cheyenne 696 habitation door problem

sreve

I have an autotrail cheyenne 696g and have found that if i don't shut the habitation door hard it sometimes locks itself (maybe 30% of the time) and has to be opened from outside with the key.Has anyone out there had this problem before and how was it rectified.Also is the inside door panel easy to take off in order to get to the lock and door catch.Any help or advise would be great.

Hi Simon

One of the ways to tell if the interior panel can be removed easily is to look for "push-pin rivets" around to door edges.

They look like white plastic caps often used on self assembly furniture, closer inspection will show there is the head of the "push-pin". ( the push-pin expands the internal side of the "rivet", similar to the action of s Rawlbolt)

The "push-pin" is pushed right through into the door interior & the "rivet" can then be withdrawn.

With a bit of luck, the push-pins will have gone into the door insulation & retrieved, but some may fall & be lost when the panel is removed.

When all the rivets have been removed, the panel may still be held by Velcro strips, so care is needed as a released area of panel can grab back on the Velco, when trying to realease another area.

The "rivets" are reusable, but you would need to find some thin plastic rod to replace any of the "push-pins" lost.

We had a Cheyenne 696 some years ago and I can't remember all the details but I recall having a habitation door locking problem. Occasionally the door wouldn't work with CL remote.

It may be unrelated but after a few occurrences I noticed that when I went to open it with the key the keyhole on the barrel hadn't returned to the "vertical" home position.

If I straightened it out,with the key, it worked, as normal , ok, including on the central locking and remote.

I didn't open it up but applied a bit of WD40 and waggled it about a few times and it was back to working fine.

Just check this before major deconstruction !!

It could be helpful to know when Simon’s Cheyenne 696G was built as it seems that a Ducato X250 or an X244 chassis was used. However, on-line images suggest that the same habitation entrance-door was fitted in both instances.

I’ve attached a photo showing the door's inside panel and Simon should be able to confirm if this door-design is fitted to his motorhome.

used-autotrail-cheyenne-696g-motorhome-u2437_011.jpg.749fc9175e0b54ed73e14c82f7a23931.jpg

Dunno - I can see it; nobody else has said (yet) that they cannot see it; so it’s perhaps just you that has the problem.

(What are you expecting to see? I’ve just attached a photo of the side of a Chyenne 696 that shows the inner panel of the habitation door.)

Derek Uzzell - 2018-06-06 2:08 PM

Dunno - I can see it; nobody else has said (yet) that they cannot see it; so it’s perhaps just you that has the problem.

(What are you expecting to see? I’ve just attached a photo of the side of a Chyenne 696 that shows the inner panel of the habitation door.)

Just to confirm Derek's assumption, Yes I can see his photo!

Derek, How about a link to the photo if SG still cannot see it?

Keith.

Edit to add: Sreve's Cheyenne is a 2006, from his previous postings, so I believe this will be the door he has fitted. Our 2004 has the older solid door without a window and I believe the changeover was in 2005.

Archived