Solar charge controller issue / charging ??

suethedriver

I checked my panel & controller today in my motorhome & it said leisure battery very poor , nothing lit up on solar controller box at all !

Has been fine all year through all weather previously .

Took for mot last week and vehicle battery was flat too ! that has been fine too and regularly started and run . (1 x terminal was removed briefly before jump starting )

Could these issues be connected ?

Anyway i have checked fuses in solar control box ( ok ) Wellsee WS MPPT30

Done a reset by removing fuse in leisure batt line & to solar box leaving for 10 mins then reconnecting ( panel covered on roof !)

still not working.

On hook up now and battery is going up now 12.1 v currently.

The leisure batt fuse bit is very hot and batt is making a bit of a hissing sound .

Any ideas please what else i can try .

Don`t have a manual for solar at all ( van bought used last feb )

Thanks.

If the battery is hissing it is seriously gassing off and VERY DANGEROUS!

The gas released is Hydrogen and highly flammable, be VERY careful not to create any sparks anywhere near it. Open all doors and windows and allow the gas to escape.

Keith.

The charge controller you have, the Wellsee WS MPPT30, is a poor design and not a MPPT controller, its a badly designed PWM controller.

Its quite possible this controller incorrectly charged your battery and caused the issues you are having.

Mike

Sounds like an internal plate has collapsed in the leisure battery, mine did something similar in 2019 while camping, make sure the gas has dissipated before disturbing any connections (might smell like rotten eggs)

The vehicle battery may have been dragged down by the failing leisure battery, but this depends on how the controller distributes the current or it may have naturally discharged as all the charge current has been directed towards the failing leisure battery, making the situation even worse.

once you have removed the failed battery, wash out the battery box with a mix of water and diluted white vinegar to neutralise any acidic remains especially exposed metal surfaces.

rajohno - 2021-03-04 9:29 AM

Sounds like an internal plate has collapsed in the leisure battery, mine did something similar in 2019 while camping, make sure the gas has dissipated before disturbing any connections (might smell like rotten eggs)

The vehicle battery may have been dragged down by the failing leisure battery, but this depends on how the controller distributes the current or it may have naturally discharged as all the charge current has been directed towards the failing leisure battery, making the situation even worse.

once you have removed the failed battery, wash out the battery box with a mix of water and diluted white vinegar to neutralise any acidic remains especially exposed metal surfaces.

Exactly the route my mind was going down after reading the OP.

A cell falling over is so typical a failure mode, one sometimes with following serious consequences to charging systems.

rajohno - 2021-03-04 9:29 AM

wash out the battery box with a mix of water and diluted white vinegar to neutralise any acidic remains especially exposed metal surfaces.

White vinegar is acidic so probably better to use something mildly alkaline like diluted baking soda?

Archived