elddis 160 control panel battery switch problem

brooki

Switches do fail occasionally. Presumably your switch is single pole changeover with centre off.

Search for "Rocker Switch SPDT centre off" on Ebay. You can narrow the field by including "-illuminated" or similar in the search terms.

Alan

I’m guessing that your Elddis Autoquest 160 may be quite elderly - perhaps 2006 or earlier?

I have attached an image that includes a control-panel that I think your motorhome may have.

If your Elddis has a different panel, if you can provide a photo of the panel (the size of the file will need to be less than 100kb) it may be possible to identify its manufacturer (presumably you don’t have that information?) and where you might be able to source a replacement.

2070095913_Autoquest160panel.png.d0c461ecdb784ffd55d94920ecf21f08.png

The switches in Derek's photo look a bit like the ones manufactured by Arcoelectric. You might be able to change just the faulty switch yourself (rather than the whole panel).

The switch should have a part number on the body. I would google the part number and look at changing it myself.

The "van/aux" switch in the photo looks like one with a center off position. These are also available from Arcoeletric such as this (might not be the exact one you need)-.

[url=] https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rocker-switches/2283869/ [/url]

arcoelectric_switch.PNG.3c3f935ed804a0d19125271495c89cfb.PNG

From an inspection of the photo researched and provided by Derek, the switches may be 6A rocker switches

The battery selector switch will be, as I have suggested, a DPDT centre OFF (ON-OFF-ON).

The following link relates to such a switch measuring 21mm x 15mm at the front of the panel.

The switch is priced at £1.49 including delivery.

The only slight disadvantage is that the switch rocker is marked " I O II". This does not seem to be incompatible with the original function, particularly if the switch is mounted with single bar at the bottom, to denote the vehicle battery.

In view of the 6A rating of these switches, it seems possible that the switch is used to operate battery selecting relays.

Alan

Alanb - 2020-02-22 6:47 PM

In view of the 6A rating of these switches, it seems possible that the switch is used to operate battery selecting relays.

Alan

So it may not be the switch which has failed but could be the relay ???

Q. Which is more likely to fail a switch or a relay?

Try testing the operation of the switch with a multi meter then go searching for the relays.

Keith.

My suspicion is that the switch will drive a relay.

The wiring diagram for a 2006 model (which has the same 3-rocker switch arrangement as Derek's picture, albeit not necessarily in black) is as follows (click on the picture for a better view):.

https://i.ibb.co/cCRcbj2/autoquest.jpg

It is not at all easy to follow, however, combining both 230v and 12v circuits (and I haven't found the vehicle battery yet :-) ).

Indeed, and one might assume that the "green" connection is to the vehicle battery positive, but it would be a leap of faith. The diagram is rather too busy for me to bother, non-conventionally drawn, and neither have I spotted a D+ signal.

I am, however, assuming the three devices bottom left are relays, and they have a connection to the control panel. Unless the switch is failing to latch in the Aux position, I'd at least want to check those out.

Thr on-line Elddis handbooks suggest that the same simple control-panel was fitted to Autoquest motorhomes from as early as 2003 to as late as 2011.

The first thing necessary is for David to confirm that the control-panel being discussed here (more images/details attached below) is the one fitted to his Elddis 160.

If it is, then the next thing to check is that the AUX/VEH switch is genuinely faulty. There’s no point replacing the switch or the complete control-panel if (as has been suggested above) the reason that the switch’s AUX setting does not function is due to a fault unrelated to the switch (failed relay, fuse, etc.)

I don’t know who made the panel (though there might be a manufacturer's marking on the panel’s rear if it were removed) so whether a new control-panel is still available nowadays is anybody’s guess. Elddis may be able to advise.

http://www.elddis.co.uk/contact-us

(In fact, it would be worth removing the control-panel (just held in place by a couple of screws) and checking the cabling/connections at its rear. The cause of the problem may just be a poor connection addressed by unplugging the connectors, cleaning the contacts and reconnecting the cabling.)

panel1.jpg.a8a3c2c75b16fdd3fb12ca2cd6b9d7aa.jpg

panel2.png.1195192ce5fa5c7936054db5dc30f826.png

Robinhood - 2020-02-22 8:31 PM

...and neither have I spotted a D+ signal.

The Red connection at the six-way seems to be a heavy D+ controlled feed as it uses 4 mm^2 wire and controls at least one of the three relays you mention.

Robinhood - 2020-02-22 8:31 PM

I am, however, assuming the three devices bottom left are relays, and they have a connection to the control panel..

Yes, they look to be DPDT relays, the two coil terminals will be the sideways facing terminals at one end. And one wire from the CP connects to the upper relay which is used in a change-over mode. ie SPDT. so likely the battery select relay.

Keith.

brooki,

I took your report, that you thought that the switch was broken, to mean that it was physically broken.

Perhaps this is not the case?

Have you checked your 15A auxiliary battery fuse? (Uppermost fuse in diagram, next to fridge fuse.)

Robin,

I agree that the Autoquest wiring diagram is difficult to decipher. However your posting awoke my memory, and I have located an old printout, complete with some notes of mine.

The function of the three relays is from top to bottom, 1. vehicle battery select, 2. split charge and emc shutdown, 3. pump.

Relay 1 is controlled from the control panel, and presumaly operated when the vehicle battery is selected.

It is not apparent as to how the control panel VEH + 12V connection is made.

Relay 2 is operated from the fridge power supply. This suggests that there is a D+ operated fridge relay under the bonnet.

Relay 3 is the pump relay.

If this last relay is identical to the others, there may be an error in the diagram. There is a possible conflict on the diagram between the contact conections to relays 2 & 3.

Alan

Alanb - 2020-02-23 11:04 AM

I agree that the Autoquest wiring diagram is difficult to decipher........

Alan

...some of the labelling indicates to me that it was drawn up by someone more used to dealing with their caravan range. Nonethless, and as you note, there appears to be a few omissions, and the format is not particularly helpful.

The OP states that he thinks the switch has broken, but doesn't say why (maybe there is some mechanical sign?). If it simply isn't functioning, but there is nothing obvious to specifically identify the switch as the problem, then I think it is more likely to be something "behind the scenes".

In that case, your call on the 15A fuse is a good one, and then I'd check the relay(s).

Robinhood - 2020-02-23 11:35 AM

...some of the labelling indicates to me that it was drawn up by someone more used to dealing with their caravan range. Nonethless, and as you note, there appears to be a few omissions, and the format is not particularly helpful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was also my thought, when I tried to decipher the diagram for a previous thread.

Alan

The quality of the wiring diagram schematic in the Elddis Autoquest handbooks varies according to the handbook’s model-year.

The handbooks suggest that the ‘battery switch’ is 2-position - AUX or VEH - though the fact that no Off-position is mentioned does not mean there isn’t one.

With the switch in the AUX position, the control-panel’s gauge should continuously provide a voltage readout for the motorhome’s leisure-battery.

With the switch in the VEH position, the control-panel’s gauge should continuously provide a voltage readout for the motorhome’s starter-battery.

So, if David selects the switch’s VEH position and the gauge provides a voltage readout, it’s reasonable for him to assume that the switch’s VEH position is functioning OK. And, if David selects the switch’s AUX position and the gauge fails to provides a voltage readout, it will be obvious that something is amiss and perhaps understandable that David might believe that the switch itself is ‘broken’.

In fact, as switches tend not to go wrong, particularly if they are not used much, it’s quite likely that - as has been suggested above - the switch is not to blame and the fault is elsewhere.

(I note that David logged on to this forum at 12:51 today, so some feedback from him would be appreciated...)

Archived