera displays its image on a dashboard-mounted ‘radio unit’ and that the camera is powered through that unit.

There has been discussion here in the past about Pilote fitting radio units that have no integrated On/Off switch and the only way to fully turn off the unit is via an “AUX” button on the motorhome’s main control-panel. So, if the radio unit is still ‘semi live’ (though not displaying a camera image) it’s possible that the camera continues to be powered.

A reversing camera can have two types of LED light sources - normal (as used in torches) or (more commonly) infrared. As explained in the “Infrared Night Vision” section here

http://beamalarm.com/Documents/everything_you_need_to_know_avout_rear_view_cameras.html

the latter type should illuminate automatically when the ambient light level drops to a preset level and the illuminated LEDs will clearly be visible at night from outside the motorhome. But (obviously) the camera itself needs to be powered for the LEDs to illuminate...

As Brenda only notices her Pilote’s camera’s LEDs illuminating when it gets dark, the camera is operating as one might expect. Presumably the system operates properly otherwise, so I can’t see why ‘reverse polarity’ should be an issue unless it’s being assumed that “locked and parked up” somehow implies that the motorhome is connected to a 230V hook up.

This 2016 thread discussed Pilote’s installation of a Pioneer radio unit

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Pioneer-AVH-2700BT/41394/

where the unit could only be switched off via the motorhome’s control-panel.

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if all 2019 Pilotes with the camera system fitted to Brenda’s vehicle behave as she has described unless the owner (as Brenda suggests may be the case) does something to prevent it.

If Brenda phones the Pilote dealeship, they may be able to tell her straightaway if there’s a special procedure that needs to be followed to stop the LEDs illuminatiing - or they may tell her that it’s a fault that needs addressing.

(Me, I’d try experimenting when it’s dark and the camera’s lights are illuminating. I’d check if unlocking the motorhome made any difference and/or if switching the control-panel completely off stopped the lights being lit.)

Derek Uzzell - 2019-05-23 2:57 PM

A reversing camera can have two types of LED light sources - normal (as used in torches) or (more commonly) infrared. As explained in the “Infrared Night Vision” section here

the latter type should illuminate automatically when the ambient light level drops to a preset level and the illuminated LEDs will clearly be visible at night from outside the motorhome. But (obviously) the camera itself needs to be powered for the LEDs to illuminate..

I have had normal LEDs glow in darkness due to reverse polarity and not switced on ..I know these are IR LEDs but it must be the first port of call ...(KIS ..Keep It Simple .) is my motto

• 7 months later...
Did this ever get resolved? As I have the same issue on my Adria Coral. The ir led’s are glowing red at night, the Electric hook up polarity is the right way round. The camera is a vision dn-3 wired through the kenwood multi media screen fitted to a 2013 fiat ducato.

I doubt that there is anything unusual about the Vision DN-3 camera

https://vision-uk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Dn-3.pdf

that might cause its LEDs to light up spontaneously at night, but you could try contacting Vision UK to check.

https://vision-uk.co.uk/contact/

I notice that a similar question was asked regarding an Amazon advert for a reversing camera

Question: Why do the red night lights always come on in an evening even when the camera isn’t in use?

Answer 1: Hi, yes your 12v feed must be live all the time. The red glow when dark lets you know it's working!

Answer 2: You must have a constant live to the camera!

Answer 3: Depends on how it is wired

As your Vision camera is powered through the Kenwood head-unit, if the camera’s LEDs are continuously illuminated at night despite the Kenwood unit being switched off, the reason must be because the wiring of the Kenwood unit and camera permits this to happen.

Not knowing which Kenwood multi-media head-unit you have, I haven’t been able to check (via GOOGLE) whether this is a known phenomenon with that equipment. You might try asking Kenwood if there’s a simple explanation

https://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/info/contact_us/

Also, are you saying that your camera’s LEDs glow at night only when your motorhome is connected to a 230V hook-up, or do the LEDs illuminate even when the motohome is not on an EHU?

There is a USA YouTube video relating to a multi-media head-unit displaying a reversing-camera image even when the camera was not selected, and that problem was traced to the camera not being separately earthed. No idea if that’s relevant in your case though.

(As this thread’s original poster (Brenda Shannon) only posted twice, and her most recent forum logon was in June 2019, it may never be known whether her Pilote’s camera-related issue was satisfactorily resolved.)

• 1 month later...
Leofric - 2020-03-09 5:28 PM

I spoke to someone on a site who had this problem - until he stopped parking in reverse gear...

It’s commonplace for reversing-camera systems to operate automatically when the vehicle is put in reverse-gear, with the ‘trigger’ either being the reversing-light circuit or a switch on the gearbox. So (as you’ve mentioned) if a reversing camera’s LEDs are continuously glowing at night, it would definitely be worth checking if the motorhome is still in reverse gear.

One thing’s for sure, for a camera’s LEDs to glow electrical power must be reaching the camera to make them glow.

I have received an instant reply from Rick at vision. I explained my camera was wired to a separate switch so I can turn the camera on without the need to select reverse gear. His explanation is below.

‘Because you are using the Kenwood unit the camera has to be powered separately so the installer I would suspect has taken an ignition live to power the camera so can be viewed at any time not just when reversing.

The LEDs have a 10,000 hour life and can be powered all the time. On a motorhome I suspect the van will be replaced before the LEDs performance notably reduces. Having said this there is there is a light sensor so the led’s should not come on during the day’.

‘I suspect the switch is just simulating the reverse gear on the monitor so it switches the monitor to AV mode’

So my mind is put at ease with his very quick and good explanation.

Archived