Which standalone Satnav do you recommend?

ColinM50

In our swift Lifestyle we have a built in Satnav but the new Peugeot Elddis we've ordered doesn't come with one and the dealer's quoting over £1k for a built in one.

I posted separately for feedback on the Aguri but it's not coming out too highly rated. So do any of you have any suggestions?

We have built in in both our cars and a very old Garmin Nuvi which I update regularly and though it works fine, it's very small with just a 4 inch wide screen and as the years go by and the eyes get worse, it's just too fiddly to use

So over to you experts

We use a Tom Tom , not built in, so makes for easier planning, as we can input into TT whilst planning where to go, and check the route against a map, in comfort

don't see the point of paying that sort of money, just plug into the 12v !

PJay

We have a TomTom Camper sat nav but unfortunately they don't make them any more, this has never let us down both in UK and Europe. We have had it 5 years and it was just before they decided to put Lifetime Free Mapping on them so we have had to pay for map updates for the last 2 years. Not seen anything that compares to the one we have so what will happen when our 18months subscription is up we don't know. Did look at the Aguri when they came out and was impressed but at the time they were so new that we just updated our current one.

PJay - 2017-03-06 10:36 AM

We use a Tom Tom , not built in, so makes for easier planning, as we can input into TT whilst planning where to go, and check the route against a map, in comfort

don't see the point of paying that sort of money, just plug into the 12v !

PJay

We have Tom Tom too. Never a problem with it.

Opinions vary wildly on satnavs and you have to decide what is most important to you. For example, do you want POI's or traffic alerts/re-routing, or both, or neither? Google search on TomToms (maybe on others?) can be very useful at times.I have a TomTom Camper with Live Traffic and it's great, not perfect, but light years ahead of my previous Garmin with it's weird route selection and chronic traffic forecasting. You still have to use commonsense!So, if I have to replace it, I would go for a TomTom truck, because size matters! Campsites etc., don't interest me, they can be selected and entered in advance. With aires/stellplatz, I would rather check a map/Bordatlas first to avoid being directed way off my route.Traffic is the key for me, I hate sitting in jams. Garmin, Snooper and others use a mix of AA, radio etc. info to supply often out of date warnings and routings. TomTom uses others TomToms first and then supplements it with other data when appropriate. I've found it to be extremely accurate.

Have a TT 5100, much as I like most of the features and the way it navigates it has one big failing.

POI's can be added, but not the icons, and they will not display on the moving map. This means if you are in an area and looking for a campsite it is not easy. On my old TT I could look at map and see campsites in area and know if they where CL, CS, clubsite, or commecial etc. On the new TT I have to look up each catorgory in turn a complete PITA, so I now carry two sat navs *-)

Here's the latest from TT

Note: it is not possible to add car symbols, colour schemes, images or warning sounds to the following devices: GO 40, GO 50, GO 51, GO 60, GO 61, GO 400, GO 500, GO 600, GO 510, GO 610, Rider 410, Rider 400, Rider 40, GO 5000, GO 6000, GO 5100, GO 6100, Trucker 5000, Trucker 6000, START 40, START 50, START 60, Start 42, Start 52, Start 62, VIA 52, VIA 62, GO 520 Wi-Fi, GO 620 Wi-Fi, GO 5200 Wi-Fi, GO 6200 Wi-Fi.

I have looked at almost all the makes on offer and always go back to TomTom. The TomTom is easy to update via the internet, the mapping is second to none and the unit very quickly updates in situations where you have made a wrong turn or have just come out of a tunnel.

Currently I have the "TomTom Trucker" unit which I bought two years ago. This is a superb GPS. You can set it for car, van, HGV etc and can choose the width, height, length, weight, etc for each of your vehicles. I have lent the unit out to three of my motorhoming friends recently and they have all bought their own after returning it.

Hi, my fist comment is Dont go for one preinstalled in the vehicle..you wil pay through the nose for the likes of map updates..we have it in our Nissan Car, and the map updates cost almost the price of a complete standalone unit, every year.

I have recently posted some comments about my latest acquisition, the Garmin Camper, 6in version.

It is possible to add you own poi but you need to be a bit computer savvy to do so..familiar with file formats and conversion , preparation of the poi information..

Previously we have been using an early Snooper ventura lite, but map updates cost, and adding your own poi has to be done by them.

My tablet is loaded with the free program called COPILOT, and it can have added poi files, again if you are computer savvy. I also have the various club apps on the tablet to enable searches for sites, cls, etc

France aires came already loaded on the Garmin, and ACSI site as well

Fundamentally, the best satnav is the one that you own, whatever make it is. You just need to thoroughly understand it and above all remember that any device is only as clever as the idiot who programmed it.

They all have their features that some people like but others despise

My personal recommendation to date has been garmin, , but others probably have thair own recommendations

Tonyg3nwl

Have a tom tom 500 with maps for life. As good as any but does come up with some silly routes and directions sometimes so it always pays to take a map and it uses my phone via Bluetooth for traffic info updates. Not ideal but it works. It's what you get use to I suppose.

tonyg3nwl - 2017-03-06 6:56 PM

My tablet is loaded with the free program called COPILOT, and it can have added poi files, again if you are computer savvy. I also have the various club apps on the tablet to enable searches for sites, cls, etc

Tonyg3nwl

Yes, CoPilot app is free but you get more functionality with the paid for version, about £25 or £45 for the Caravan version.

I've been using the standard version on a tablet for 3+ years. It does everything I want it to do.

I've been using Co-Pilot Caravan, cost about £30 for lifetime updates, for a year and think it works well. You are able to enter the vehicle dimensions and it avoids problem areas which the normal Tom Tom or Garmin doesn't. I've done several routes using the Co-pilot and Garmin together and had I not had the Co-pilot and following the Garmin I would have been in real trouble getting my van down some very narrow roads and under bridges.

Hi, we use a Garmin LMT 560, have free "lifetime " map and traffic updates. Maps are updated 3or4 a year and regardless of what some people say are quite upto date. It's a truck version really and you can input vehicle info which will notify you if you deviate from the route and narrow roads or low bridges are coming up. We use it in the U K and all over most of Europe and swear by it. Obviously we look over the day's route from Garmin before traveling to make sure no unexpected little detours to save a little extra distance have been added.

George

We use a Garmin which we bought from Aldi a couple of years ago.

Originally we had a problem with it loosing satellites. This was greatly improved when I moved it closer to the windscreen where it had a clearer view of the sky.

Excellent device, especially when I turned off the overspeed warning sound!!

CPeachey - 2017-03-08 5:23 PM

We use a Garmin which we bought from Aldi a couple of years ago.

Originally we had a problem with it loosing satellites. This was greatly improved when I moved it closer to the windscreen where it had a clearer view of the sky.

Excellent device, especially when I turned off the overspeed warning sound!!

Which model have you got ?

George

Ours is a Garmin 760LM camper specific from Aldi.

Screen measures 6" x 3.5". It's mounted on the passenger side near the windscreen and I can read it OK whilst driving. I have a rear view camera much closer so was limited as to where it could go that I could still see it.

• 2 weeks later...

happily used a garmin for many years but when i came to upgrade i decided to get sygic on my phone,

for £25 i get the world, including cam alerts and traffic. easier than garmin to update and you only need to update the maps you need for a particular trip (it deletes everything already on so uses little memory).

perfik

Archived