Sat Nav - which is the best

Malo37

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have a tablet/smartphone with GPS why not try the Copilot app - try for free. The paid-for version with EU maps is about £30.

You'll need about 3 gig of free memory, although you don't have to load all the maps (only those for your current trip). Not very user friendly for adding POI's. It works off-line. You can drag routes to follow your preferred route which is quite useful. It also has walking mode so you can use it for navigating around unfamiliar towns.

I use it in conjunction with the Acsi app and MS Autoroute (on the notebook). Unfortunately, the MS Autoroute has now been discontinued.

It will depend a bit on you. It is a very open ended question, and we all expect different things from our devices, so what is best for one person is quite likely to be another's nightmare!

The main contenders are Garmin and TomTom and most folk seem to find they can do what the want with one or other. Both are available with lifetime map updates which, IMO, are worthwhile having. The models that come with this feature do cost a little more, but the extra cost seems generally to be less than that of just one "stand alone" update, and you get up to four updates per year.

Beyond that consideration, the more features you add, the higher the price, but the actual routing logic within a range doesn't seem to alter, so unless you want voice activation, or talking books, or whatever, the extra cost won't get you to your destination any better.

There are versions of both that allow you to enter vehicle dimensions and weights, but the results are not always as expected. They should keep you clear of legal restrictions on weight, length or width, but there are many narrow roads that are not subject to legal restrictions, and consequently they will sometimes route you down one if it provides the shortest route from A to B. Their usual logic seems to be to prioritise main roads, which can be assumed of reasonable width and free from other restrictions, but may result in longer routes. The downside is that there are many more minor roads that are also of reasonable width, and may offer shorter routes, that will not be suggested. This arises because none of the mapping yet includes data on actual road widths, only on legal restrictions on vehicle width.

The third make that is popular, and markets itself as "truck" friendly, is Snooper. They use the same mapping as Garmin, so have no special advantage on that score. Some find them OK, others have commented on poor customer service. They have one major drawback, which is that you cannot load your own points of interest but have to get this done by Snooper technical staff. Not always convenient.

In the case of both Garmin and TomTom loading POIs is relatively easy, and there are numerous collections of these freely available on the net, from campsites and aires to supermarkets and more. Garmin allows the mapping to be installed on a PC or Mac where, with the aid of a free download from their website, it is possible to view it on a larger screen, which can be very useful for detailed route planning, and also facilitates switching into Google Earth to get a bird's eye view of the actual area (or Street View where this works), which is equally valuable in checking and correcting the locations of POIs (not always that accurately sited).

Whatever you get, it is necessary to first get used to using it (preferably in your car! :-)), and the effect its various settings have on how it routes, and to retain a healthy degree of scepticism while using it. In the end, although the technology is very clever, the machines are dumb, and will occasionally do dumb things, particularly if you ignore (or miss) a routing instruction - when they tend to try to get you back onto "their" route via various highly dubious roads, until reality dawns and it begins to accept it isn't going that way after all! They also tend to throw the odd "curve ball" shortcut at times as well, so if the proffered route seems illogical, it quite possibly is! :-D

My final comment is on the map sets that come pre-loaded. Unless you are certain you will not want to travel outside UK, you will want one that includes European mapping. Don't get one that is UK mapping only, just to try it out, with a view to adding Europe later: it is much cheaper to get Europe pre-loaded from the outset. On the same tack, be careful which you choose as there are two versions of the European mapping; western Europe, and the whole of Europe. Western Europe models are a bit cheaper, but you'd need to be very confident that you will never head east before accepting the generally small extra cost of buying a version with the whole of Europe pre-installed. Hope this helps a bit!

Since having one running IGO Primo i wouldn't have one with any other softweare now, only my opinion but it is so superior to tomtom and Garmin, had to use my Garmin in the car last week dreadfull experance ( IGO Primo in the van is incorporated in the stereo). IGO route planning is far better, gives you a choice of routes it you don't like any of thdm you can get it to plot a load more for you to chose from.

Sorry guys but have to disagree re TT.

I had been an avid TT user for probably 10 years but had to change to Garmin this summer as TT do not have maps for Iceland and Garmin do.

So after a full summers trip plus day to day use I am a convert . Garmins mapping and user features are way ahead of TT, compare the advance route planning for instance, TT has none and Garmin works flawlessly! Then throw in the added advantage that Garmin has a 'Trip computer' built in which logs your exact route and mileage and which you can download to Basecamp (their route planning software) later and look at exactly where you have been and even printout a map and this leaves TT for dead!

OK I will agree there are features of TT I would like on Garmin such as distance remaining on a trip (Garmin only shows ETA) but I can live without this for the other added benefits.

So my 12 month old TT Western Europe with lifetime maps now resides unloved at the back of the cupboard.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Keith.

Edit, I've added a copy of our route from Garmin to show the results of a download.

Mapbox Iceland Garmin.pdf

I have a NozaTec NTu026, 2yr warranty, life time free map updates, 3D and 2D maps with 48 countries included. Can be set for, cars,cycles,trucks,buses, ambulances etc to avoid narrow roads, low bridges. 7" screen,

Got it from eBay 7" Truck GPS Navigation Lorry Car Bus Caravan UK EU Map Tom 12GB Tom Bluetooth £42. Far better than my old TomTom One.

I use Garmin Nuvi, it's currently available for about £60 at Halfords with lifetime updates included in the price.

It is a superb piece of kit, I use it professionally, so approximately 200 locations a month and personal use. Very user friendly and a doddle to update, no messing about, just plug, play and leave.

Why complicate what is such a simple process?

Martyn

Certainly good value for car drivers, but I wanted one that would avoid low bridges for the MH.reviewers say it works very well in the UK and Europe. The equivalent Truck system from Garmin or Tom Tom is over £300 I believe but I may be wrong

sakofox - 2015-08-30 8:01 AM

I have a NozaTec NTu026, 2yr warranty, life time free map updates, 3D and 2D maps with 48 countries included. Can be set for, cars,cycles,trucks,buses, ambulances etc to avoid narrow roads, low bridges. 7" screen,

Got it from eBay 7" Truck GPS Navigation Lorry Car Bus Caravan UK EU Map Tom 12GB Tom Bluetooth £42. Far better than my old TomTom One.

Can you say when you got it, and how it has performed in practise?

Brian Kirby - 2015-08-31 11:49 AM

Brian, I purchased it last week, I have done a couple of local test trips, where I have purposely gone off route and it recalculated instantly, speed limit display changes within feet of the road sign. I am still practicing with it because it is new to me, I like the display , you can change routes and avoid roads etc. to me it is far better than my old TomTom One, it probably does everything Garmin and new TomTom do, as well as putting in your vehicle dimensions to avoid bridges etc. You do have to download new maps onto a pc and transfer them to a folder on the gps, but it was easy to do. Hope that helps.

I feel that my old garmin quest was the best for route planning..on the computer screen, then transfer to the device..

sadly the maps are so out of date that the device has been pensioned off.

an earlier van came with a mio device..better from ability to add your own pois starting from a csv formattedlist,..but again the maps and device are now so outof date it also has been parked up and forgotten.

Current device is Snooper Ventura 6000..

software update downloaded recently, costing close to 100 pounds, has not improved its useability to create a preplanned route starting from coordinates.., ie effectively adding your own pois.

poi lists have to be sent to snooper for converting to their format..called upi format, which they then make available via a special download program for anyone to get..

there are many types of poi available, gathered from the likes of Archies, Caravan Club, France Passion, etc, but lists are old and undated, and therefore sometimes out of date.., also France Passion requires users to buy a new updated list each year to be entitled to use their sites..publishing their list seems to contravene the copyright as does publishing the Aires list if it was garnered from All the Aires books..

The device itself seem to work, in that I can chose car or van settings, but trying to create what they call multyroute is a real brainteaser. I dont like it from that point of view, and would far rather have the Garmin/computer planning option..I think that is currently called Basecamp ?

My old quest used City Select disks on the computer for planning.

Snooper is expensive, and they now have said the map updates are free for latest devices, but not for my 6000..that makes it a relatively high cost machine, and I dont find it as user friendly as Garmin ..just a shame that I made the mistake in indulging in the first place.

tonyg3nwl

sakofox - 2015-08-31 1:54 PM

Brian Kirby - 2015-08-31 11:49 AM

Brian, I purchased it last week, I have done a couple of local test trips, where I have purposely gone off route and it recalculated instantly, speed limit display changes within feet of the road sign. I am still practicing with it because it is new to me, I like the display , you can change routes and avoid roads etc. to me it is far better than my old TomTom One, it probably does everything Garmin and new TomTom do, as well as putting in your vehicle dimensions to avoid bridges etc. You do have to download new maps onto a pc and transfer them to a folder on the gps, but it was easy to do. Hope that helps.

I just wondered. However, until you've used it for about a year, and given it a good few chances to mess up while using minor roads, I think the jury remains out. The proof of the pudding etc! :-)

I cannot say which Satnav is "best" as I have only had two Garmins.

I purchased a Garmin 2699LMT-D last November and I have been very happy with it. It has served me well in France, Spain and Portugal over several thousand kilometres. It is easy to use and it is easy to add custom POI's. For instance I have downloaded all the ACSI sites for the countries I am likely to visit as well as the Campercontact database. I especially like the fact that I can connect up to my desktop PC or laptop and download and save information about previous journeys. I use the free Garmin software, either the superceded Mapsource (which I prefer) or Basecamp. In addition it is possible to plan routes in advance and send them to the device. It came with full European maps and lifetime updates. I did consider a "camper" model which allows you to enter your dimension and weights but after reading some reviews decided the extra cost was not justified.

One thing to remember is that no Satnav is perfect. Any Satnav is going to be wrong sometimes so you still need to apply plain old fashioned common sense.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-2699LMT-D%C2%A06-Lifetime-Updates-Bluetooth/dp/B00N9RJD3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441028012&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+2699lmt-d

I bought an "nGody" device off Ebay for about £30 because I needed a 2nd device for a one off trip. CG was using the Garmin to drive down to our new home and I was driving down in the van with Archie the cat, a slower trip to give him breaks from his travel box.

I thought that this nGody thing was pretty good to start with, driving in heavy rain and then on into the night, but by mid morning the sun came out and the reflections on the screen were so bad that I could not see anything on the screen, and in the end the only way to see anything was to lay it on the floor, where it continued to work perfectly, and I could see it clearly.

I've tried all sorts to reduce the reflections, but to no avail. So if trying anything similar do make sure you can see the detail.

AGD

I am a Garmin fan, and assuming you want this for camping, then the 740 takes some beating. However, again regarding portability, it needs to be connected to power as the off line battery life is not brilliant, and the speed limits in Spain and France are not great. Garmin assure that an update will soon fix this, BUT, waited 4 months so far, and this should be fixed. Great info on campsites however.

And that has just reminded me of another brilliant feature of the Garmin ( I have a Nuvi 66), namely the Auto 'On/Off' function.

If you plug it into an ignition controlled socket then it Auto turns On when it senses power and 15 seconds after losing power Auto turns Off.

It might not sound like much but really is a fantastic feature :-)

Keith.

flyboyprowler - 2015-09-01 11:13 AM

I am a Garmin fan, and assuming you want this for camping, then the 740 takes some beating. However, again regarding portability, it needs to be connected to power as the off line battery life is not brilliant, and the speed limits in Spain and France are not great. Garmin assure that an update will soon fix this, BUT, waited 4 months so far, and this should be fixed. Great info on campsites however.

If the fault you are expecting the update to fix is the speed limits one, it won't. The data is in the mapping, and the mapping inevitably lags behind events on the ground. There seems to be a lot of recent changes to speed limits in France (and elsewhere), many to introduce 70KPH limits on approach to towns etc, in advance of the 50KPH limit in the urban area. Whatever a sat-nav says, the actual limit will be what is on the roadside signs, so looking for these is by far the best guide to the current legal limit.

I bought the 5" NozaTec 2 months ago. About £36 with lifetime European maps. It has been used at work, swapped between the wife's car and the motorhome. So far it has performed brilliantly.

A couple of minor niggles like the male voice sounds very metallic but you get used to it. I also don't like the instruction "Go over the roundabout taking the 2nd exit" . The manual is basic, my son keeps finding functions and options that are not listed in the book.

I usually dislike budget products because I often find a function missing that I would have paid more to have. So far everybody is very pleased with the product.

Archived