SPEED LIMIT

ALANSUE

I feel a bit stupid asking this, but will anyway.

What is the UK speed limit for my motorhome?

It is less than 3.5 ton, Peugeot Boxer cab, Compass Avantgard 150

Is it the same for motorway and duel carriageways when national speed limit sign is shown

I have looked in the highway code but still confused

Thanks

Alan

There has been several threads on this, as the search seems to not work for me a present I'll asume same for you.

The limit depends on your unladen weight, below 3050kg it's as per cars, n.b. this doesn't apply to commercial vehicles, in same circumstances it's lower for them.

The two critical bits are that a) your log book shows you as being a motorhome and b) that your unladen weight is no more than 3050 Kg. If you can satisfy both these criteria, then speed limits on all roads are the same as for cars.

Sorry typo should have read:-

It's Dependant on the Ex works unladen weight.

Under 3050Kg it is the same as cars, above 3050kg you are limited to 50mph on single carriageways and 60mph on dual carriageways.

Also:-

If gross weight is over 3500kg you are restricted to the lower limits regardless of unladen weight.

lennyhb - 2009-05-25 1:07 PM

Also:-

If gross weight is over 3500kg you are restricted to the lower limits regardless of unladen weight.

Lenny,

Where do you get the 'Over 3500kg GVW' restriction from, I am only aware of the over 3050kg Unladen restriction.

Keith.

I have just checked the Log book for my motorhome.

It states:

Body - motorcaravan

Tax class - PLG

Revenue weight - 3500.0Kg Unladen

No mention of ex-works unladen weight.

Swift specifications states:

MTPLW 3500Kg

Mass in running order 2935Kg [unladen plus 75kg for driver, engine coolants and 90% of the fueltank, water tank and gas capacity.]

No mention of the actual unladen weight.

The relevant web site for Vehile Licensing states:

"How do I know which band to license my vehicle in?

Goods vehicles are taxed according to their "Revenue Weight". This is the confirmed maximum weight (i.e. gross weight or gross train weight) for vehicles that are subject to plating and testing. For non-testable vehicles, the revenue weight will be the maximum weight at which a vehicle can lawfully operate under construction and use limits (i.e. the design weight).

Does anyone know to what the "unladen" part of the Revenue weight refers?

Andrew

cask - 2009-05-25 6:08 PM

Mass in running order 2935Kg [unladen plus 75kg for driver, engine coolants and 90% of the fueltank, water tank and gas capacity.]

Andrew

You have answered your own question!Take the MIRO and deduct the additions

p.s. any bolted on additions you may have added will increase your unladen weight.

Bas,

If the Unladen weight is over 3050kg then this extract applies:

"1. A passenger vehicle, motor caravan or dual-purpose vehicle not drawing a trailer being a vehicle with an unladen weight exceeding 3·05 tonnes or adapted to carry more than 8 passengers:

(i) if not exceeding 12 metres in overall length 70 60 50"

If under 3050kg unladen then speed limits are the same as for a car.

Keith.

Thanks for the replies.

However if stopped or given a "speeding ticket", how can I demonstrate the unladen weight.

The log book says 3500kg unladen [ Plainly this cannot be correct or I would have no carrying capacity.] This would presumably mean I am subject to the lower speed limits.

The certificate of conformity shows the MIRO not the unladen weight. This should suffice as it is under the 3050kg unladen limit.

The MIRO. If you try to do the mathematics to get to the unladen weight , you are guessing at the weights of gas, water [fresh and/or waste?] and especially engine coolants.

If the "authorities" ask for proof of unladen weight, I cannot provide the details.

Has anyone the same "unladen" note on their logbook under "Revenue Weight"?

Andrew

The issue of UK speed limits was covered by the late Mel Eastburn in the 3rd part of his "It Ain't Heavy - It's My Motorhome" series (MMM December 2004). He wrote:

"In the UK, car speed limits apply only to motorhomes with an unladen weight of under 3050kg. Those over this weight are restricted to 60mph on dual carriageways and 50mph on single carriageways (but the car limit of 70mph applies on motorways). Unladen weight is defined in the appropriate Act as excluding fuel, water and loose tools and equipment, which I take it includes items such as gas bottles.

However, since the unladen weight is not defined anywhere on the vehicle (the law does not require it), and even the vehicle converter is often coy about it (to avoid buyers realising how little load capacity some motorhomes have), I am puzzled as to how the police can enforce these restrictions. Even the Department for Transport expert was stuck (I ignored the suggestion that included the words 'police estimate)."

I understand that the present 3050kg figure was introduced when the UK made a half-hearted effort to move from Imperial to metric measurement, and that the speed limit weight threshold was originally based on a 3 ton vehicle unladen weight (and when, presumably, the unladen weight of a vehicle was a known factor).

The question of how the police can enforce the 3050kg limit came up subsequently when a motorcaravanner was being prosecuted after being 'clocked' by a speed camera able to discriminate by vehicle size. There was a letter in MMM about this and I'm sure Mel Eastburn became involved. The police eventually dropped the charge when it was explained that, while the camera might be able to tell the difference between small and large vehicles, it could not discriminate between a motorhome and a similar size commercial vehicle that might be subject to different speed restrictions.

After the charge had been dropped, the police were asked why the UK continued to use a difficult to define and enforce 3050kg threshold when other European countries used a vehicle's MTPLM (easily visible on its VIN-plate) rather than an 'unknown' unladen weight. If I remember correctly, the response was on the lines of "The police don't make the law and must attempt to enforce UK laws as they currently stand. If motorists feel present speed-limit laws are misleading, inadequate and/or can be improved, then it's up to motorists to seek to have them changed."

So, if you are really aggrieved by the 3050kg threshold - and it is decidedly a daft one nowadays - write to your MP (or start a petition) and ask for the relevant UK Traffic Regulations to be reworded to conform to the European norm.

Derek,

Thanks for your reply.

I am happy with the designated speed limits as described.

The point I was trying to make was the logbook "revenue weight" shows 3500.0 KG unladen.

This is a contradiction as the MPLM is 3500kg, not the "unladen" mass.

[The unladen mass is less than 2935 kg.]

I have spoken to the DVLA about this today and after referral to two line managers they do not have an answer.

They have asked me to send in the V5 with a covering letter so they can "investigate".

The case of the "speeding ticket" mentioned also shows how difficult and time consuming it is to convince the authorities that they were in error over this particular case.

Does your "Revenue weight" show unladen in the description on the V5?

Best wishes,

Andrew

cask - 2009-05-26 6:57 PM

Derek,

Thanks for your reply.

I am happy with the designated speed limits as described.

The point I was trying to make was the logbook "revenue weight" shows 3500.0 KG unladen.

This is a contradiction as the MPLM is 3500kg, not the "unladen" mass.

[The unladen mass is less than 2935 kg.]

I have spoken to the DVLA about this today and after referral to two line managers they do not have an answer.

They have asked me to send in the V5 with a covering letter so they can "investigate".

The case of the "speeding ticket" mentioned also shows how difficult and time consuming it is to convince the authorities that they were in error over this particular case.

Does your "Revenue weight" show unladen in the description on the V5?

Best wishes,

Andrew

Asking anyone from DVLA a question regarding vehicle registration, weight categories or anything more difficult than "what time is it?" is a waste of effort, they simply don't know their job! In fact I'm now convinced that to get a job in DVLA a stupid exam has to be failed!

I recently had to visit my local DVLA office to change the taxation class for my conversion from disabled minibus to motorcaravan, it is a 4200KG MTPLM Iveco. It took me 5 hours over two days and two separate visits to their office to get it sorted. All they wanted me to do was provide a weighbridge certificate, despite my protestations that all it would prove was its ACTUAL WEIGHT when the revenue class is based on MTPLM.

I finally managed to get an inspection by them that resulted in the correct tax disc and charges being applied but not without a long and protracted fight that tested my patience to its limits.

D.

At the end of the day you have to accept that DVLA is just a call centre and they have difficulty answering queries that they do not have answers for on their system.

You will probably get more joy talking to someone face to face at your local office.

Archived