Sat Nav Freeze

TPep

Hi All.

I have brought a new Autocruise Alto on a Peugeot Boxer 2015. The sat nav is a Tom Tom combined with the radio. Sometime it starts to work fine but then freezes, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes and sometimes for half hour or so, when it is working it sometimes can’t keep up with the driving, and I’m only talking about going round a round-a-bout to the point of nearly causing accidents on some occasions, telling me to turn off when nearly past the required route. I have fixed a remote (£100) sat nav to the windscreen and that works fine so blaming the satellite signal is out. Any ideas?????. TP

There have been other threads concerning these built in FIAT tom tom sat nav's, evidently the only way to update the maps is via a USB stick. Enter details of sat nav on Tom Tom website, download map update onto USB stick, connect USB stick to sat nav (?) Let it download (?). Got that ?.

For me far too clunky and longwinded, NEVER but never get a fitted sat nav in a car or indeed any vehicle, they become obsolete too quickly, even the good ones, and the FIAT bought Tom Tom is not a good one.

Mind you it sounds like yours has a serious problem, is it still under warranty ? Have you tried re-booting it ?

I would take it back to the dealer, to sort it out.

I have 2 Tom Tom 's a one new edition, for the car and a 1005 camper edition for the motorhome. They are OK, but not brilliant.

I don't know how to do it on a TomTom but there will be a "master reset" startup procedure, which will be worth trying in these circumstances.  It forces a complete base level reboot, restoring factory setting and dumping all other data, except the maps.  It seems to have worked a treat (eventually) on an old Garmin of mine, which is now behaving normally again.  For the Garmin it was press and hold two buttons down as you switch on. Could you ring up TomTom and ask them to tell you how to do the equivalent.

Hi TPep.

This has the symptoms of the Sat Nav not getting a good enough signal from the satellites, e.g. due to a problem with its antenna or the antenna cable. This results in a position error or no position at all. Do you know if this Satnav uses an antenna within the unit itself (which can "see" a signal through glass or plastic) or an external one ? The working part of a satnav antenna is about the size of a dog biscuit.

You should be able to call up an option screen on the Tomtom which allows the satellite reception to be displayed as a set of bars, this will give you some idea whether it is struggling for a decent signal.

It is unlikely to be anything to do with how up to date the software or maps are.

TPep - 2016-01-20 8:36 PM

Hi All.

I have brought a new Autocruise Alto on a Peugeot Boxer 2015. The sat nav is a Tom Tom combined with the radio. Sometime it starts to work fine but then freezes, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes and sometimes for half hour or so, when it is working it sometimes can’t keep up with the driving, and I’m only talking about going round a round-a-bout to the point of nearly causing accidents on some occasions, telling me to turn off when nearly past the required route. I have fixed a remote (£100) sat nav to the windscreen and that works fine so blaming the satellite signal is out. Any ideas?????. TP

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

These two earlier discussions relate to the combined audio/navigation system that’s an option for current-model Boxers/Ducatos/Relays

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fiat-s-Uconnect-5-Radio-Nav-Tom-Tom-/37652/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Autotrail-TomTom/39464/

Previous criticisms seem to be more about difficulties obtaining up-to-date mapping and unsuitability for motorhome usage rather than problems of the type you are having. As has already been advised, you might try ‘rebooting’ the system (assuming that’s practicable), but if that fails to fix the faults you really need to get in touch with your motorhome’s vendor about under-warranty attention. (Me, I’d want a replacement unit.)

It needs to be said that even the cheapest TomTom sat-nav ought not to be behaving like this, so there’s plainly something seriously wrong.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-01-21 9:51 AM

TPep - 2016-01-20 8:36 PM

Hi All.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

..............................................As has already been advised, you might try ‘rebooting’ the system (assuming that’s practicable), but if that fails to fix the faults you really need to get in touch with your motorhome’s vendor about under-warranty attention. (Me, I’d want a replacement unit.)

It needs to be said that even the cheapest TomTom sat-nav ought not to be behaving like this, so there’s plainly something seriously wrong.

I agree with the above. You say the vehicle is a recent acquisition, so take it back to the seller and ask them to supply one that works. It is a part of the vehicle as supplied, so you are entitled to expect it to work. Autocruise specified it as an integral part of your vehicle, and their franchised dealer sold it. It is not "fit for purpose".

For the reasons stated above regarding the inevitable obsolescence of these built-in units, I'd be inclined to negotiate for a stand-alone replacement rather than a like-for-like replacement. I imagine this would be a cheaper solution for the dealer/Autocruise, and would also be more satisfactory in use.

The same radio / satnav unit is used on the Fiat base too. There was a recall by Fiat last year - an update for the radio/navigation unit (no, not mapping) to sort out some glitches with the unit. Perhaps you could speak to Peugeot (Van dealer/service) and see if there was a recall on that item too.

Apart from the map update issue our unit has behaved itself apart from a couple of times when it has locked up and this has happened when we have programmed a route to France from home and all works well up until we get on the Eurotunnel train. However, when we leave on the other side the satnav cannot find a signal and still 'thinks' it is in England at the port terminal ! This will go on until we stop somewhere in France for a while and turn the unit off. When we start off again the unit works fine. The same thing happened on our return journey. What I have done since is to programme it to the terminal only, then switch the unit off and then on the other side programme it for our next destination.

You can carry out a reboot of the system but it wipes out all your favourites etc. and takes a while. I tried this whilst we were driving but the system still stayed locked up. Looking at the 'page' on the unit where you can check what satellites you are receiving, we were only getting about 3 of them showing whilst this was happening.

In all it is a very base unit and both Fiat and TomTom don't want to know. I always take my trusty Garmin with me too and it has never let me down.

Alan

• 1 month later...

Put a post on here about the common sat nav issues and found many of you have had the same problem. Since your kind replies I moved forward on this and the following is the good outcome:

The motorhome supplies flogged me off to Peugeot, went round the houses of software updates, that was a waste of time, finaly got the Peugeot garage service manager to admitt there was a known issue. I was polite but firm in explaining that I would be the worse pain in the ass they had evey met. The next phone call I had was: Peugeot had agreed to a new unit, that was fitted and it is spot on. really fast, no freezing. All sorted.

TP

• 5 months later...

I too have a fault with my new Alto. So far in four visits to Peugeot, I have had new "firmware" installed, that didn't work, I have had a complete new unit. That didn't work. Today after two days in the garage I have had a new GPS fitted. That hasn't worked.

The technician now believes that the metal rail of the installed windscreen blinds interferes with the satnav GPS which is located just forward of the "clipboard" and his only solution is to re position the GPS.

I now have Truscotts of Exeter and Marquis of Plymouth in dialogue which each other as to who is paying for this additional work.

Of the 900 miles on our new vehicle 600 were spent on our only holiday in France and 300 miles have been wasted visiting either Peugeot or Marquis to rectify faults!

It's not been a great start and I'm beginning to wish we never parted with our Adria....which was faultless.

Dawlishlad - 2016-08-17 5:36 PM

The technician now believes that the metal rail of the installed windscreen blinds interferes with the satnav GPS which is located just forward of the "clipboard" and his only solution is to re position the GPS.

OR... Try removing the windscreen blind!

Keith.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Dawlishlad.

As there will be plenty of Peugeot Boxer-based motorhomes with the same GPS system you have and the same windscreen blinds, if the metal blind-rail were somehow interfering with the GPS system one might reasonably expect the problems you are having to be quite common.

Keith’s suggestion to experiment with removing the windscreen blind makes good sense and, provided that the GPS-related problem can be demonstrated, should prove whether or not the blind-rail theory is valid. (If the blind is made by REMIS, I think removing the lower rail shoild not be too hard.)

You haven’t described the ‘fault’, but as what Peugot has done (including complete replacement of the original unit/GPS) has not cured it, the blind-rail theory is either inspired or just a shot in the dark.

Me, I’d want to see whar happened if another autoradio unit/GPS were installed. If the fault still persisted the blind-rail theory becomes more persuasive: if the fault disappeared, then the culprit (probably) wasn’t the blind-rail.

Just to clarify. the "fault" is a satnav that starts off working and then drifts off into a parallel universe where it hasnt a clue where it is. On selecting the satnav view its apparent that sometimes it gets 8,9 or ten satelites and other times it gets none one or two. Hence the loss of direction when a destination is inputted.

This latest theory came about when the technician waved his screw driver over the gps (when static) and loe and behold the satelites were lost. Im assuming that the movement of the vehicle is causing the lower blind bar to vibrate and thus interfere with the GPS.

Im not going to get involved with removing blinds or anything else as the thing was bought brand new on 6th June and this is firmly a matter for Marquis/Swift/ Peugeot to resolve, but its interesting to see others have had the same fault which provides evidence that this is a design error...probably by Swift.

Incidently I have a back up Garmin that works perfectly when stuck on the window.

Update.

Truscotts of Exeter (Peugeot) have now re-routed the satnav aeriel under the dashboard and the satnav is working perfectly. They say they havent come across this before and its a learning curve for them.

Im happy its fixed at last. Now if it wasnt for an anciet motehr and an even older cat, I might be able to get out and use the flippin thing!

Archived