TV for motorhome

theoldnick

My existing tv is very small and over ten years old and I am looking to uprate to a more modern style with a built in DVD system and 12 volt and 240 volt options.

20inch would be the biggest we could mount, any good experience from anyone recently buying a tv.

Sorry for being so behind the times.

How do you get the films onto the stick. I have a sky box and a Samsung smart tv in the house but can record onto the sky box but do not know how to get them onto a stick??

Thanks for the quick response

We recently bought a 16" Cello TV Combo thru' Amazon. Its a great TV with DVD/CD/Radio/USB etc.

It was deld within 3 days. We recently used it at Kielder Water Site on Sunday thru' the EHU tower, managed to get 30 channels but have had up to a total of 83 channels (don't know what they all were)

no probs at any time we have used it.

A couple of things to consider.

Wide viewing angle, make sure of this either from specs or seeing the TV in action.

Power consumption, if you only do EHU then shouldn't be a problem, but if you rely on batteries it can be important.

We have a Avtex as it has built in satellite decoder, wide viewing angles and low power consumption, the downside is it doesn't have a good EPG on satellite.

I bought a 19" Cello Traveller a couple of years ago.

Good points; built in sat decoder, DVD, USB input, low power consumption, fairly cheap (£220).

Not so good points; sound is a tad tinny, viewing angle not bad but could be better, poor EPG programme guide.

It also has Freeview so can be used with a terrestrial aerial in UK.

For the price, it does all what I need.

We have just bought a avtex tv with dvd. We have found it easy to use great picture. If you ring avtex they will advise you what model is best for yor needs. They were very helpful to us as our viewing position is high up.

We had a 12v tv which I can't remember the name. I couldn't programme it for new locations and the picture wasn't very good looking from an angle. We bought an avtex 2 years ago and haven't looked bk, I can program it easily, the picture is so much better from any angle. Avtex for us.

• 3 years later...

Agree with other contributors, DVD is way out of date now.

Having previously had a 12/240 volt traveller TV with DVD, we've completely converted to a smart CELLO TV with sat tuner.

https://tv-village.net/product/cello-traveller-tv-c22230t2-22-inch-tv-with-android-and-satellite-tuner-full-hd/

Brilliant bit of kit for only £155.

Works perfectly when linked to a MiFi.

Also have more room in the lockers now that the DVDs have gone. Never did watch most of them anyway.

Thoroughly recommend the CELLO Smart TV with the special controller that acts as a computer mouse.

I've used a couple of Cello TVs in previous motorhomes with no issues. They are decent value and picture quality is decent enough, although I agree that the viewing angle can be a little narrow, so you need to take a bit more time setting them up on the mount. Speakers on most flat screen TVs are pretty poor so I have always added some cheap USB speakers from eBay, which make a huge difference.

Den - 2020-05-25 8:11 PM

A 4 year old thread been rekindled. Strange.

The Gtech thread from 3 years ago was rekindled just the other day.

I suspect 'rayshow' is a spammer as his previous posts all resurrect old threads with slightly off topic posts, I'm watching for his next move!

Keith.

PS And the spammer on the Gtech thread has now been banned!

Keithl - 2020-05-25 8:29 PM

Den - 2020-05-25 8:11 PM

A 4 year old thread been rekindled. Strange.

The Gtech thread from 3 years ago was rekindled just the other day.

I suspect 'rayshow' is a spammer as his previous posts all resurrect old threads with slightly off topic posts, I'm watching for his next move!

Keith.

PS And the spammer on the Gtech thread has now been banned!

The IP Address for user-name “rayshow” points to the Ukraine.

Reviving an old thread (rather than starting a new thread) is referred to as ’necroposting’.

https://en.scratch-wiki.info/wiki/Necropost

Following the bout of spam posting a few years ago, registering in order to post to these forums was changed so that involvement by the forum Administrator is nowadays necessary. This prevents ‘instant’ registration, but does limit the attractiveness of these forums to spammers. The registration process is not fail-safe however as, even if the Administrator thinks that a user’s IP Address might be suspicious, it won’t be known for sure whether the user is a potential spammer until they start posting. (At the moment there are several forum users whose IP Address indicates they are in ‘foreign’ countries, but their postings clearly prove that they are not spammers.)

“rayshow” registered on 30 November 2019 and commented (very briiefly) on 2 December 2019 on a thread that was then currently running.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/TV-storage-in-winter/53823/

This was followed by a more lengthy posting on 3 December 2019 (as an addition to a thread that had halted in July 2019) with another similar posting occurring the following day.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fire-stick-or-another-box-for-tv/52579/

I have sent a PM to rayshow and asked for an explanation as to why he/she has just posted to a 2016 thread.

Another one for Avtex, may be a little more expensive than some others but have had no problems, has built in decoders for both FreeSat and FreeView, has both usb sockets and HDMI's and for some strange reason as already noted, DVD not even BluRay which is definitely old hat.

Regarding the comments concerning the limited EPG when using satellite channels. I believe that most of the receivers mentioned just have a Free To Air (FTA) satellite decoder "built in" as opposed to a FreeSat decoder. (Certainly that is the case with my Avtech). The former are only able to display Now and Next EPGs as opposed to FreeSat 's EPG and the terrestrial FreeView's EPG. The latter two EPGs provide full 7 day programme details. I don't have Sky and so comment what the result might be if a Sky box is connected.

I'd certainly agree with the comments about viewing angles, the OP should consider this aspect as well.

Archived