Site fees

keen canary

Site fees.

Is it just me or is everybody surprised and fed up at the rising cost of site fees, hook up charges and wifi costs.

Recently visited a small CS site in East Sussex where the electricity was metered and it worked out at about £2 per night. Wifi was free and it worked. We are being ripped on club sites ect and dont get me started on WIFI.

Any one agree.

Keen Canary

Keen Canary,

May I ask if you had ever camped (in any way shape or form) before purchasing your MH late last year?

If you had not then what you are experiencing is the usual rise in prices as demand increases for the summer holidays. Many sites drop prices for the winter months to tempt people out then increase as the summer rush begins.

The C&CC have 'bands' of prices for different seasons and obviously summer will be the most expensive, but as pointed out above they do now offer free WiFi on nearly all their sites.

Keith.

Keithl - 2019-06-13 2:27 PM

The C&CC have 'bands' of prices for different seasons and obviously summer will be the most expensive, but as pointed out above they do now offer free WiFi on nearly all their sites.

Keith.

And if you stay within about ten feet of the reception, you can even use it.

aandy - 2019-06-13 5:25 PM

Keithl - 2019-06-13 2:27 PM

Keith.

And if you stay within about ten feet of the reception, you can even use it.

That used to be the case but over the last twelve months or so every C&CC site we have been on has had near 100% coverage.

Keith.

Stayed at CMC brighton last week and they tried to charge for Wifi. I asked why and they tried the old lame excuse that it's not them it's their contractor who supplies it. They thought I was being a smart arse when I offered to install it for their members at a one off cost of £200. Anyway, I didn't and won't pay for Wifi which costs them nothing

I’m on a site next to Sancerre. It’s €14.50 a night. Free WiFi and it’s warm and sunny. It’s a basic site with hedged pitches and tight manoeuvring space but it’s absolutely fine. I struggle a bit with the thought of having to pay £25-30 a night U.K. prices. Some sites I’ve been on in France are resort quality with new facilities including pool and pizza bar for not much more. Check out Huttopia sites (no connection)

That used to be the case but over the last twelve months or so every C&CC site we have been on has had near 100% coverage.

Keith.

Either you've been lucky or I've been unlucky. Admittedly I've only stayed at three sites since they stopped charging for wifi (I used to rely on 4G before that), but none had a decent signal except right by the reception.

You will struggle to find cheap or low site fees anywhere in UK. Some friends of mine work as site wardens during the season and one they've run the past few years charge £25 a night for mh's and caravans with ehu. Thats for 2 people so tough if like me you 'fly solo' as singles pay the same price which isn't fair at all. Each additional person costs £4 on top, so £33 per night for a family of four.

By comparison i pay an average of £8 quid a night in Poland, Bulgaria and Romania with ehu, full coverage wifi (free...naturally), and many will have either snack bar and/or restaurants serving fresh cooked meals. Even when wild camping i always find a restaurant to have a good meal at and in many cases, the owners are more than happy to let you stay overnight on their parking area....so i make sure i give them good business. One i stayed at overnight last year in Bosnia, the owner even opened up early the following morning to cook me a breakfast. I left her a decent tip.....something i never do in UK.

Guest pelmetman

Currently on a site in Roses Northern Spain 20 euro's ACIS (£18) a night.........Facilities are very posh, a few minutes walking from supermarkets, very smart restaurants (Although the site one is also excellent) beach and of course the Mediterranean B-) ........

P1010858.JPG.8f9e512e22629865ea028cf84563e459.JPG

P1010857.JPG.a53efe24ae79cd57f3248956ef071903.JPG

Billggski - 2019-06-13 1:24 PM

Goodwood Revival, £260 for three nights!

Tickets extra of course.

. Nice quiet pit stop by huge lake in the countryside no facilities no hook up no people no probs just peace and quiet OH no fees perfect

We are members of both Clubs but rarely use their sites - CL/CS yes.

We stayed at Boroughbridge C&CC site 3 weeks ago for one night (high season). £26.35/night two adults + EHU

Value for money? Not in our opinion.

We prefer Britstops, especially farm shops, where we spend the equivalent or more on tea/coffee/breakfast

And last week we spent a night at Helmsley "Aire", free overnight, paid parking during the day. No facilities except public toilet, but its a few minutes walk into town, where we prefer to spend our money

arthur49 - 2019-06-14 9:24 AM

We are members of both Clubs but rarely use their sites - CL/CS yes.

We stayed at Boroughbridge C&CC site 3 weeks ago for one night (high season). £26.35/night two adults + EHU

Value for money? Not in our opinion.

We prefer Britstops, especially farm shops, where we spend the equivalent or more on tea/coffee/breakfast

And last week we spent a night at Helmsley "Aire", free overnight, paid parking during the day. No facilities except public toilet, but its a few minutes walk into town, where we prefer to spend our money

And this is exactly the way to do it! It's a shame but imo many mh'ers and tuggers are authors of their own downfall by not spending money on sites or with the small local businesses. Even when i overnight on Autobahn service areas in Germany, i have meals at the restaurants because unlike here in UK, prices are not silly and also there's no limit or charge to how long you stay....you won't incur penalty fines like you would on UK service areas. Some Autobahn service areas even have purpose built barbeques for anyone to use.

Yesterday we pail nearly £80 for a 3 night stay on C&MH site only to be told today that we have to disconnect from the EHU because our cable was not directly connected from hookup to van, we use a cable drum which connects to the cable from the hookup with a 3 pin plug. It is designed for outside use and has built in safety elements. Of course, no refund for not having electricity. We have used the cable in 7 European countries over the last 2 months, with no problems. I know the club has to be concerned about safety but this really is taking things too far. As for the site fees, we haven’t used many sites in Europe, preferring aires, etc but the most we have paid was €20, and when we left we were given a bag of rolls and a bottle of homemade cherry schnapps.

There is an extra caravan parked in the warden’s compound. This has happened on previous occasions when we have used this site and has been occupied overnight. There is less than 3m between the two vans. If this happens tonight, a complaint will definitely be going to club headquarters or is it one rule for members and another for wardens?

Colin 1325

We stay at a Britstops near Goodwood, we are now classed as "regulars" and they save us a space. Probably because we eat there each night with two bottles of wine to wash it down!

Probably spend more than if we stayed at the circuit.

pottypam - 2019-06-14 4:42 PM

Yesterday we pail nearly £80 for a 3 night stay on C&MH site only to be told today that we have to disconnect from the EHU because our cable was not directly connected from hookup to van, we use a cable drum which connects to the cable from the hookup with a 3 pin plug. It is designed for outside use and has built in safety elements. Of course, no refund for not having electricity. We have used the cable in 7 European countries over the last 2 months, with no problems. I know the club has to be concerned about safety but this really is taking things too far.

That's batty Blighty for you! Persnickety and obsessed with "roooools" and woe betide those that dare disobey! Oddly enough this peculiar obsession with "the rooools" has turned the nation into vigilantes of "little policeman".....take a look at a few clips of helmet cam lycra terrorists on YouTube!

As for the site fees, we haven’t used many sites in Europe, preferring aires, etc but the most we have paid was €20, and when we left we were given a bag of rolls and a bottle of homemade cherry schnapps.

That's European hospitality! I've regularly been handed a few beers, cakes, biscuits or discount for a return visit etc from sites and one in Slovakia pushed a full bottle of Slovakian firewater at me on my departure....70% proof! 8-)

Yours schnapps reminded me of my most memorable though. Last year in Moldova after i'd spent a week staying at a lovely little guest house in a tiny village. Van hooked up on ehu and the little restaurant run single handed by Liuba who cooked the most amazing meals, all fresh with herbs, veg and fruit all home grown (tomatoes like i've never tasted anywhere before).

Moldovans are among the poorest in Europe with an average income of 150 - 200 euro a month, yet really happy people, extremely welcoming and friendly. On leaving, Liuba gave me a bottle of her home made schnapps and a big block of sheep cheese. A hospitality and generosity i will never forget.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Keithl

Re Site Fees

I apologize for not answering sooner but we have been away in the van to South Wales.

Yes I have been camping for around 8 years, 7 of which were in a campervan and now the Eldiss Autotrail as we need a little more comfort now.

Thankyou for answering my post and here is my reply.

I do understand the banding price system and realise WiFi is now free on most CCC sites.

My point was and my view is that we join a club for a number of reasons, one being to save money by belonging to a club that is run primarily for the members. We should be able to under cut privately run sites of similar size by cutting down on margins. I realise that even clubs such as the CCC need funds for capital expenditure and running repairs ect but so do privately run sites. We are now paying more than ever as members and a yearly membership fee. I like most members could give you a list of 1st class sites they have visited and paid less per night than at a club site.

I have ask the CCC who,s idea it was to update the site reviews ( not been available for some weeks, and just when you need them most, in the summer) but just as you would expect no reply. I have let them know of my views on site fees, no reply.

Sorry to rant on but these are my views and if you agree I think we should all let the CCC know our views.

Probably not going to renew my membership this coming year.

Keen Canary

I wrote to C CC club re increasing number of sites requiring multiple nights booking , pointing out that this was discriminatory against those of us who like to tour and move on. The response was basically we want bookings for longer periods to maximise our takings so tough luck! You can always phone sites on the day to see if there is any space. This of course assumes a ) you have a phone signal and b) someone answers the phone without answer phone cutting in referring you to their website

Last week we had a few days on grass pitch (no EHU) at Sennen Cove C&CC £15 a night, prior to that we had a few days at commercial site at Marazion with EHU £19 a night. As for CL's and CS's, many say " we've been on CL for peanuts", well we've never found a cheap CL.

I think the site at Las Vegas is still the most expensive we've ever stayed at.

There are a few cheapish cl's and cs's around but a lot of the new ones are asking £20.00 per night !

Unfortunately for them, they won't get that from me. lol

I booked the ccc site at Wolverley for this Friday and because I only wanted one night I could only have a grass pitch with no electric, however, if there was a hard standing pitch with electric I could upgrade.

I won't bother for one night though.

Pete

Archived