Steering wheel lock for Fiat Ducato

Boris

I have never got the hang of the forum search so apologies if this subject has been explored before. We are looking for recommendations from members for a steering wheel lock for our 2017 Ducato. Any help would be appreciated please. Thanks. Barry

Got the same as John52, seems a beefy beast, but I'd add my gem of advice - consider where you're going to store it. They are all heavy items of metal, which take space up and need to be safety put away so they won't kill you flying at your head in an accident!

I originally looked at through the steering wheel locks but settled on a medium size disklok. I bought mine from Carnoisseur at £122 delivered. Good service and about £20 cheaper than Halfords.

Disadvantages: Needs a home when not in use. (It certainly is a chunk of metal. When not in use it fits, just, between the footwell face and the door pocket.)

More expensive than bar locks.

More fiddly to use than bar locks. But I’m getting used to it.

Advantages: Police and Thatcham approved.

Looks the part.

There may be other pros and cons that I haven’t found yet. So far I’m happy with it.

Cattwg :-D

Steering and wheel locks are both bulky and heavy so I have gone for an alternative solution

To prevent the van from being driven the drivers seat is rotated and then prevented from returning to the driving position by fitting a heavy duty padlock to the lower frame.

At the front of the frame on both sides there are 2 small plastic pads on which the seat rests when in the driving position. I removed the pad nearest to the door and enlarged the rectangular hole with a file to allow the hasp of the padlock to pass through. This prevents the seat from returning to the front so I hope makes it impossible to drive.

When the padlock is not in use I made a pad with a larger lug to fit the enlarged hole so the seat remains steady in the driving position. All done at no cost as I had the padlock (previously used on a gun cabinet) and some acrylic already for the replacement pad. The photo I hope shows the finished version. Sorry about the poor quality of the photo.

Dick

422815439_Seatlock1.jpg.2b7a3daf608c72576e2a41a5faac7158.jpg

The attraction of steering wheel locks is principally their conspicuity and deterrence value. Those which are highly visible and are likely to deter thieves because they will have to spend time removing them while being visible to passers while doing so are suitable. Steering locks may have relatively little value if your MH is parked out of public view.

For those reasons the very large and clumsy types are less attractive because they are more cumbersome to store, even if would take a thief a bit longer to remove when they are attached.

Whilst I use a Disklok on my van when it is parked at home, along with other measures, I don't carry it in the van when in use. I do carry a Trade Vehicle Locks Pedalbox, which when not in use sits in the passenger footwell and acts as a handy footrest for Mrs D, who having shorter legs than me and being perched on a seat raised by the addition of a swivel turntable, appreciates the additional floor height that it provides.

But one of, if not the best measure you can take is to fit an OBD port lock, which encases the vehicle's diagnostic socket in a locked steel cage, since the majority of thefts these days simply involve a thief plugging a dedicated device not much larger than a cigarette packet into the diagnostic port, which overrides the immobiliser system allowing the engine to be started in a matter of seconds.

Diskloks can be removed in about 4 minutes by a determined thief, and any other type of steering lock that dies not fully encase the steering wheel even quicker.

Archived