Solar panel charging issues

simon ackroyd

Hi all.

I am new to this forum so this could be a little messy.

I recently changed my platinum plus battery for a Lifepo4 from Sterling batteries.

I have a Ctek 250se B2B the battery is charging fine from Smart Alternator and from on board battery charger but does not seem to be receiving a current from the Solar panel.

The habitation display panel shows the usual voltage and current flow information and in the current weather showing around 2.2Amps coming from the solar panel, but the BMS APP shows 0Amps with no apparent increase in % over the whole day.

Note: It was working previously.

I have been tearing my hair out.

Can anyone suggest any solution.

Thanks

Simon

Your observation "The habitation display panel shows the usual voltage and current flow information and in the current weather showing around 2.2Amps coming from the solar panel", can only mean some 30 plus Watts are being put somewhere, even if the battery's BMS App is failing to display it, or detect any increase in battery capacity.

Do these things have minimum voltage and current thresholds and under present conditions the achieved volts and 2.2 amps is not enough to do any charging, just that resulting 30 odd Watts being lost as heat?

Is the solar controller one with a Lithium battery charging profile, and set to that mode?

The current reading of at least some habitation display panels is adjustable. Have you confirmed that with all appliances switched off, the displayed current is approximately zero?

If you have a genuine 2.2A it must be going somewhere!

The CTEK 250SE is switched between various profiles, by connecting a control wire to either +12V, 0V, or a disconnection. Have you made the correct connection when changing habitation battery type?

Alan

simon ackroyd - 2021-10-19 6:24 PM

...Note: It was working previously...

Does that mean that your vehicle’s electrical system was operating as expected when the Platinum battery was in place and the present issue became apparent immediatey after you had swapped to the Sterling Power lithium battery?

Or was the electrical system operating as expected for a period after the battery change and the solar issue has just shown up?

Not sure it will help in this instance, but having some details of your vehicle would do no harm

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/-IDENTIFYING-YOUR-MOTORHOME-/54713/

It might also be useful to know whether fitting the CTEK B2B and/or the lithium attery was carried out ‘professionally’ or DIY.

(Sterling Power LiFePO4 batteries were discussed here earlier this year.)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Sterling-Power-LiFePO4-Lithium-Leisure-Batteries/58176/

Hi

I have been on to battery manufacturers and while they don't have a minimum input voltage or current he did say they don't always show very low current.

I have connected the control wires from CTEKD250 correctly form lithium as far as I know.

I am not sure about habitation panel I just assumed it was a display not a adjustable controller.

Perhaps I need to look closer.

Hi Keith

The B2B is Ctek250se I think the on board battery charger is not an issue as it is charging the Battery fine its the supply from the Solar that is not getting through to the battery.

The habitation control panel is CBE PC380 Iam beginning to think that this is where the problem lies. I am looking through manual to work out if there is something I need to change.

simon ackroyd - 2021-10-20 2:06 PM

...The habitation control panel is CBE PC380 Iam beginning to think that this is where the problem lies. I am looking through manual to work out if there is something I need to change.

CBE-made equipment is popular with motorhome converters as it’s relatively inexpensive and ‘kits’ are marketed comprising the essential components that can be linked together straightforwardly.

The PC380 is ‘programmable’, though its functionality will depend on which CBE Distribution Box a kit includes and how the converter has installed the equipment. The basic (cheapest) kit uses a DS300 Distribution Box. An example is advertised here

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/cbe-pc380-digital-control-panel-kit.html

and there’s a User Manual here

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2134105/Cbe-Pc380-St.html?page=16#manual

I’d be tempted to refit the Platinum battery to see if that ’cured’ the solar-panel charging issue. (I assume you changed the CBE battery-charger’s setting when you fitted the lithium battery.) If solar-panel charging then operated OK, you’d know that the problem lay with the lithium battery installation: if solar-panel charging did not operate OK, you’d know that the problem lay with the CBE equipment.

Archived