What should I go for??

AGE 1964

We will be investing in a used motorhome next spring and was wandering what we should go for.

We have a done a fair bit of research and decided on 4/6 berth rear lounge or twin beds with maybe a drop down above dinette.

The question is should we go for a 8-10 year old A- Class with maybe 25k miles or a newer coach built with low mileage?

The budget is around £45k.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Go and sit in a few and see if you like the space up front in a A class or prefer the van cab of a C class.As for a "drop down bed over the dinette" I don't thing anyone makes one apart from the Safari by Trek in the USA. Will you use the shower or kitchen? some do, some don't. All I can say is if it feels right then it probably is.

There's possibly hundreds who will read your question which means you may receive hundreds of answers with a hundred of variations. You describe your comment as an investment, presumably with the intention of a suitable return when its sold, often the very opposite is the result.

You first have to have some idea of what to 'might like' and what 'you think' you might do with it once you've bought it. Once you have decided its advisable to spend at least a year searching and looking, only then can you have any clues as to what may suit you.

They come in all sizes, where will you keep it, are you used to driving larger vehicles, how many are there of you, do you intend to carry animals? If you are certain that the Motorhome is for you then hire one first, without some firm personal ideas you're buying totally blind.

If buying from a dealer then remember the person is a 'dealer' and he or she will size you up in seconds, as a sales person their aim is to convince you the customer that your selected choice on their premises is just perfect, when you may be buying a lot of problems that may cost you double what you intended to spend.

So think carefully !

Will86 - 2018-11-12 10:34 AM

There's possibly hundreds who will read your question which means you may receive hundreds of answers with a hundred of variations. You describe your comment as an investment, presumably with the intention of a suitable return when its sold, often the very opposite is the result.

You first have to have some idea of what to 'might like' and what 'you think' you might do with it once you've bought it. Once you have decided its advisable to spend at least a year searching and looking, only then can you have any clues as to what may suit you.

They come in all sizes, where will you keep it, are you used to driving larger vehicles, how many are there of you, do you intend to carry animals? If you are certain that the Motorhome is for you then hire one first, without some firm personal ideas you're buying totally blind.

If buying from a dealer then remember the person is a 'dealer' and he or she will size you up in seconds, as a sales person their aim is to convince you the customer that your selected choice on their premises is just perfect, when you may be buying a lot of problems that may cost you double what you intended to spend.

So think carefully !

As this, try before you buy.

Thanks for your feed back. Yes investment was probably the wrong choice of words I fully appreciate that we will not be making any money here!!

The main reason for my question is more about quality A-Class (8-10 years) versus newer coach build?

There are just two of us and the dog but we would like extra space and an extra bed just in case one of the kids want to join us (although this is doubtful). We have space for a van up to around 8M.

We visited the NEC and have been looking at the various configurations so we are pretty clear on what we are looking for.

Thanks

I would go for a secondhand van. because i guess that (by your name) you are still working? Therefore will be more restricted than most of us, who are retired and go away for longer periods of time.

Try before you buy also. It is a large investment to sit around for long periods on your drive.Older vans have had the "niggles" ironed out, and taken the depreciation hit.Four berth plenty big enough. Smaller vans cheaper on ferries, and some large vans 8 meters can be a problem to find places on sites!

Decide how you will use van, and TRY the layout before you buy. I.E Can you live in van when the weather is bad? Is the kitchen ideal layout. I could go on and on. Take your time, hire a van first

I wish happy hunting, BUT don't rush into it

PJay

Yes the name is a bit of a giveaway!! :-D

Although not heading for retirement quite yet from spring to summer the van will be used probably every other weekend.

Think maybe rent one for a few days and see how we get on!!

Thanks Very Much.

AG

I would also add, think about how you are going to use it.

If you are the type who like to get out some or most days, do you intend to walk, rely on local transport, use cycles, or tow a small car? A large motorhome may be quite restrictive to use to go 'out and about', whereas a smaller MH may be easier to use on a regular basis to visit places. Just because you have an 8m space, don't think that you have to fill it.

At one stage we went too big and we personally found it restrictive. It wasn't always easy on some small Scottish island ferries that used fixed quays because of the large overhang, and sometimes abroad we found ourselves hiring cars. We have now come down to a 6m A Class and the space is brilliant. It gives you 4 sizeable berths but we can park it in any car parking space (its just the height you have to worry about !

That's just our experience, as others have said, we are all different, but you have already had the best advice - hire first and try it out.

Regards,

AGE 1964 - 2018-11-12 9:49

We have a done a fair bit of research and decided on 4/6 berth rear lounge or twin beds with maybe a drop down above dinette.

The question is should we go for a 8-10 year old A- Class with maybe 25k miles or a newer coach built with low mileage?

The budget is around £45k.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Welcome, you have said that you would like the extra space that comes with an 8M van, just bear in mind that a larger van will potentially restrict your access to some more out of the way spots and campsites, and may be less enjoyable to drive.

As for 25K miles being high mileage I wouldn’t worry, quite the reverse.

Try before you buy is good advice: we didn’t and I’m not sure how enjoyable it would have been as we didn’t like any layouts that were on offer.

Good luck

Snowie

Age 1964, hiring is a good way to go - not only to try out the layout you hire and see if it works for you - but also whether the lifestyle is for you. Twice now we have bought a one year old motorhome that someone bought new as their first ven, didn't like it and ended up selling it back to the dealer.

Whilst out in the hire vehicle think about the facilities and how you use them. Try to make a list of 'Must Haves' - things you really know you want on your van, perhaps automatic gearbox, fixed bed etc. The next is 'Should Haves' - items that you really would like to have but are not absolutely necessary or you can add them letter - perhaps a wind out awning or refillable gas cylinders. Finally, some 'Could Haves' which are things that you know you can live without but if they were already on the van would be useful. This list will help you narrow down your needs and expectations.

Finally, when you then start looking at Motorhomes in shows/dealers, armed with your list, try EVERYTHING - lay on the beds, stand in the shower and pretend you are washing, sit on the loo, go through the motions of cooking a meal in the kitchen to see if the space available suits what you like to do. Take your time and imagine where everything you may take will go - outside storage for chairs/table etc. Storage for clothing, food and bedding.

Believe me, once you buy you will soon find out how relevant these things are to,your enjoy,end of the motorhome.

Good luck with your search.

David

Thanks for the advice very useful I'm sure I will need more in the coming months!!

We have already made a shortlist. I think the reason we were looking for a larger van is that we do a lot of hiking during the day so we tend to crash out and watch movies in the evenings so it needs to be comfortable.

Thanks again.

AG

AG,

You do not need to go big to be comfortable!

Our AutoTrail is only 6.5 m but is very comfortable for the two of us to relax and also big enough for four, or more, if we have friends drop by for a meal or a coffee.

Think of it the other way, where are you going to park your MH when you go hiking? Unless you can hike direct from the campsite you will need park in a public(?) car park and an 8 m MH is unlikely to fit in many car parks. We have always managed to fit our 6.5 m MH wherever we have wanted to go but doubt we could have parked a larger MH in many of them.

Keith.

AGE 1964 - 2018-11-13 9:56 AM

Thanks Keith

Yes I'm starting to think that big is not always best!

I'm very pleased that I found this site :-D

AG

Have you checked your licence, as to whether you can drive over 3500?

Just something you may not be aware of. I think you will find more vans at 3500 ton, as a lot of us once we get to 70, are restricted to this size. . I don't think salesmen bother to tell you about this!

PJay

Hiring to see what suits is looking more and more the way to go.

We tend to spend ours days cycling, walking or visiting towns/sites, we used to have small VW vans which was fine when we were younger, as we've got older we want a bit more room and find a 6.36m PVC suits us well, as our trips are getting longer we have considered getting a bigger van, but at the moment we've decided we haven't outgrown this one yet.

colin - 2018-11-13 10:25 AM

Hiring to see what suits is looking more and more the way to go.

We tend to spend ours days cycling, walking or visiting towns/sites, we used to have small VW vans which was fine when we were younger, as we've got older we want a bit more room and find a 6.36m PVC suits us well, as our trips are getting longer we have considered getting a bigger van, but at the moment we've decided we haven't outgrown this one yet.

Your still growing then Colin???

Most people seem to shrink as they get older!

PJay

I would suggest buying a used A Class Hymer, ideally a 1994/5 model for around £20,000 or less, because that should be a fairly safe bet (but have it inspected mechanically of course) and it should be easy to resell when you have learned what you really want with only a modest loss.  Spending £45,000 on a first buy used MH will cost you much more when you sell or trade in.  Buy a used British-built coachbuilt model and prepare to learn about dampness!

Keithl - 2018-11-13 8:57 AM

AG,

You do not need to go big to be comfortable!

I echo that. We also walk and hike a lot and can tell you that 6m is very comfortable when we crash. The beauty of an A Class is that you get the large drop down bed over the cab, and the front tends to be a bit more spacious because it does not narrow into a cab.

Keith also brings up a good point on parking. Unless you are going to rely on cycles or towing a car (which requires a trailer to be legal abroad and is an additional consideration), then you might want to use the MH to get to the trail start point. This can pose restrictions for large MH's.

Someone pointed out a small Hymer A Class, but Dethleffs, Laika, Pilote also do sub-6m MH's. Burstner and Rapido used to have sub-6m A Class so these might be available secondhand, and Carthago do a 6.4m A Class, but I would start off cheaper if you are unsure.

I'm not sure if you can hire an A Class (someone else might know), but I would certainly advise you to get a drive of one first (friend/dealer), to see if you are comfortable with it.

Regards,

Hi, there is simply no one answer to your question.

As others have advised, try before you buy ie hire something.

Visit campsites a talk to those who have something that you might consider

Dont beleive a word of the salesman..they will only be after your money.

We have been through many variations from vw campervan t2, sprite alpine, towed by morris 1000,

and many other caravan/towcar options , as well as a variety of motorhomes.

currently we have an Autocruise Stargazer, 2009 version on a fiat 2300 base vehicle. This is 2 berth, so small compared to what you are looking at, but adequate for 2 persons and all our associated "junk"that we have accumulated over the years

At the age (just over 80) where we have to consider giving up, but cant seem to accept that option,, I would almost guarantee that whatever you think is "necessary" today, given the next 5 years, you will look back and think "why on earth did we buy this one, Spending all that money, and we dont use half of the things that we carry around "just in case".

whatever you ultimately choose, enjoy it while you can, wherever you go, have happy memories.

tonyg3nwl

Thanks for all your advice its very useful.

With regards to driving a larger vehicle I have a C1 license so no issue there.......

But I am now thinking sub 7m and maybe spend less cash go for an older A Class which to be honest was my initial preference. I will of coarse have it checked thoroughly by the AA or whoever carries out the checks on these types of vehicles.

Try it for a year or two and see how it goes! As was pointed out spend less and lose less when/if I need to upgrade.

Like I said I have a short list which has now become shorter since I took the extra meter off! :-D

Will be looking around in the new year.. AG

I would always recommend you "future proof" your investment by purchasing a van with 16" wheels. These normally come with bigger brakes (compared to the 15" variant).

Reason, easier to increase the payload should this be found to be desirable in the future.

Some older Hymers could be ordered with the maxi chassis (3900kg) as opposed to the usually available 3500kg chassis.

I learned the hard way. Purchased a 2002 Hymer 544, A class, 6m long on a 3500kg chassis with 15"wheels. Lovely van which we kept for 10 years. But our situation changed and we needed a van with more payload. Now have a van, 7m long, with a 4250kg chassis which now meets our needs. Now able to transport a scooter in the garage + lots of French wine :-D

Archived