Truma Combi 6E (CBE603)

vaughan

Had a strange problem with our heating in our 2009 Hobby.

Set heating (not water heating) to number 3 for an overnight stay on electric. Didn't work.

Tried it on Gas, nothing. tried both. Again nothing.

I selected for both the heating and water heating to come on and everything works, gas and/or electric.

Anyone come across this before

I'll try and attach a photo of the system that works now.

28490061_20181125_1453021.jpg.8b9116bc3d869b4f870c92c7f535cb3a.jpg

The operating instructions relating to a 2009 Combi 6E are here

https://dealernew.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma_Katalog/pdf_verzeichnis/30_000/34020_29300.pdf

The arrow in your photo points to setting “m” in the control-panel drawing on Page 14

m = Winter operation

(heating without water temperature monitoring

or with drained water system)

which equates to warm-air heating primarily with water-heating as a secomdary by-product (if the heater has not been drained).

If warm-air heating plus ‘deliberate’ water heating is required, setting “n” on the control-panel drawing should be selected.

n = Winter operation

(heating with water temperature monitoring)

However, provided that the Power Selector rotary-switch has been correctly set, the heater should do something when the control-panel is switched on, if it’s only the green “Operation” LED that illuminates.

If you are saying that the green “Operation” LED only illuminates when the control-panel switch is set to the “m” position, but does not illuminate when set to the “I” or “n” position, there may be a problem with the control-panel or with the heater’s PCB.

It seems I'm the product of my own memory loss. Of course you are correct. I have been using these combi systems for about 8 years and I have forgotten and ignored my own procedures, that is to pull out the controls little diagram and look at what I want to select. I failed in this basic procedure this time due to lack of alcoholic stimulus.... As I have been unable to delete my post I hang my head in shame and crack open another bottle of amber nectar.

There's nothing wrong with the heating it's me the problem lies with.

Thanks

Vaughan, you are not alone. I keep the card from Truma next to the heating control. We were out in the van for the day on Thursday and pulled over for a cuppa. As it was nippy, I decided to put on the heater but not the water. I hadn't done this for over a year. As the red warning light came on, I scratched my head and wondered why the heating wasn't working. It then dawned on me that I'd selected the gas and electric power setting not the gas setting.Then I had the sense of check my card!

vaughan - 2018-11-25 7:37 PM

It seems I'm the product of my own memory loss. Of course you are correct. I have been using these combi systems for about 8 years and I have forgotten and ignored my own procedures, that is to pull out the controls little diagram and look at what I want to select. I failed in this basic procedure this time due to lack of alcoholic stimulus.... As I have been unable to delete my post I hang my head in shame and crack open another bottle of amber nectar.

There's nothing wrong with the heating it's me the problem lies with.

Thanks

Vaughan,

I could quite easily delete your entire post but feel it would be better left for the next poor soul who also can't remember how to operate a Trauma (sic) Combi.

Keith.

Paul

That depends on how the motorhome converter has wired in the heater...

UK motorcaravan converters have (since the mid-1990s) included in a motorhome’s electrical system an ‘isolation relay’ that disables the operation of certain 12V-powered habitation appliances when the motorhome’s motor is running. This (often infuriating!) approach was discussed here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Why-disable-the-Habitation-12v-electrics-when-the-Engine-starts-/46665/

and it seems from your comment that Auto-Sleepers chooses to disable the 12V supply to a Combi heater when their motorhomes’ motor is running which, of course, means that a Combi’s design-capability of being operated safely in a moving vehicle will not be possible.

Having said that, your comment is apposite as Combis are seemingly ‘sequence sensitive’ when switching them on. Unlike Truma’s C-6002EH appliance (that was the predecessor to the Combi E) the Combi clearly has a much longer start-up procedure that (so I was informed by a Truma technician) includes an initial exhaustive self-checking routine. The first thing that seems to be checked when a Combi is switched on is whether there’s an active 12V power-supply - and if there is not the Combi will remain lifeless until (a) an active 12V power-supply has been provided and after that (b) the heater has been switched off and on again.

My Rapido’s control-panel has a main ON/OFF button, a 2nd button that turns on 12V power for the majority of the habitation services, and a 3rd button that turns on power to the water-pump and toilet-flush valve. If I switch on the Rapido’s Combi heater and then press the control-panel’s 2nd button, the heater will not start up. In order to get the Combi heater to react I then need to switch it off and then back on again. So the critical thing (that I occasionally forget) is to make sure that the Combi heater is receiving 12V power before switching it on. (Whether or not the Rapido’s motor is running at the time is irrelevant as (not being UK-built) a Rapido’s electrical system does not include a daft “EMC” isolation-relay.)

I’m still not sure why Vaughan’s Combi heater failed to operate, as (provided that the Power Selector Switch is set appropriately for 230V heating and 230V power is avaiable at the heater) I’d expect the heater to react when any of the “I”, “m” or “n” settings are selected on the Combi’s Control Panel.

I’ve never had any logical difficulty with Truma’s two-rotary-switches approach to controlling their gas/230V combination air/water heaters. Just select the appropriate ‘fuel source’ on the Power Selector Switch and then use the Control-Panel to choose what you want the heater to do. If the heater stays dead (no lights on the Control Panel rotary-switch) try turning both rotary-switches to their base settings (“d” on the Power Selector Switch and “o” on the Control Panel) confirm that the heater OUGHT to be getting 12V power (2nd button illuminated on my Rapido’s control-panel) and then reset the two Truma rotary-switches appropriately.

Archived