XHP insulating material

NINOT

Unfortunately, I don't know where it can be purchased.

But I'd hazard a guess that it is a made-up brand name used exclusively by Rapido/Dreamer.

Globecar, for example, use something similar - only it is black, rather than silver - and referred to as: 'PE-Foam 10-20'

See the first few minutes of the video:

Sorry chaps, but I think what I'm seeing, in both cases, is advertising hooey hiding behind technojargon, or vice versa, as you please!

The multi layer reflective insulants were being offered for construction insulation some years back as, more or less, miracle, products. On laboratory investigation, it was demonstrated that the performance claims being made were wildly optimistic, and the products are not now used professionally.

The acoustic and thermal insulant is a contradiction in terms. For acoustic isolation (i.e insulation from external noise), mass is required. For thermal insulation what is required is trapped by a low thermal transmission material, with air held in small bubbles so that no convection takes place. This is why most high performing insulants are based of some form of foamed plastic, and are very light. There is a small advantage to a reflective surface to the foam, but most insulants so treated are rigid, and would not be suitable for lining the curves of a van.

There is a small reduction in noise transmission with almost any well placed insulation, but that has more to do with the sealing of air spaces than attenuation provided by the material itself. If the material has good sound reduction properties it is unlikely to have good thermal insulation properties.

What I think you are looking for is a flexible, closed cell, foamed insulant. See if you can find a source of foamed polyethylene sheets. It's a bit like Aero chocolate, but made from flexible plastic. An alternative Might be to use several thin layers of expanded polystyree which should have sufficient flexibility individually to accommodate the curves of the van sides.

Brian Kirby - 2016-10-08 10:31 PM

Sorry chaps, but I think what I'm seeing, in both cases, is advertising hooey hiding behind technojargon, or vice versa, as you please!

The multi layer reflective insulants were being offered for construction insulation some years back as, more or less, miracle, products. On laboratory investigation, it was demonstrated that the performance claims being made were wildly optimistic, and the products are not now used professionally.

The acoustic and thermal insulant is a contradiction in terms. For acoustic isolation (i.e insulation from external noise), mass is required. For thermal insulation what is required is trapped by a low thermal transmission material, with air held in small bubbles so that no convection takes place. This is why most high performing insulants are based of some form of foamed plastic, and are very light. There is a small advantage to a reflective surface to the foam, but most insulants so treated are rigid, and would not be suitable for lining the curves of a van.

There is a small reduction in noise transmission with almost any well placed insulation, but that has more to do with the sealing of air spaces than attenuation provided by the material itself. If the material has good sound reduction properties it is unlikely to have good thermal insulation properties.

What I think you are looking for is a flexible, closed cell, foamed insulant. See if you can find a source of foamed polyethylene sheets. It's a bit like Aero chocolate, but made from flexible plastic. An alternative Might be to use several thin layers of expanded polystyree which should have sufficient flexibility individually to accommodate the curves of the van sides.

You obviously know what you are talking about and I wouldn't argue with any of that.

Thermoliner isn't the most effective insulation you can get, I suppose that would be injected foam like the professionals use for refrigerated vans. But what an awful job that would be for the DIYer. And once the lining sheets were stuck in with injected foam you could never get them out if you needed access to cables or pipes beneath without destroying them and making a lot of mess.

Wheras Thermoliner couldn't be easier or cleaner., and it makes a vapour barrier when you stick it directly to the metal. I don't know how you could do this with other sheets. Without a vapour barrier all that condensation would form behind the insulation and become trapped.

With Thermoliner you can then put your lining sheets over it, and remove them again if you need to gain access for pipes/cables etc.

When I first got my van I put a bit of furniture in and took it out. Under certain conditions condensation formed on the roof and dropped like rain. I got a roll of Thermoliner and covered nearly all the roof. I still got heavy condensation on the exposed metal, but never a trace of condensation on the Thermoliner so it must be providing insulation. And its stuck fast through the summer when the temperature has been over 30 degrees.

Whatever you do its a compromise. For me the ease of installation, the reliability of the vapour barrier, and the ability to remove the lining sheets to gain access, is worth a slight loss in insulation performance.

mikebeaches - 2016-10-08 3:47 PM

...But I'd hazard a guess that it is a made-up brand name used exclusively by Rapido/Dreamer...

I think that’s very likely as the only references to use of "XHP" insulation material involve motorhomes produced by the Rapido Group.

This link relates to Campérêve vehicles

http://www.campereve.fr/fourgon_campereve_specificites.php

What I think you are looking for is a flexible, closed cell, foamed insulant.

Thats what Thermoliner is, with alumimium foil on one side. If you like the look of it you could just have that on the ceiling, its tough enough, and reflective to make the most of the light. My understanding is that the reflective surface helps the insulation properties when facing an open space, but I imagine most people put boards over and I don't know how well this works in a cavity. The aluminium covering makes it easy to stick aluminium tape to, forming an excellent vapour barrier - essential to avoid trapped condensation causing rot. Since the foil has creases built in it flexes with the foam and might even help to hold it in shape. The foam is only 7mm thick, a compromise between insulation and flexibility. But you could always add another layer. 7mm is the depth of the corrugations in the X2/50 ceiling, so I put strips of it in the corrugation channels, making a flat surface to stick another layer over the top. Then just use cans of foam to fill in the awkward little nooks and crannies.

Hi

Its a silly name for a generic material. My Campereve uses it - except that they never bothered to do either the sliding door or the rear doors!! Thankfully those are the bits that are easy to DIY. I bought a roll of 5mm silver-backed self adhesive foam from megavan mats off ebay but they dont appear to sell it anymore.

This might work though:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22mm-metal-foil-Sound-Proofing-insulation-camper-van-car-motor-home-truck-boat-/252192838138?hash=item3ab7dd51fa:g:p2MAAOSwwE5WXIFa

This is similar to what I used:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dodo-Van-Insulation-Liner-3m-Thermal-Acoustic-Sound-Proofing-Car-Land-Rover-T5-/151674689783?hash=item23508418f7:g:1eYAAOSwPgxVTMx~

or this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6sqm-Camper-Van-Motorhome-Insulation-PE-foam-double-alu-not-alu-bubble-wrap-/262610782009?hash=item3d24d28739:g:gUIAAOSwe-FU9Mn~

Nigel

The dodo mat looks similar to Thermoliner, but its more expensive 8-)

I don't know how you could secure the other mats to the curved parts of a van closely enough to form a vapour barrier. The adhesive needs to withstand high temperature when the sun is on the roof,

• 3 weeks later...
John52 - 2016-10-10 9:19 AM

What I think you are looking for is a flexible, closed cell, foamed insulant.

Thats what Thermoliner is, with alumimium foil on one side. If you like the look of it you could just have that on the ceiling, its tough enough, and reflective to make the most of the light. My understanding is that the reflective surface helps the insulation properties when facing an open space, but I imagine most people put boards over and I don't know how well this works in a cavity. The aluminium covering makes it easy to stick aluminium tape to, forming an excellent vapour barrier - essential to avoid trapped condensation causing rot. Since the foil has creases built in it flexes with the foam and might even help to hold it in shape. The foam is only 7mm thick, a compromise between insulation and flexibility. But you could always add another layer. 7mm is the depth of the corrugations in the X2/50 ceiling, so I put strips of it in the corrugation channels, making a flat surface to stick another layer over the top. Then just use cans of foam to fill in the awkward little nooks and crannies.

This stuff gets my vote, I've used it on a coach built to insulate a cold garage and a camper van to insulate around rear wheel arches and a boot (yes one if those rare campers with no rear doors but a boot). It's easy to work with and sticks like crazy. The aluminium foil which is on the surface of the foam is ridged so can easily take a 90 degree bend (right angle) without splitting. I'd certainly use it again.

Archived