Webasto Dual Top flaming out

Majikthyse

Our Murvi Pimento is 5 years old now and the diesel powered heating system occasionally stops with error 3 displayed. This means combustion failure according to the manual. We got an approved Webasto engineer to attend, who diagnosed low battery or possibly a new burner needed. One of the 2 leisure batteries is slightly down on voltage but the van is used daily all year round, and the heating for an hour or so twice a week at least on diesel. The question is, what is the diagnosis? We paid the engineer £220 just to turn up and switch the heater on, and are now looking at a further £584 for servicing it.

Of course, for the last 2 weeks the heater has performed perfectly, so it's very difficult to reproduce the problem. We leave it on frost protection over night in cold weather, and one thing we could do is to plug into mains electricity but use diesel fuel, which would take the battery out of the equation. The risk of course is dumping the water if the frost valve opens. Maybe that's a risk we have to run.

Does anyone know a good Webasto engineer within reach of south Wiltshire? Or have any other ideas? I know about Simon Buckell of Koolkare but he seems snowed under with work.

From my experiences with Eberspacher diesel fired heaters it certainly sounds as though low battery voltage could be your problem. I would investigate this further before turning to a Webasto service. The £584 you have been quoted would buy a couple of pairs of decent Yuasa or Varta batteries!

Are you able to monitor the battery voltage next time it fails?

How old are your leisure batteries? If the originals, now at five years old, then this may be your problem.

Can you try starting the engine or plugging in to shore power then retrying the heater next time it fails?

Keith.

Our Murvi Morello is coming up to nine years old and the Webasto by last autumn had done 34000 operating hours. So it has been used and often on diesel. The burner has been replaced twice as they become blocked with " carbon" with use and leads to difficulty starting and eventually total failure though still working on electric heating.

Over the years we have got to know Simon Buckell and Alfie his dog well usually meeting them at various trading estate sites where he is working for corporate customers. He is a bugger to get hold of but he knows his stuff so we feel it is worth persevering.

For what it is worth I would suspect the burner in your case particularly if it has never been changed.I agree put the vehicle on hookup to exclude the batteries from being the cause of the problem and if worried about the dump valve opening ( many are seized up with lime) then turn the water pump off so it will only dump the ten litres of water in the boiler.

To change the burner it is necessary to take the webasto out but it is comparatively easy with a Murvi and at the same time they can check the dump valve. All parts are expensive not helped by the exchange rate.

As we are often off hookup we change our leisure batteries which are Varta LFD90 every four years to make sure that we are not caught out in the middle of nowhere so if you are on your original you are doing well unless you are mainly on hookup.

Have no experience of other Webasto engineers though there is one near Bristol that Rex at Murvi has spoken of.

Hope this is of some help .

Majikthyse - 2019-01-23 12:18 PM

Does anyone know a good Webasto engineer within reach of south Wiltshire?

According to the Webasto website there are quite a few dealers near you but I have no idea how good any of them are!

https://dealerlocator.webasto.com/en-int/dealers

PS Try a local boatyard as boats are often fitted with Webasto heaters.

Keith.

Archived