Security devices

Violet1956

We're moving our van from the drive to a friend's farm temporarily and thinking of adding some additional security devices. I've searched the threads on security but can't find some gadget I've seen mentioned before that is attached to the engine battery. As far as I recall it is a green wheel type gadget that is attached somehow and then removed when the van is parked up. Can anyone help me identify what it is?

Thanks in advance

Veronica

(2 edits my typing leaves a lot to be desired)

Veronica,

You mean one of these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Marine-Battery-Isolator-Switch/dp/B077PFD5VG/ref=lp_4919955031_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1564219997&sr=1-7

Easy to disconnect but also easy to bypass with a spanner!

My suggestion would be a wheelclamp, very visible and relatively hard to bypass! We use a Bulldog Centaur on our MH on the drive at home.

https://www.bulldogsecure.com/view/bulldog-ca2000c-centaur-wheel-clamp/109

Keith.

As well as discouraging theft of the MH itself, you might want to think about a break-in to steal contents; our MH was broken into for that purpose by forcing a window. The burglar took a tv and other electronic and consumer stuff.

There is real risk in parking on an ordinary farm, depending on postcode and whether the MH can be seen by people in passing traffic to be parked there. Much less risky if it is out of sight.

The only way you can improve your chances of discouraging a break-in is to remove as much stuff as possible for storage at home and make it obvious that you have done so by leaving locker door ajar etc and maybe a conspicuous notice that there are no valuables inside.

Your insurance company may need to be told and might even remove cover unless the MH is in an approved secure storage pound.

Violet1956 - 2019-07-27 11:32 AM

Thanks Keith. We are thinking of adding a clutch claw too.

and OH says he's not keen on the green wheel thing because he thinks it will cut of the vanbitz strikeback alarm.

Just fit a 20amp fuse across the isolation device, this will allow the alarm and other things to work but the starter motor will instantly blow the fuse. B-)

StuartO - 2019-07-27 11:47 AM

As well as discouraging theft of the MH itself, you might want to think about a break-in to steal contents; our MH was broken into for that purpose by forcing a window. The burglar took a tv and other electronic and consumer stuff.

There is real risk in parking on an ordinary farm, depending on postcode and whether the MH can be seen by people in passing traffic to be parked there. Much less risky if it is out of sight.

The only way you can improve your chances of discouraging a break-in is to remove as much stuff as possible for storage at home and make it obvious that you have done so by leaving locker door ajar etc and maybe a conspicuous notice that there are no valuables inside.

Your insurance company may need to be told and might even remove cover unless the MH is in an approved secure storage pound.

Good advice Stuart. I have informed the insurance company and we've take the van to the farm today. We are insured with Scenic and they have confirmed there is no extra charge.

Charles - 2019-07-27 11:52 AM

Violet1956 - 2019-07-27 11:32 AM

Thanks Keith. We are thinking of adding a clutch claw too.

and OH says he's not keen on the green wheel thing because he thinks it will cut of the vanbitz strikeback alarm.

Just fit a 20amp fuse across the isolation device, this will allow the alarm and other things to work but the starter motor will instantly blow the fuse. B-)

Oh Charles, if only I could understand what you have to say.We are the technically unwashed. Thank you so much for adding your twopenneth.

Veronica

If you have captain seats that turn and face rearward towards the lounge, it may be possible to drill through the turntable and use a padlock to secure the seats in a position that makes driving awkward.

Other than that, the old 70's brake and clutch lock, steering locks, handbrake lock. All of which seem to be making a comeback because security is so poor on keyless entry cars.

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2019-07-27 3:36 PM

If you have captain seats that turn and face rearward towards the lounge, it may be possible to drill through the turntable and use a padlock to secure the seats in a position that makes driving awkward.

Other than that, the old 70's brake and clutch lock, steering locks, handbrake lock. All of which seem to be making a comeback because security is so poor on keyless entry cars.

Rgds

Thanks for that. We have captain seats and I have seen the recommendation to turn the driver's seat to face rearwards and secure. Hadn't understood that it would need some drilling. Will let my better half know what you advise.

Veronica

Archived