Underfloor LPG......shutoff

snowie

Hi; it's too late for our next trip, but as I've started to suffer with backache I'm looking for a solution to the problem I have shutting off the underfloor gas tank on our Ducato.

I' m wondering if anyone has come across a solution.

The Stako tank, capacity 25L is located on the centreline of the van as shown on the attached photo.

I can't reach the shut off valve without crawling under the van; this is getting more difficult.

Is there an electrically operated valve available?

I'm wondering if anyone has had a gas tank located in arms length of the van side, rather than centrally?

Last resort would be to have tank removed and change to a "conventional" refillable cylinder.

Any experiences?

Rgards

Alan b

Sorry, can't attach photo from iPad.

Can I add to thread later?

Cheers

pepe63 - 2017-08-30 6:40 PM

When ever this has been raised in the past, I've always thought that there will be remotely operated, flex/cable drive valve actuators ........

I suppose it's just a case of finding 'em...

Well pepe63; that's my thinking too, have I missed some past threads?

Don't recall any solutions,

Cheers

Alan b

snowie - 2017-08-30 6:34 PM

Is there an electrically operated valve available?

Cheers

We have identical underfloor gas tank. It has a manually operated isolation valve AND an electrically operated valve which can be manually turned off inside by a rocker switch. Also, the electrically operated valve switches off automatically when engine is started. I've never had to crawl under van to turn off manual valve and ferries and tunnel are happy with our arrangement. The tank was fitted to our van - a Devon Aztec on X250 Ducato - by manufacturer but I understand all their underfloor gas parts etc are supplied by http://www.autogasleisure.co.uk/

We used them on a previous van and found their expertise and service to be excellent

PS I'll try and attach photo but electrical valve is a "Truma Gasfernschalter" ..... sorry photo too big!

snowie - 2017-08-30 7:09 PM

pepe63 - 2017-08-30 6:40 PM

When ever this has been raised in the past, I've always thought that there will be remotely operated, flex/cable drive valve actuators ........

I suppose it's just a case of finding 'em...

Well pepe63; that's my thinking too, have I missed some past threads?

Don't recall any solutions,

Cheers

Alan b

Mornin' Alan...

When it's been mentioned before, I think it may've been on the threads about turning gas off for the tunnel etc? and although, as here, electric solenoid valves had been raised, I don't recall anyone posting that they'd sourced a way of "physically" closing the main valve?

But if isolating by way of an in-line solenoid valve is deemed okay for the likes of the tunnel, then you would've probably done as much as you could realistically do....without relocating the tank?

This earlier thread relates

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Autogas-lpg-tanks-and-Eurotunnel/34967/

Electrically-operated shut-off valves are intended to be fitted in the low-pressure part of the vehicle’s gas system downstream of the regulator. They do not shut off the gas at a gas-tank’s outlet and I’ve some doubts that they are designed to be installed externally on a vehicle where they will be exposed to spray and road debris.

It should be possible to rig up a means (manual or electric) to remotely close a difficult-to-reach outlet-valve on a motorhome’s underfloor gas-tank, but there’s no commercial product to do this simply because the demand is so small and installations vary. Pepe63 mentions a flex/cable approach that should be practicable, but I’ve never heard of this type of solution being implemented.

External gas-tanks on motorhomes are installed where space allows, and this often means laterally, tucked up under the chassis, making it iimpossible to reach the outlet-valve (never mind the valve being under a cover) without grovelling beneath the vehicle.

http://tinyurl.com/yaf769ck

‘Side mounting’ a tank will improve access to the outlet-valve, but (as mentioned here)

http://deepredmotorhome.com/gas.php

ground-clearance needs thinking about.

I recall an article in a French motorhome magazine describing how two 75-litre LPG tanks had beeen installed longitudinally (one each side) on a motorhome, but the vehicle was a biggie on a truck chassis.

Probably a daft question but what were these underslung gas tanks used for before some bright spark thought that it'd be a good idea to hang 'em under low slung MHs?

because with their inaccessible valves, which as well being almost impossible to reach, are also under a cover.. and along with their sometimes vulnerably-located regulators and hoses, they certainly could've have been designed for the purpose... surely?

They strike me as being in a similar vein as A frames....Initially a good, interesting idea but due to the relatively small numbers involved, one that's just been allowed to muddle along quite "crudely", and therefore it hasn't really been fully developed...?

I'm not sure they are "muddling along", and how inaccessible is truly inaccessible?

I can reach mine, but it's getting more difficult.

I agree that any remotely operated shut off valve should be between the tank and the pressure reducing valve, ( right where the current manual one is) and this is where the problem lies.

My local LPG car converter was dubious that I would find a product and didn't think that the one they fit to cars would be suitable.

Ignition shut off would be fine, for crossing the channel, but I switch ignition off and remove the key when We are cooking so no good!

I understand that the solenoid operated valves used on car tanks get quite warm in operation and use quite a lot of battery power, not good.

If a shut off valve could be located between the tank valve and the regulator it would help, but wouldn't really achieve much, and if the tank connection were damaged it would be useless.

I'll keep looking for a solution, but keep crawling in the meantime,

Cheers

Alan b

Derek Uzzell - 2017-08-31 3:47 PM

This January 2017 forum discussion relating to snowie’s requirement may be of interest

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Remote-gas-shutoff-anyone-/46078/

I would normally apologise for being so repetitive Derek, but looks like the solution is still some way off.

Thanks for the link to my earlier enquiry! Some good thoughtful replies.

If I find a satisfactory solution I'll post.

In the meantime, we have no plans to use the tunnel

Regards

Alan b

I thought I'd dig out e mail I had with Eurotunnel to check what they said

This was my query to them

"I have a 30 kg LPG tank fitted to my campervan for cooking purposes only, with fill rate limited to 80%. The shut off valve is automatic ie when ignition is switched off the gas valve automatically closes. This ensures I never forget to switch off gas when travelling/in tunnel/on ferry Can you confirm this is acceptable on Eurotunnel? Many thanks"

And this was their reply on 24 January 2014

"We can confirm that this does meet our travel requirements and we can transport you.

Any gas container must be declared when asked and will be checked at the appropriate checkpoint by Eurotunnel.

If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards

Sales Support Team

Eurotunnel Le Shuttle"

When we arrive at the terminal we simply have to demonstrate that the internal rocker switch is off.

Hi Arthur; I could quite easily email Eurotunnel before booking, advise them that I always turn off the gas under the vehicle, and can demonstrate that the manifold is open on all devices, but there is no gas reaching the manifold, therefore gas is off.

I'm quite happy that they check, and I imagine that they have inspection pits for just such situations.

And my shutoff valve is between the tank and the pressure regulator, no problem as far as compliance, just damned inconvenient!

Cheers

Alan b

snowie - 2017-08-31 3:13 PM

I'm not sure they are "muddling along", and how inaccessible is truly inaccessible?

I can reach mine, but it's getting more difficult.

Hi Alan

Perhaps "muddling" wasn't the correct word but they certainly haven't developed them to make them more user-friendly have they (..it wouldn't be so bad if they could at least supply them "handed", with the tap towards the one end?).

MH owners wouldn't tolerate MH manufacturers routinely locating water system drain taps in such hard to reach places...

..and I would've thought that being able to access a gas tank stop tap was more important..

Here's hoping that link to Clive's page leads to a realistic solution..

Having recently purchased an Autotrail PVC with the 25litre gas tank underneath in the middle there is no way it is possible to turn the actual gas supply off on the cylinder. I took this up with my dealer who has confirmed that the tank meets all current standards and need not be switched off on ferries etc.

There are isolation taps under the sink which can be used to turn off the gas to the various units bit that's about it.

Incidentally the gas tank readout only operates when the engine is running, which I don't quite understand, as it means to check the gas level you have to run the engine?

Any further thoughts or comments on this subject would be appreciated!

Hi Alan

I have a bulk tank under the van

When I had some rectification work done on my van at IH motor homes they moved my regulator to just under the van on the near side so now all I do is reach just under the sill and turn it off

Neat job with protecter plate surround very simple very easy to use

Regards Brian

Archived