Tracker or alarm

Billbob

An alarm is supposed to scare thieves and prevent theft in the first place whereas a tracker allows the vehicle to be located and recovered after the theft so you would think that an alarm would be better. Not sure an alarm is actually much of a deterrent as who pays any attention anyway and who is going to intervene other than possibly you. I'm sure an experienced thief could override the alarm before anyone took notice. I guess a tracker might be better all round. How much of an insurance discount can you get with either option?

Does your insurance require one or the other ?

Mine specified that a Thatcham Approved tracker was a requirement when I changed vans (probably as the value had gone over some arbitrary threshold) with no requirement (or extra discount) for an alarm, so it got a Global Telemetrics tracker & no alarm. IIRC it was £400 for the hardware installation & £400 for "lifetime" monitoring.

Nigel B

mgnbuk - 2018-11-05 7:57 AM

Does your insurance require one or the other ?

Mine specified that a Thatcham Approved tracker was a requirement when I changed vans (probably as the value had gone over some arbitrary threshold) with no requirement (or extra discount) for an alarm, so it got a Global Telemetrics tracker & no alarm. IIRC it was £400 for the hardware installation & £400 for "lifetime" monitoring.

Nigel B

Have the same Tracker. Worked without fault for the last 5 years. Would recommend without hesitation.

Hi

Cannot answer which is best but an odd thing happened earlier in the year with our Phantom tracker..

Had a text message from the company to say they were about to ring me as our Van was moving but not the engine??

Had to tell them we were on a Dover to Calais Ferry! Good to know they were efficient though.

Bill,

When I changed my van the insurer insisted on a Cat 1 alarm, plus either a Cat 5 or Cat 6 tracker.

I have the same tracker from Global Telemetrics as Nigel, and I am very pleased with it. Like him I have the lifetime price, but this is only for me as long as I own the van - a new owner would have to pay for a contract.

I had a similar incident to Derek & Pauline, getting vehicle alerts going across the Bay of Biscay on the way to Santander, but now I ring them in advance and they turn it off for a few hours. It all works very easily.

Regards,

I sold our van recently, and the tracker (HAL) went with it. It was no problem for the new owner to take out a contract with the company, and just pay for the tracking. Surely, your current company will renew for you at less of a cost for a new system. The new van has the "Outsmart the thief" alarm and tracker, and I am very pleased with the system and the service.

Caddies104 - 2018-11-06 4:05 PM

Hi

Cannot answer which is best but an odd thing happened earlier in the year with our Phantom tracker..

Had a text message from the company to say they were about to ring me as our Van was moving but not the engine??

Had to tell them we were on a Dover to Calais Ferry! Good to know they were efficient though.

Presumably it is linked to the ignition. Mine does the same, but I can set it to Transport mode via a phone app before sailing or being put on a recovery vehicle to prevent alarms. I can also set it to Maintenance mode during servicing, since disconnecting the vehicle battery also sends a tracker alert and activates the alarm system.

• 4 years later...
On 11/6/2018 at 4:05 PM, Caddies104 said:

Hi

Had the same experience crossing from Rosslare  to Pembroke Dock a few years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

I’m hoping to take delivery of a new van in January and for piece of mind and promises of insurance discounts I’m currently researching GPS/ GSM Tracker devices S7/S6/S5. I see there are many alternatives offered on the market and I’m trying to strike the balance between features / price. I see many claim to be motorhome specific but I’m really interested to hear from other MH owners what you would recommend please?

Hilly 

Hi Hilly and welcome,

First a question, have you got any insurance quotes for your new van yet and if so have they made any requirements for an alarm or tracker to be fitted?

If you haven't got any quotes yet then I suggest doing so now as if an insurance company makes fitment a requirement then they will have a list of approved devices and will rarely accept fitment of any other device.

And having a 'non-approved' device fitted will likely then make fitting of an approved device even more costly!

Keith.

Hi Keith, thanks and in reply yes I’ve had a couple and one referred to a ‘Thatcham’ approved tracker device. The list of models seemed endless. I’ll try speaking to some insurance companies direct. 

Regards 

Mark

Hi Hilly

i have owned both caravan and Motorhome, my caravan, which was six months old, was stolen despite hitch lock, wheel clamps, tracker all rated high security by insurer.  Unfortunately if professional thieves want your vehicle the best you could do is to make it as difficult as you can. In my case the wheel lock was made inactive by putting a skate board under the wheel and tracker removed and left on side of road — apparently according to the Police there are devises for sale on the web which will locate these devices 

With hindsight, as indeed I have now done,  I would install a collapsible pole in the drive, concreting it in at the maximum depth you can. This is accepted by most insurance companies as a desirable deterrent 

hope this is of help and hopefully you will enjoy your purchase for many years to come

Brian

2 hours ago, Brian Whitford said:

With hindsight, as indeed I have now done,  I would install a collapsible pole in the drive, concreting it in at the maximum depth you can. This is accepted by most insurance companies as a desirable deterrent 

Before You undertake this check with your insurance as I dug a 3 ft hole filled with concrete with a metal pipe in the centre of my drive with the capability to lock a HD 4" pipe into it. My insurance company wouldn't accept it needing it to be one of their approved  designs. So least ways I now know anyone will have a difficult job getting the car off the drive when we are away with the Van 

Why do you write it as either or? I have both on my m/h and so far no issues. The alarm was dealer fitted before purchase, the tracker is from Rewire Security and I've fitted TWO, on the basis that thieves might search for one but are unlikely to search for a second and for the £25 cost it's worth it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224752021699?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338723872&toolid=20006&customid=XUj1b7ATAAAAqMTKg81UonWgBpIZAAAAAA  

I have both a tracker and two alarms.

The alarm that came with the motorhome (Cobra) is dated but operates the central locking so I have left it in, but fitted an up to date alarm/camera to run alongside. Also means that we can check on the dog if we have to leave him for a short while. The tracker is hidden ***** the ******* and is simple to connect with a prepaid Giffgaff sim.

Both are linked to apps on the phone and cost less than £120 for both systems.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived