electric step

kemerton

We have a 2015 Pilote G600 Aclass van and the step has stopped retracting automatically when I start the engine. The fridge also is not working on 12v and I think the two are connected. I think that there is a fuse which controls these two items but where is it located. If anyone knows perhaps they would be kind enough to let me know.

I think I blew it when I started the van with the step out and the hook-up still connected. Silly mistake !!!!

Thank you. I have read through that post which was very helpful however I have not been able to find the precise location of the fuse and wondered if any other Pilote owners or motorhome experts could point me in the right direction?

Hi John,

I cannot currently understand why starting the engine with EHU connected should blow any fuse.

Not too bad starting the engine, but do not drive off with EHU lead attached.

Your fridge supply, and automatic step retraction, both use a control signal called D+. This signal is an indication that the alternator is generating, which of course means that the engine is running.

In the good old days the D+ signal was a connection into the alternator (battery warning lamp circuit).

Now that computers have invaded vehicles, the signal is probably computer generated.

On Fiat base vehicles, Fiat have recognised the need for additional motorhome electrical connections, and provide a converters panel at the base of the RHS "B" pillar, which is behind the driver's seat on a RH drive vehicle. If fitted, there will be an array of fuses, relays, and connectors. The D+ signal will probably be taken from this panel. The connection for charging the habitation battery from the alternator is also available at this panel. This charging of the habitation battery from the alternator may also make use of the D+ signal, so you may wish to check that this charging facility is still working. A simple check that the habitation battery volts rise when the engine is started, will resolve that bit.

A further complication to be aware of is that the original D+ was "active high", that is at nominal 12V when the altrenator is generating. The converters panel is however "active low", that means it connects to 0V (earth), when the alternator is generating. Some conversion may be required.

If you have a converters panel, your Pilote manual may help, otherwise look in this area for a blown fuse, however I do not know why it should blow.

Another possibility is that the step relay control is taken from the fridge supply, and the fridge fuse has blown.

If your vehicle does not have a converters panel, and Pilote have installed CBE electrics there is another possibility. The CBE system simulates the D+ signal, and the 3A output fuse will be found on the DS300 12V distribution board. RH end with a coupled batteries icon.

I hope that some of this helps.

Alan

buddy - 2021-07-09 6:57 PM

I think you may have a Electroblock control system for the electrics and fuses if so is there a model number EBL*** on it that you can see ?

According to this recent forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Where-and-which-is-the-fuse-/58333/

a 2015 Pilote G600’s electrical system will include a Schaudt EBL 271 ‘box' and (I believe) the control-panel will be a Schaudt LT 67 (upper photo attached below). The EBL 271 manual shows a 20A fuse for the step (lower attached image) but that may well not be relevant to Kemerton’s present issue. (Step appears to be a Thule slide-out.)

80232806_LT67.png.3c737d811f56788d3de9109633116d07.png

23998160_EBL271.thumb.png.ba8a7de857e641ff40eb842ea23de328.png

Hi John it was me who had same problem last week. The link to my thread is on second entry above.. In my case it was the 10 amp fridge fuse which unbeknown to me supplies the fridge relay which then supplies the step. (I maybe told that is technically incorrect however there is no doubt step and fridge are connected in some way. Interestingly another member found that one relay failure knocks them both out as well. Anyway found my fuse by driver's door pillar just behind driver's seat. Ps.there were two fridge fuses the one I replaced marked 'fridge' was 2 amp. I didn't see the ten amp til 2 days later when helped on this forum. Good luck.

Archived