Security door lock Hymer

adhple

I have just purchased a Hymer iexis 678 which comes with a high security lock on all doors, including the habitation door. To lock it from the out side I need to dubble turn the key to extend the bolt to its fullest extent. When it is locked I can still open the door from outside and inside because the bolt dose not reach the door frame.

This is a manufacturing fault because they inserted the lock away from the side of the door!

Has anyone on else had this proplem and how was it resolved?

The only way I see is to replace the door and put the lock in the correct place

Andrew

It used to be possible to obtain a ‘dead-bolt’ lock for Hymer and Carthago doors. (Ebay advert here)

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/281930634246

but (as far as I’m aware) these were never factory-fitted by Hymer or Carthago.

Presumably you’ve confirmed that the bolt that won’t reach the door-frame cannot be extended further by turning the key more than twice? I only ask because whoever fitted the lock would have needed to have been extraordinarily incompetent to have ended up with a non-reaching bolt! I also suggest that you check that there is no sign on the frame that something that originally held the extended bolt is now missing.

As you’ve only just purchased the vehicle, you might want to ask the vendor about this in case there’s a simple explanation.

On the current models, the factory fit hab door 'security' lock effectively has a fixed position, determined by a 'cut out' in the door's internal skin.

This would make it difficult to wrongly mount it. The external part of the lock (the keyhole) is somewhat away from the door edge.

The frame has a striker plate added where the security bolt slips behind the door frame.

Single operation of the lock would have no effect without the striker plate, as the latter reduces the width at the bolt position, but double operation would just about engage behind the frane.

adhple - 2018-10-17 4:43 PM

yes, double turn key so long bolt, but it does not reach frame! noting missing from the frame. I think the agent will have to fitt new door and put the lock in the right place

Hymer has marketed an Exsis-i 678 model since the 2013 model-year, so it might be helpful to know whether the vehicle you’ve recently bought was brand-new or secondhand.

If brand-new and sold with the high-security locks as part of its specification, then clearly whoever sold you the motorhome should be responsible for ensuring that the lock on the habitation-door engages properly. The work should be carried out under warranty and, if the fix involves a new door, so be it.

If the Hymer is secondhand, then I suspect that things may prove trickier as the locks will have been retro-fitted at some time in the past, either DIY or professionally. I’m not sure where a vendor’s responsibility starts and ends with historic ‘aftermarket’ modifications carried out by someone else, but I can imagine that meeting the high cost of a new door and refitting the lock would be resisted by a motorhome dealership.

As has been said above, it’s not easy to understand how this type of lock would be fitted and not secure the door. Robinhood has mentioned that ABUS-made locks often have a striker-plate on the door-frame into which the lock’s latch engages, so adding a striker-plate might be sufficient to allow the door to be secured rather than needing to replace the complete door.

If your Hymer is secondhand and you can contact the previous owner, it would be worth asking about the non-locking lock as - despite there being no visible sign of a striker-plate having been removed - it may still have been present at some stage.

Presumably you have discussed this fault with your motorhome’s vendor? What did they say?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived