Swift Bessacarr 2018/2019 Model - Deadlock question

tmdgts

Can anyone please confirm:

Does the Deadlock black button next to the red button (Hazard lights) with a padlock sign on (on the front dash) Deadlock both front cab doors and the habitation door? when locked when inside the vehicle?

Can anyone check for me please and let me know.

Meant to say the base vehicle is a Fiat Ducato.

As Keith says, you can't deadlock any doors from internal locking buttons for safety reasons. Ducato factory deadlocks, if fitted, can only be enabled with a double press on the remote fob locking button.

The locking switch on the dash panel should lock (not deadlock) all doors on a panel van. On a coachbuilt MH, it will depend how the converter has implemented locking on the van door, and whether it has been integrated into the base vehicle's central locking system.

Caddies104 - 2019-03-05 4:44 PM

Hi

Not in our van at present but we use that switch at night to lock up, then light flashes when set.

Thank you for your reply, do you know if this deadlocks your cab and habitation doors?

tmdgts - 2019-03-05 7:56 PM

Thank you for your reply, I am simply wishing to know whether the button, with padlock symbol, actually deadlocks the cab doors and habitation door.

Re-reading your question are you asking if it locks cab doors AND hab door as opposed to whether it 'Locks' or 'Deadlocks' ?

When you say 'Deadlock' are you simply meaning 'Lock' or the automotive definition of 'Unable to open from inside' ?

Keith.

Keithl - 2019-03-05 8:12 PM

Thank you for your reply, I am simply wishing to know whether the button, with padlock symbol, actually deadlocks the cab doors and habitation door.

Do you have a 2018/9 Ducato model?

Re-reading your question are you asking if it locks cab doors AND hab door as opposed to whether it 'Locks' or 'Deadlocks' ?

When you say 'Deadlock' are you simply meaning 'Lock' or the automotive definition of 'Unable to open from inside' ?

Keith.

tmdgts - 2019-03-05 8:16 PM

Keith.

I mean when the black button is pressed does this deadlock the cab and habitation doors and these will not open with the handles unless the black button, with padlock symbol, is then pressed again, so deadlocked.

Thanks for your help.

tmdgts - 2019-03-05 8:16 PM

Keith.

No, as I will never own a Ducato (through personal preference).

tmdgts - 2019-03-05 8:21 PM

I mean when the black button is pressed does this deadlock the cab and habitation doors and these will not open with the handles unless the black button, with padlock symbol, is then pressed again, so deadlocked.

Thanks for your help.

OK, I think we are going round in circles here because you are using confusing language. As Keith has said, pressing that button on the dashboard will lock the doors of the vehicle (including the habitation door if Swift have included this on the central locking system), such that you cannot open them from the outside without a key. It does not set the alarm or the IR sensors. When you press the button you should hear the doors locking quite clearly. We do this every night before going to bed.

Deadlocks are something different and unless you have specified them they are unlikely to be fitted to the vehicle. These are separate high security locks that have their own separate keys on the outside, and you are usually able to slide a bolt on the inside. Deadlocks, where fitted, are unlikely to be part of the vehicle automatic locking system.

Hope this helps,

Laurence - 2019-03-05 8:59 PM

Deadlocks are something different and unless you have specified them they are unlikely to be fitted to the vehicle. These are separate high security locks that have their own separate keys on the outside, and you are usually able to slide a bolt on the inside. Deadlocks, where fitted, are unlikely to be part of the vehicle automatic locking system.

Hope this helps,

Laurence,

In automotive language 'Deadlock' is referred to locking a door so it CANNOT be opened from the inside. I believe what you are referring to as separate locks are more commonly called 'Deadbolts'.

Here is an explanation of the term 'Deadlock'...

https://www.quora.com/What-does-deadlock-mean-in-reference-to-a-car

Keith.

The padlock symbol when pressed will lock the cab and habitation doors the red light will illuminate for a period of time and then go out. In this mode whilst locked from the outside the doors can be opened from the insid.

Ducato factory deadlocks are a modification to the central locking system, which isolates the internal lock handles and locking buttons from the door locking motors when engaged, meaning as already explained that the doors cannot be opened from the inside or by breaking a window from outside and leaning in to unlock a door via the internal handle.

They are only fitted as standard to vehicles built to UK specification, which effectively means only panel vans ordered through and supplied via the UK dealer network. Back to back cabs and motorhome bare chassis for conversion are not equipped with factory deadlocks as standard, although they can be ordered as an option, but it is doubtful that any converters would do so, particularly continental converters where it is normal for the standard vans not to be fitted with deadlocks anyway.

A peculiarity of the factory deadlock system is that, unlike many other vehicles which have deadlocks that can be set using a specific procedure with the key in the door lock, Ducato deadlocks can only be set via two presses in quick succession of the remote control central locking button.

Central locking, where all doors can be locked by a single use of the key in a door lock, via a single press of the remote fob locking button or the lock button on the dash panel, is standard on all current model Ducato vans. Whether or not the central locking function extends to the habitation door of a coachbuilt motorhome will depend on the converter having connected the habitation door lock to the base vehicle locking system. Central locking does not prevent the locked doors being opened from inside the vehicle using individual door release handles or one of the locking/unlocking buttons inside the vehicle.

Archived