Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen judder/vibration, a new line of inquiry

Dave Newell

Yes I hote the handbook statement about putting clutch to floor, but it should'nt thump anyway. As an engineer I agree with Dave's answer, less work for the starter motor, but have you seen builders/ white van man being so carefull. As I have heard FIAT - F****** Italian Always Trouble.

Where have all the judders gone ???

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all ,

new to the motor home brigade , been a towing man for many years - must be the old age in me getting lazy (lol) , we have just bought a new swift 645 kontiki with the fiat 160 , from what i have read am i correct in thinking that this problem is only on the 130 ? .in all fairness the 160 goes like the proverbial off a shiny shovel & overall the truck ( or connie ) as the girls have nicknamed it is a joy to drive .

being an engineer i can see the sense in the explanation given by someone earlier & also there is the weight element to consider when reversing uphill , i recently had a shogun 54 plate with the clutch gone @ that was a judder ! which cost me 3.5 k & mitsu didn't want to know .

steamer

steamer - 2008-06-28 4:55 PM

we have just bought a new swift 645 kontiki with the fiat 160 , from what i have read am i correct in thinking that this problem is only on the 130 ?steamer

The only one I've heard of that doesn't have a problem is the 160 with 'auto' box, but then time will tell if even this will develope problems.

Hi all ,

new to the motor home brigade , been a towing man for many years - must be the old age in me getting lazy (lol) , we have just bought a new swift 645 kontiki with the fiat 160 , from what i have read am i correct in thinking that this problem is only on the 130 ? .in all fairness the 160 goes like the proverbial off a shiny shovel & overall the truck ( or connie ) as the girls have nicknamed it is a joy to drive .

being an engineer i can see the sense in the explanation given by someone earlier & also there is the weight element to consider when reversing uphill , i recently had a shogun 54 plate with the clutch gone @ that was a judder ! which cost me 3.5 k & mitsu didn't want to know .

steamer

Hi steamer, I have a 2.2 five speed which does not shudder or leak water, if you run back through this forum and the much bigger MHF forum you will see people who have reported 130,s that do not shudder. The whole thing seems to be dying a death now and the great majority are completely happy with their Fiat based vans. Without a doubt some have real problems and Fiat should fix them but the whole thing has been really hyped up and by no means all have a problem. As with all vehicle faults forums tend to over emphasis them as people will shout very loud about a fault but tend to keep quiet if all is ok.

If you follow this as closely as I do you will see there is an increasing number of people who are finding out that their vans judder in reverse, but that doen't mean they all do, bit like russian roulete realy.

rupert123 - 2008-06-28 6:01 PM

Hi all ,

steamer

Hi steamer, I have a 2.2 five speed which does not shudder or leak water, if you run back through this forum and the much bigger MHF forum you will see people who have reported 130,s that do not shudder. The whole thing seems to be dying a death now and the great majority are completely happy with their Fiat based vans. Without a doubt some have real problems and Fiat should fix them but the whole thing has been really hyped up and by no means all have a problem. As with all vehicle faults forums tend to over emphasis them as people will shout very loud about a fault but tend to keep quiet if all is ok.

thanks for that , thought as much . all things made have some sort of teething problems we run a cnc m/c shop & considering these machines are made in tiawan , shipped to holland & then over to us in uk & on to us sometimes being loaded & unloaded several times we expect a period of settling down - but we do have manufacturers support ! .

A vehicle of this size has to be respected , compared to our merc 814 flat bed & transit dropside the fiat 160 is so light to drive & therefore somewhat deceptive in its feel.

steamer .

It seems to me that Steamer etc, have an " I'm all right Jack" attitude. Maybe thats what the dealers and Fiat want, keep denying a problem exists and the punters will eventually get fed up. Sure it is people who have the judder that post it on the forum, even if it only helps a few unlucky??? owners. Just be gratefull when you are a lucky one without problems.

The rest of us with or without The Judders should act as a community, support Dava Newell. After all most are gratefull to receive help and that what the Forum is about, isn't it ???

Always willing to try to help - Mike

mike 202 - 2008-06-29 9:43 AM

It seems to me that Steamer etc, have an " I'm all right Jack" attitude. Maybe thats what the dealers and Fiat want, keep denying a problem exists and the punters will eventually get fed up. Sure it is people who have the judder that post it on the forum, even if it only helps a few unlucky??? owners. Just be gratefull when you are a lucky one without problems.

The rest of us with or without The Judders should act as a community, support Dava Newell. After all most are gratefull to receive help and that what the Forum is about, isn't it ???

Bit hard this. I certainly do not have an 'I am all right jack' attitude and suspect steamer is the same. I am just putting my own experience and have said many times on here Fiat should correct problem on vans that have it. I spoke to Andy on the telephone for about half an hour about his van to see exactly what his problem was and he certainly has something wrong and it should be fixed. Why should I complain about Fiat when I do not have a problem with them. Of course I would support anyone with a problem but will not be lead blindly into making statements on things I know nothing about or have a personal experience of. Look at this thread it was started as a new approach, what support has it had, virtually none. As the man said where have all the judder's gone?

mike 202 - 2008-06-29 9:43 AM

mmmn ,

interesting comment , no "jack the lad " from me , believe me after spending that amount of money & something goes wrong i'll also be seeking blood ,i have heard some good reports of fiat commercials from white van men who deliver to us , also some bad reports of mercs , now if youwant to own a real problem vehicle try land rover !.

being a fiat owner for the first time i'm naturally concerned & following events closely hence my first post .

steamer .

Maybee I was a bit harsh, just feel a bit sorry for all of those who are having problems and would like to see some form of positive resolution.

So, taking the last two comments into account. Is it all dying?

Dave do you have any info on where are we are now? ,

How is Andy doing, any correlated data/opinion/way ahead from this or other forums or MMM etc?.

regards to all Mike

steamer - 2008-06-29 10:09 AM

now if youwant to own a real problem vehicle try land rover !.

steamer .

And there you have 'hit the nail on the head', Disco's and Freeloader's have had problems with the DMF but they seem to happen after about 70,000 miles at which point Land Rover deny all responsibilty and charge you about £1,000 for parts alone. Of cause they have a load more problems with the badly designed BMW engine that is proboly poorly put together.

Archived