Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen judder/vibration, a new line of inquiry

Dave Newell

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave

2.3 130 6spd aug2007 3150-3300kgs normal as tested today 3150-3200 kgs, have tested unladen no water 1/4 fuel no noticable difference

judder on any incline, tested fwd up hill 2nd ok no noticeable judder, 3rd apparent but probably due to insufficient revs, revs increased still slight but nowhere near as bad as reverse.

I use low revs when reversing, if using the recommended 1300rpm I can smoke the clutch quite quick on a steep hill,

I have reversed for nearly 300 yards at 1000rpm and judder present and smelly clutch at end, hill no more than the incline in your yard

any reversing on wet grass gives an increase in judder

Hope some of this helps, on MHF someone is reporting a fix from Fiat replacing Dual Mass Flywheel/Clutch nothing official yet, if he has been told this from his dealer it's probably BS like the rest of their so called solutions

By the way the cruise you fitted is working brilliantly

Regards

Chris

At the microcar rally this weekend some friends of ours have splashed out on an nice new top of the range Hymer A class, can't remember exactly which model but it's very posh and has the 3 litre engine. Anyway, he tows a covered trailer with his microcar in and he says that he gets some judder whilst towing ... but until Friday he'd never heard of the problem ... and he's just spend near enough £70k!!! I think he's going to do some 'investigative reversing' etc when he gets home ....

1665908991_JimHsrig.jpg.a6577db42b0f51f5ca97efc368b22bbb.jpg

Hi Dave

It's a Zundapp Janus 250, it has 2 opening doors, one on the front and one on the back, the rear passengers sit facing backwards! It's absolutely mint as it has been restored to a very high standard indeed, hence why Jim has a covered trailer for it ... and his other lovely microcars.

The below is the rear of the car!!! If you want to see how it was restored have a look at the below website:

www.micro-car.net

150169812_ZundappJanus250.jpg.cea40e2fd03694f52137e8292a0e21e3.jpg

Hi Dave,

Yes, we have "the judder". We reported it to Fiat last month and they gave us a reference number and told us to book into a Fiat dealership to get it checked as they are aware of reports of problems 8-) - we are lucky we have a good "van and truck" dealership near us which is nothing to do with motorhomes, so no prejudice..... :-S They dealt with our "leak" under the bonnet very quickly and efficiently.....

Due to work commitments and non motorhome holiday in Devon we are taking it in in the next 10 days or so, but have already had a telephone call from Fiat in Italy to see if we were (a) happy with the service from Fiat UK and (b) if the problem had been resolved *-)

Our MH is a 3 litre ducato registered 01/09/07 and we have the judders in forward gears at junctions, taking off on an incline as well as reversing on very gentle inclines, so best sorted sooner rather than later I guess *-)

Will keep you up to date with progress..

Fiat 130/6 speed - plus obligatory judder in reverse.

Not sure which judder in forward you mean, but I have got a vibration at 50-60 mph in 5th depending on how much throttle applied. And NO it is not wheel balance because it happens on a variety of surfaces and is not related to road speed ( ie wheel unbalanced), if I take foot of throttle then the judder stops. Also my Fiat dealer tells me that " all X2/50's thump on start-up" they are not sure if it is the engine of the exhaust causing it.

So thump, judder,judder. wobble, - could be the first line of a new Fiat signature tune.

PS not a good singer but able to use My wagon for the percussion background to any new tunes adopted by Fiat

A customer recently told me that there is an instruction in the owners handbook to depress the clutch on starting and this will solve the thump on startup. I've always depressed the clutch to start anyway which is probably why i've never experienced this particular "feature" of the new Fiat/Citroen/Peugeot.

D.

That's easy Fred, by depressing the clutch you disconnect the drive to the gearbox. This means that the starter only has to turn the engine over and not spin all the internals of the gearbox. On a winter morning this can make quite a difference when the gearbox oil is very thick and causes a lot of resistance to movement.

D.

Archived