Webasto heater

ChrisH

I have a Chausson 610 which is fitted with a Webasto diesel fired heater. The standard control for the heater is an analogue rotary switch which is an on / off switch and gives control of temperature only.

I want to fit a multi controller (digital) which I was told should be a case of unplug the old and plug in the new. What the sales person omitted to say was that there are two separate connections on the Webasto wiring loom and the other one is probably hidden.

Has anyone done this conversion and if so where did they find the other connection?

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

The quick way to check which make you have would be to look on the controller, does it say 'Webasto' or just 'E' on the controller? If 'E' then it is an Eberspacher.

If there are no markings on the controller then you will have to look at the main heater unit for markings.

And sorry but I can't help with location of the connector other than suggesting you follow the wires :-(

Keith.

Lots of info here just follow the links

https://www.webasto.com/gb/markets-products/motorhomes/heating-solutions/

1000s in use on the canals and very few issues using road diesel

Ours has completed 6000 hours and just had its first service , strip and decoke, couple of hours to remove service and refit

We run ours on kerosene as the older version of red diesel did not agree with the heaters as the quality of canal side fuel can vary

Ray

Chausson has fitted Eberspacher and Webasto heating systems pretty much according to whim. Page 2 of this 2015 Chausson User’s Manual should make this apparent

https://www.chausson-camping-cars.fr/wp-content/uploads/MANUEL-Chausson-2015-Anglais.pdf

It’s possible to download technical information from the Webasto website

https://www.webasto.com/gb/markets-products/motorhomes/heating-solutions/service-downloads/downloads/

though this may well not help finding an elusive connection in a Chausson motorhome.

This company advertises Webasto controllers and may be able to advise

https://www.butlertechnik.com/controllers-t329

Thanks for all the replies to date. I think I need to make it clear that my heater is certainly a Webasto not Eberspecher. The rotary control has the word Webasto on it and the part number on the back is a Webasto number. The new multi controller I bought is a Webasto product from Butlertechnik. All the docs I received when I collected the van refer to Air Top Evo 40 /55 so I am certain it is a Webasto heater.

I have spoken to Butlertechnik about my situation but they could not offer anything constructive and said they doubted if Chausoon would use the standard wiring harness or if they did they might cut off any spare connections!!! Chausson say they fit a standard harness but couldn't identify which one.

Chris

It really comes down to whether the ‘standard’ wiring harness used with the basic rotary-selector control-unit has the design-capability to cope with more complex Webasto control-units via extra wiring being plugged into the harness, or whether the more complex control-units need to be married to a significantly different harness.

I note that downloadable EVO 40 installation/operating instructions are accessible from the Butler Technik website

https://www.butlertechnik.com/technical_library/air-top-evo-40-d25

and these contain wiring diagrams (though I don’t think they’ll answer the critcal question I’ve mentioned above).

You might try seeking advice from Webasto themselves about the practicability of retrofitting the digital ‘multi-controller’ to an EVO 40 system that has the rotary-selector control-unit.

https://www.webasto.com/gb/about-webasto/corporate-information/webasto-in-united-kingdom/

I‘ve found them helpful in the past when I’ve asked for technical information.

I dont know if this is any help but...

I am in process of fitting a Webasto Airtop 2000STC. with standard rotary control. I've just been out to my van to check the harness which hasn't yet been installed. The harness has the main connector to the heater and a short distance beyond that it splits into two. One part of the loom supplies 4 wires to a 4pos connector for the standard rotary control. The other part contains the rest of the wires which carry the power supply and more and ends with a small fuse housing.  A short distance before the end another fairly short "spur" leads to another 4pos connector with 3 wires. This connector is labelled diagnosis, smart control, multicontrol.  From the circuit diagram I would say this is the connector you need to use after disconnecting the connector from the redundant rotary controller. I dont understand why this connector wasn't in a separate long "spur" as the rotary control connector is. The colours for the wires leading to the multicontrol connector are red, yellow and brown. Hope that helps!

• 2 months later...

I'm pleased to say that I have finally got to the bottom of this story and I now have the multi controller fitted and working.

It took a long while to find the connection in the wiring harness that I was looking for as it was nowhere near the connection for the rotary control. In fact it was at floor level on the other side of the van! Having found it and connected the new controller to it (albeit in completely the wrong place) but it was dead.

Finally after talking to M.A.Autocool in Norfolk I found the supply which should have been protected by a 1 amp fuse had been fitted with a 25 amp fuse and then the supply cable cut through!!

Once the cable was reconnected and the correct size fuse was in place the controller now worked. Lastly all I needed was an extension cable and the job was finished.

A lot of work but certainly worth it.

Chris

Archived