What size Inverter

Mikeandthewife

Hi everyone

We want to purchase an inverter for our motorhome, its main function will be to charge my wife's mobility scooter battery and most of the time this will be actually charging while on route from one destination to another.

I've been informed pure sine wave is probably the best way forward, so ok with that, my main questions for you technical people out there are:

(1) What spec inverter will we require to charge a mobility scooter battery

(2) Are there any particular good makes/model's I should look at

Thanks in advance

Mike

I installed my inverter to run off the engine battery as the wiring from the hab side when charging whilst driving may put a heavy demand on the cables that charge the leisure batteries. Obviously care has to be taken if using the inverter when parked up you dont flatten the engine battery

Well it looks like you have answered yourself, 68w, this is the same sort of power as bike batteries so you should prepare for several hours to charge the batteries. For our bike batteries we do 'little and often'.

You now need to consider if you have the spare capacity both to generate the power and possibly store it until needing to charge the mobility scooter.

As an example we decided we had enough capacity to generate power either through solar or driving, but if we needed to charge bikes at night we needed extra storage, to that end I replaced the single leisure battery with twin ones that gave a extra 60ah(say 30ah usable) of storage.

p.s. we have a 300w invertor.

Hi Colin

Thanks for getting back, I've not answered it myself, I'd no idea what the details of the label means to tell you the truth. However, like you we also have a twin set of leisure batteries, our van was set up with this when we purchased it, with this in mind, would you recommend a 300w inverter being ok for our needs and can you recommend a good/reliable make

Mike

Any inverter over 68W will do ;-) But probably better to go for something slightly bigger so it doesn't run at full power and burn out. Small inverters are usually around 200-300W and should be more than enough for this particular use and other small consumers (phones, laptops etc) Just don't try to run a hairdryer, hoover, induction, tea kettle or anything else more power hungry from it.

300w would do, right now I have a dilemma, initially, I only wanted it for charging the scooter. However, now you mention kettle I'm now wondering if I should pay the extra so I could power a kettle as well, we have a camping kettle, just read he label on it and it's a 780-900W, presumably I need a bigger inverter for this

The sugestion made by Brian B, "thebishbus", is a good solution. £40 spent, and job sorted.

Laptops can also be recharged by 12V "in car" chargers, which may be model specific, or adaptable. I have used an adaptable one for many years.

12V plug in USB charging adapters are commonly available for mobile phones etc.

For AAA/AA powered torches and cameras I have a small 12V powered "Fameart PC07", however this may be obselete. An possible larger alternative could be the "Intellicharge 4" with integral mains PSU.

We carry a camping kettle for use when on EHU, but the gas kettle is used much more frequently.

Alan

It is safest to get a sine-wave inverter and not go for a cheaper, quasi sine-wave model. The quasi sine-wave inverters can (I have had it happen with Bosch toothbrush chargers) destroy the more sensitive equipment being charged,

From what you have written above a 300 watt model would be quite adequate and would allow for other light use equipment, such as iPhones etc to be charged at the same time.,

I’ve just taken this off the link http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/inverters.php given by Keithl.

“The Residual Current Device (RCD), is a life-saving device designed to prevent a person from

getting a fatal electric shock if they touch something live.

A Motorhome 'fixed' Inverter installation should have the same protection, but rarely has.”

How is this safety feature achieved for a motorhome installation?

Cattwg :-D

This is the one that I have:

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637193415/300w-power-inverter-12v-dc---230v50hz

Actually I have had my unit three years and the model may have been updated in that time, but it is a Sealey 300 watt model. Because I do not need more than 150 watts, I can run it off a 12 volt plug / socket and thus avoid any new additional wiring / fuses.

Cattwg - 2021-02-27 6:26 PM

I’ve just taken this off the link http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/inverters.php given by Keithl.

“The Residual Current Device (RCD), is a life-saving device designed to prevent a person from

getting a fatal electric shock if they touch something live.

A Motorhome 'fixed' Inverter installation should have the same protection, but rarely has.”

How is this safety feature achieved for a motorhome installation?

Cattwg :-D

To build on the above, and since by his own admission the OP has so scant electrical knowledge that he does not understand an electrical rating label, I suggest that he reads the following thread before proceeding. "To Trip or not to TRIP" originated by 747Heavy on 27th January 2021.

Alan

Archived