electric bike tyres,

tonyg3nwl

We have electric bikes and the inner tubes are standard Schrader type

our bike pump has the relevant connector for schrader valves, and pumps up no problem.

the difficulty comes when disconnecting the pump connector.It is so fiddly that it takes both hands to undo, and as soon as you start to turn it, the air starts to escape back it requires about 3 turns to completely disconnect, and there is a lot of air loss.almost back to empty again.

what on earth am I doing wrong. I am told that there is some sort of extra adaptor required, but local bike shop said no, what I have is correct.

Any suggestions?

Tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2018-11-25 3:55 PM

We have electric bikes and the inner tubes are standard Schrader type

our bike pump has the relevant connector for schrader valves, and pumps up no problem.

the difficulty comes when disconnecting the pump connector.It is so fiddly that it takes both hands to undo, and as soon as you start to turn it, the air starts to escape back it requires about 3 turns to completely disconnect, and there is a lot of air loss.almost back to empty again.

what on earth am I doing wrong. I am told that there is some sort of extra adaptor required, but local bike shop said no, what I have is correct.

Any suggestions?

Tonyg3nwl

Tony - These should do the trick - Thanks for reminding me, I need to get one for my mother's wheelchair which has the same problem & I'd forgotten!

https://tinyurl.com/y9kodkqb

I also have a foot pump with the screw on end rather than the lever end. I have no problem with alloy wheels as there is plenty room to get at the end to unscrew it quickly but on steel wheels with wheel trims there is hardly any room to get my fingers onto the end to turn quickly enough so, as suggested above, I overinflate then adjust down.

It sounds as if you’re using a car tyre pump with a screw on connector to pump up your tyres rather than a bike track pump?

The large volume of air in a car tyre means that the bit of air loss as the connector is unscrewed is, percentage wise, of little impact. On a bike tyre however I suspect the pressure would see quite a drop. I’d suggest that, if I’ve understood you correctly, you purchase a decent bike pump with an integral pressure gauge, £15 tops; just jump on www.wiggle.com and have a look around. And you’ll be able to carry it with you in case you get a flat tyre.

Hi, thanks for the comments.

my pump is a proper bike pump, with the appropriate schrader connector according to local bike shop. He even demonstrated on a big wheel bike in the shop.

with the big wheels, it is easier to get fingers around the connector to unscrew it, but electric bike wheels are smaller and framework is significantly more bulky and awkward and heavy to lift and spin the wheel to easyaccess position..

I have an electric pump stowed in the van, but no 12 volt in the workshop where bikes are kept.

I will have to dig it out of the van, and organise a 12 volt source in the workshop..(I DO HAVE A 50 VOLT HEAVY DUTY SUPPLY FOR BENCH USE, SO WILL SEE ABOUT MAKING IT VARIABLE)

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL.

Tony

Archived