Tyre Inflation

Sparky7

You need a fairly powerful motor to achieve a reasonably fast inflation rate and to achieve the requited pressure. This places a quite high demand on the battery, and is likely to mean that the dashboard socket will be inadequate for the required current.

I therefore went for one of these in 2013. http://tinyurl.com/ya639tjr They seem to have gone up in price since then! Works well and seems very robust.

As Brian mentioned, you really need to power the more highly powered inflators direct from the starter battery. These can draw up to over 20amps, so not suitable to use a cigarette socket type connection.

If the OP has a Fiat Ducato based MH from 2006 (X250), this has a convenient 12v outlet in the engine compartment where crocodile clips can be attached. Red clip to +12v outlet and Black clip to somewhere convenient on engine block, usually engine lifting hook.

This does mean, however, that the inflator is located at the front of the van. To reach the rear tyres you really need a flexible (coiled) air-line as used on the Ring RAC900 (other similar inflators are available which include a coiled air-line).

The choice of tyre-inflator will (or should) depend on what one wants to do with it.

Brian has chosen a mains-powered inflator that should have plenty of ‘oomph’, but will need a 230V power-supply to operate. OK for home use or on a campsite, but not if a 230V supply is unavailable and you don’t have an inverter or generator. I’ve chosen a powerful T-MAX 12V inflator, but I need to connect it directly to a 12V battery due to the inflator’s high amperage requirement.

I have two other 12V tyre-pumps - an ancient one that was never able to cope with the high pressure a motorhome tyre is normally inflated to but will still handle our car’s tyres, and a more recent Ring RAC-700 pump

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/reviews/accessory/31672-ring-rac700-4x4-air-compressor

Nowadays my Ring inflator will blow a dashboard-socket’s fuse, but will still operate if directly connected to a 12V battery. However it also overheats if asked to pump above 60psi for any length of time, so it’s no longer any use for my motorhome.

Cheap 12V inflators are marketed that have many of the features of much more expensive pumps (example here)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vehicle-12V-150PSI-Air-Compressor-Heavy-Duty-Car-Tyre-Inflator-Pump-High-power-/122793128420?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10

but the only way to confirm how well they work in practice (and how long they will last) is to buy one and use it.

I suffered a slow puncture on our recent foreign trip, was able to top the tyre up at a petrol station, drive to a garage and have the puncture fixed.  If this had not been possible I could have rung my breakdown service and they would have sent someone to change the wheel.

The 12v compressor I've had for over ten years and never used still hasn't been used.  No idea whether it would actually do the job if necessary.  It's one of the things I'm considering taking out of the motorhome.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-11-11 8:55 AM

The choice of tyre-inflator will (or should) depend on what one wants to do with it.

Brian has chosen a mains-powered inflator that should have plenty of ‘oomph’, but will need a 230V power-supply to operate. OK for home use or on a campsite, but not if a 230V supply is unavailable and you don’t have an inverter or generator. I’ve chosen a powerful T-MAX 12V inflator, but I need to connect it directly to a 12V battery due to the inflator’s high amperage requirement.

I have two other 12V tyre-pumps - an ancient one that was never able to cope with the high pressure a motorhome tyre is normally inflated to but will still handle our car’s tyres, and a more recent Ring RAC-700 pump

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/reviews/accessory/31672-ring-rac700-4x4-air-compressor

Nowadays my Ring inflator will blow a dashboard-socket’s fuse, but will still operate if directly connected to a 12V battery. However it also overheats if asked to pump above 60psi for any length of time, so it’s no longer any use for my motorhome.

Cheap 12V inflators are marketed that have many of the features of much more expensive pumps (example here)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vehicle-12V-150PSI-Air-Compressor-Heavy-Duty-Car-Tyre-Inflator-Pump-High-power-/122793128420?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10

but the only way to confirm how well they work in practice (and how long they will last) is to buy one and use it.

I have that double cylinder one under a different name, and has the gauge on top to give you a rough idea on pressure, German I think, anyway it comes with crocodile clips and instructions recommend you run the engine while connected I have used it once or twice on a 'van and tyre.

Richard

But what pressure did you start from?

If the tyre is already inflated to (say) 76psi, adding 4psi to raise the pressure to 80psi may well be within the capability of an inexpensive 12V compressor - though the process is likely to be slow.

If the tyre’s pressure is (say) 15psi as the result of a slow puncture, raising that pressure to a point where it’s reasonably safe to drive the motorhome (say 40psi) will take a long time even if the cheap compressor is actually able to do this and survives the task.

My T-MAX 12V compressor will raise the pressure of a 215/70 R15CP tyre from 65psi to 80psi in under 5 minutes and stays relatively cool doing this. Try that exercise with your compressor.

Well I've had no problem using this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/451719-12V-14A-Heavy-Duty-Volume-Air-Compressor-Car-Tyre-Inflator-140PSI-/292155757235?epid=1380504753&hash=item4405d712b3:g:6i8AAOSwHLNZRruT in the standard cigar lighter socket of my van and car.

I usually run the engine, not just to keep the battery charged but to increase the voltage and inflate the tyres faster.

Do consider ditching your powered air compressors and replacing them with a good quality bike 'track' pump.

I've been using a Specialized Airforce Team (an old model) for years now and it really does a good job taking about 2-3 effortless strokes per p.s.i. with a motorhome wheel.

The current equivalent model delivers 350cc of air per stroke and is rated to 150psi.

Pumping bike tyres to 150psi you do have to lean on it a bit but at the 60ish psi that motorhomes use it takes very little effort at all.

I have a compressor too but never use it as this is just so easy.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Air-Tool-Comp-Floor-Pump_110177.htm

Steve928 - 2017-11-13 4:11 PM

Do consider ditching your powered air compressors and replacing them with a good quality bike 'track' pump.

I concur!

Got a cheap one (I think £15) from Aldi and it has no trouble in achieving the higher pressures a motorhome needs. It's very well made (wooden handle and metal) although I've seen more recent ones in Lidl and Aldi which have been downgraded to plastic!

It's also very useful for effortless pumping of bike tyres!

Same here, I ended up getting a track pump (more for tweaking the rear air assistors initially) but it could easily add a few pounds to the tyres, without much sustained effort..

(I did have/still got one of the circular Michelin 12v pumps and although it was okay, it was bit of a faff about having to keep re-routing the lead, and switching between the front and rear 12v sockets, and threading it through alternate windows, just so as it could reach each wheel! :-S )

Archived