waste slide valve connector?

tallphil

Hi, this is my first post here so apologies if it's a FAQ. I've bought an oldish motorhome (CI Carioca 10 on Fiat Ducato) with a waste tank slide valve. Could anyone advise me the right connector (and large-bore pipe) to attach to the waste tank when emptying please.

The slide valve output is 60mm external diameter, 47mm internal diameter, 20mm length, with no thread or bayonet pins. I can't see any manufacturer or product code on the valve. I'll attach a photo if the forum allows this.

Maybe something like this? This one is a bayonet fitting though.

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/water/product_55717/angled_bayonet_connector_for_3inch_discharge.aspx

Many thanks, Phil

IMG_0004.JPG.570aedf1f7877d80e2bed8f306535a4b.JPG

Hi Tallphil

Welcome to the Forum. I had a CL for a number of years with exactly the same type of waste drain as depicted. We travelled extensively in France and Span, Germany and Croatia and never found it necessary to have any connector. As already mentioned, just drive over the drain dump and open the valve. Worked fine for us with no mess. Happy travelling!

Alan

Thanks for the quick helpful replies!

I understand sites usually have drive-over disposal points, but I would also like to have a detachable waste hose, for example to reach from my own drive to my drain.

Keith I did look at CAK tanks, and found that 3" bayonet connector I linked to - but it doesn't look right. I've emailed CAK, awaiting a reply..

Ray that ebay pipe looks good (wonder if that is price per metre perhaps?), might go for that, but I was imagining a narrower pipe (30mm ish) I could stow in the van, and a connector/adapter. If no such thing exists I'll have to make one somehow!

Phil.

I have fitted these valves to three of my motorhomes as they enable you to empty the waste tank in about 20 seconds rather than the usual 10 minutes. The fittings and accessories can be bought from garden centres that sell ponds and large fish. The handles can usually be extended by using 6mm threaded bar to get the operating end to the edge of the van so you don't have to scramble about.

Our previous van(Chausson) had a similar valve and that, being tucked under the middle of the van, could also be awkward to empty.

I felt that ours was too low to have added any addition rigid fittings(and far too low to have to be scratting about underneath each time..).

But our outlet was recessed/"hidden" from view, which made it hard to align, so I just fitted a short piece of flexible rubber hose which I had kept, along with the hose clips, from an old washing machine drum (It was exactly the right size to fit the spigot on ours).

..and if ever emptying into a drain at home, just I used an open topped tub (eg antifreeze tub, with side cut out?),fixed to a length of rigid plastic waste pipe, just slid underneath...

Thanks everyone for the advice - project completed!

I found a length of 40mm (internal) hose from a garden pond project many years ago, which I can coil up and store in the van. I invented a connector to the 60mm outlet using the neck of a 5 litre supermarket spring water bottle araldited inside the outlet, plus a 40mm hose joiner. It sticks out a bit, but not as far as the spare wheel so that shouldn't be an issue. The 40mm size gives a nice fast drain.

Phil

IMG_0022-001.JPG.7b71df74cecb2de2b9efa03ef2e40ca2.JPG

An excellent piece of ' now what have I got in the shed' engineering, well Done. looks professional.

ps Although personally,as having bad knees, I would leave mine connected and leave it coiled up underneath the van, but thats me. Ray

Rayjsj - 2015-06-08 12:55 PM

I would leave mine connected and leave it coiled up underneath the van, but thats me. Ray

Yes..along Ray's lines:

If ground clearance isn't an issue, could you use a 90degree hose elbow(radiator hose?) with a short length of rigid waste pipe retained at the outer edge of the van?

The "give" in a decent hose elbow , would allow the pipe to be unclipped and lowered for emptying...?

Archived