Water Pump problem

keen canary

Hello all,

We own an 2018 Eldiss Autoquest 315 which is fitted with a Whale Habitation water pump (Watermaster Model 2.0 GPM

Product code FP08 14(B) which is also fitted with a surge protector.

On our first venture out after lockdown the pump has developed a problem. When switched on it runs then stops, then runs then stops . It does this continually until switched off. Sometimes it just runs constantly until switched off. Any ideas as to what might be going on.?

I have checked as far as possible for water leaks and found none. All taps and shower are closed. There is water in the tank.

Looking at the pump, access is good for removal and it seems that push in pipe connections have been used. The electrics look a little harder to deal with as they appear to be a four point clip/snap in connector type and I don't quite know how you would release those. I wonder if anyone has experienced a similar problem. Thanks for reading this

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Regards Keen Canary

There’s a picture of the Whale ‘diaphragm’ water-pump on this advert

https://whalepumps.com/marine/product.aspx?Product_ID=10047

and Whale’s Installation and Operation Manual can be viewed here

https://www.whalepumps.com/rv/siteFiles/resources/docs/resource-library/sr_766.50_v1_0513.pdf

The latter document’s trouble-shooting section advises on situations when the pump runs but will not switch off or cycles on and off periodically when all the taps are closed. Several possible reasons are offered but, although ‘pressure adjustment’ can be carried out to deal with this type of problem with some makes of diaphragm water-pump (eg. SHURflo pumps) this does not seem to be possible with the Whale units.

There are a couple of YouTube videos about dismantling and cleaning this pump (or the earlier version of it) but I don’t know if that would help in this case. (If none of the possible reasons given in the trouble-shooting section apply, dismantling/cleaning may be the only option.)

keen canary - 2021-04-20 8:50 AM

Hello all,

A couple of days ago I posted that I had a problem with the Whale water pump on our 2018 Eldiss 115 Autoquest . It would cut in then stop and then repeat this until switched off at the control panel. A tad annoying.

I asked for help and Derek kindly suggested a couple of You Tube video's on the subject of Whale water pumps and this exact problem. The video's suggested removing the pump, stripping it down and cleaning out any deposits, then to re assemble and this should cure the problem.

Before trying this I decided to ring Whale in Ireland and they were very helpful and suggested before trying anything else to flush the pump through with the usual tank cleaning fluid and using warm water , leaving it to stand for a couple of hours. Then to drain down the system flushing it out with several more litres of water. I explained that I had done this exactly before using the van for the first time since the winter and lock down and their reply was yes but sometimes you have to repeat this a couple of times especially if you live in a hard water area ( which we do ).

I Flushed everything through yesterday and presto problem has gone away.

To a novice like me that was a real result and I just thought this may help somebody with the same problem in the future.

Regards Keen Canary

Copied from a new post to complete this post.

Archived