wiring Starspirit

francespaul

Please can any one help i have a 2005 autocruise starspirit that has had some water get in it and damaged the panel that is behind the passenger seat,this has the light at the bottom that lights the steps,and above this is a double switch and above that a single switch.

When i took the switches off some of the wires had come away from the switches.

The panel needed to be replaced but i have no clue where all the wires go,have looked in the handbook and there is no wiring diagram for this part of the van,has any one have a diagram please.

Welcome tot the Out&AboutLive forums.

Requests for comprehensive wiring diagrams for Autocruise motorhomes built in the first few years of the 21st century are quite common on motorhome forums. However such diagrams apparently just don't exist.

I've attached below a couple of diagrams copied from an earlier forum thread and scanned from an Autocruise handbook that I think would be relevant to 2005 'Star models. But as you have the handbook for your Starspirit, you may well have these drawings already and (hopefully) they'll be more legible.

1.png.4ad921603ecd6af83e3870587bd7bd56.png

2.png.97c625c3feb873eeff69c4c38a7bb01d.png

There are several online videos relating to Autocruise "Starspirit" 2004-2006 models and these show switches on the face of the bulkhead to the left of the entrance to the habitation area.

As the entrance has a (presumably) electric step and you've said that there's a light to illuminate the step, I'd guess that the single switch controls that light, and that one switch of the double-switch causes the step to be extended and the other switch of the double-switch causes the step to be retracted.

There's an Omnistep wiring diagram here

https://www.motts.org/Omnistep.htm

A 'twin' control switch is shown (rather than two separate switches) but if Autocruise used the same wiring colours, the diagram might help.

A 2007 Autocruise Starspirit wiring diagram does , as Derek Uzzel has suggested ,have the same colours for the step wiring as the Omnistep diagram that he has shown in his reply and the step light switch is shown as a pink and pink/black wire to the switch , hopefully this may be the same for your 2005 model.

francespaul - 2022-01-15 2:24 PM

many thanks i have these but it does not show the switches and wires on the panel just as you enter the van left side

Paul, It might help a bit if you could clarify the functions of these three switches.

If Derek's suggestion as to their functions is correct, then I would only expect there to be two wires to the top, lighting, switch. Conventionally, these would be a + feed, and a switched feed down to the light. As you say the panel must be replaced, and the step light is in the panel, it should be easy to identify which wire does what with the light removed from the panel. I'm assuming that removal of the light is reasonably straightforward.

If Derek is right that the other two are step in and step out, the attached wiring diagram may help. I suspect that if your van has a retractable type step it will be Omnistor. The attached wiring diagram is for a Thule branded product, but as Thule bought out Omnistor some years back, and have generally continued production of their steps and awnings without significant modification, the wiring principles should be very similar. You will presumably have to trace the wiring to find the relay. If your 2 gang switch has been used in lieu of the "standard" Thule/Omnistor switch, it will be the switch S1 in the diagram that will have been replaced by these. The relay is there to handle the higher current demand from the step motor, the switch S1 controls the relay.

I'm a little doubtful about the two gang switches taking the place of S1 however, as it would then be possible to press both simultaneously - which would not be a good idea! However, the above should help to explain how your step is controlled - if you have one - and ever need to know!

241438134_Thulestepwiring.thumb.jpg.5b23060a8f847c52925c65268da04429.jpg

Brian Kirby - 2022-01-15 6:23 PM

...If Derek is right that the other two are step in and step out, the attached wiring diagram may help. I suspect that if your van has a retractable type step it will be Omnistor. ..!

The photo attached below is of the habitation entrance of an Autocruise Starspirit and the twin-tread electric step is a "Tecno Step" made by the Italian company Nuovo Mapa. Nowadays there are wiring harnesses available for Tecno Steps that simplify installation, but I don't know what the situation was in 2005 and I can't find any online Tecno Step wiring diagrams (and there is no certainty Autocruise would have followed such instructions anyway!)

I would have thought - whatever Autocruise chose to do wire-colour-wise - the cables leading to each switch would be grouped together into some sort of 'harness'. So if there's a pair of cables on its own, that's likely to be for the single switch, and if there's a group of (say) four cables, that's likely to be for the double switch. If the single switch (presumably for the step's light) is dealt with first, at least that would be one thing out of the way.

step.jpg.3db1abc3bbfe18bcc98c3b9e9f8d307e.jpg

Brian Kirby - 2022-01-15 6:23 PM

==================================================================================

The relay is there to handle the higher current demand from the step motor, the switch S1 controls the relay.

I'm a little doubtful about the two gang switches taking the place of S1 however, as it would then be possible to press both simultaneously - which would not be a good idea! However, the above should help to explain how your step is controlled - if you have one - and ever need to know!

I cannot agree with the above statements.

The relay is for the auto retract function only.

The switch S1 does not control the relay, which is controlled by the step limit switch, S2, and the ignition switch, S3.

If separate switches are used to extend and retract the stap, they should be of the momentary type. Pressing both switches simultaneously will not cause a problem. You will only substitute 12V+ve on both sides of the motor, for the original earth, or negative connection. This will not result in any movement or short circuit.

I cannot commend the presentation of the Omnistep diagram, as it gives both diagramatic and pictorial presentations in juxtaposition. In the interests of clarity, the schematic inside the square box should be separated from the pictorial sectional view..

The mention of a pink/black wire remonds me of the Fiat courtesy light wiring on my x244 PVC, where the sliding door courtesy swtch has a pink/black wire leading towards the cab light. Possibly just chance, or was the draughtsman trying to match colours?

Alan

the single switch has a red wire and 3grey taped together think they go to the centre connection not sue what goes to the bottom this switch does the light for step

the double switch has green wire plus loads of grey wires [think this controls light outside and ceiling light just inside van

there is also a brown wire that goes along the bottom of door and goes behind the cooker not sure what its for

1868729890_PICT0015(1).thumb.jpg.13d51dd93588bcd1b0ce68ea40d5f726.jpg

PICT0016.thumb.JPG.042ae752bb43cc1766ce046a7f6730c5.JPG

Archived