Thetford Fridge Freezer Water spillage

pjohns2

Our 2015 Autotrail Tracker FB is fitted with a Thetford N3000 model B fridge Freezer

I removed the lower external vent and found an open plastic container fitted to the back of the fridge full of water which had overflowied onto the MH floor under the fridge - This container is part of the water drain system taking water from the freezer drain gully under the freezer fins , my question why is this water not drained directed outside of the vehicle rather than collected in this plastic container. obviously this open container will spill its contents when the MH is in transit and soak the MH floor. I know from design of this type of fridge the water is supposed to evaporate from the container and not spill onto the floor but this is not the case, Any reason why this cannot be vented externally to the MH (?)

No reason, other than perhaps an insect might crawl up it. Ours overflows when I'm defrosting the fridge and I've got some thin rubbery pipe I'm going to extend it with when I remember. The professional way to do it would be to fit an overflow in the top of the little tank.

Normal domestic fridges have a container on top of the compressor which evaporates it a bit better.

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum,

I thought exactly the same with our 2004 AT so added a drain to the clear plastic cup. I drilled a hole in the bottom then added a small fitting and nylon tube routed down through the gas drop vent below the cup. Washer tubing may work if you can get a suitable fitting.

I did leave the original cup in situ rather than removing it, my thinking being if ever my added drain got blocked or frozen then the cup would work still as original.

Keith.

OK It has finally stopped raining!

It's a bit difficult to get in for photos but hopefully this gives you the idea...

I used a Legris fitting like this and a short length of 4 mm nylon tubing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LE-3601-04-52-4MM-X-M6X1-MALE-STUD-BSPP-METRIC-Legris-C9000-QRCs-Tube-/331880261100?hash=item4d459ae5ec:g:bWUAAOSwvg9XXjRQ

I'm sure there are other fittings around but this was one I had to hand.

Keith.

PS I added a drain rather than an overflow to prevent water sitting in the cup and either spilling or going bad.

1612948543_FridgeDrain1.JPG.902d798874e363942807699b5c22e61b.JPG

546570674_FridgeDrain2.JPG.fbd72c6e067aa537485163ced21c7f3a.JPG

Same problem with the Dometic RM8500 fridge in my Bailey. I checked the condensate container a couple of times in holiday and there was only a bit of water in the bottom but there had been some spillage too. Today I looked again and it was nearly full. I've now removed the container altogether and led a larger diameter hose down through the floor and fed the fridge drain hose into that.

Archived