The civilized world

donna miller

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mother in law takes the Daily Mirror Malc and its amazing how the same story ends up with entirely different conclusions. Looks like its up to the reader to take away the (usually political bias) to try and understand whats going on.

One way of testing the accuracy of newspapers ( and TV news ) is to listen to an interview with a politician on the radio, (or watch an interview with a politician on TV ) -and make a mental note of what he says.

Then read "what he said" in the newspapers, and you can see just how biased (either way) the newspapers are.

:-(

I dont think you would be able to get the Daily Mirror from your local chippy, elf-n-safety you know.

Perhaps if you had a look behind the door of a rural backwater loo you might be lucky enough to find a copy of the Daily Mirror cut into neat little squares hanging on a nail, preferably with Gordon Browns face prominantly displayed. *-)

nightrider - 2008-08-19 8:18 PM

I dont think you would be able to get the Daily Mirror from your local chippy, elf-n-safety you know.

Perhaps if you had a look behind the door of a rural backwater loo you might be lucky enough to find a copy of the Daily Mirror cut into neat little squares hanging on a nail, preferably with Gordon Browns face prominantly displayed. *-)

That's a bit hard on poor old Gordon - especially as our Olympic team have done so well since he became prime minister.

( He gets the blame for everthing that goes wrong so I'm just introducing a bit of balance).

;-) ;-)

Syd,

"Proxy" wars are set up by the bigger nations to test the waters so to speak before they send in the big guns.

It is not a case of can they afford to go to war, money will always be found to wage war.

America will only go to war if they have some other countries hand to hold, Britain perhaps?? America are very good at computer based wars where they start slinging ICBM's from a safe distance.

Waging war with Russia would be a blood and guts conflict at close quarters, the Yanks have no stomach for that.

The mightiest army in the world (Germany) could not tame the Russian bear.

Having said that I am not denigrating individual American courage, but America should stop trying to set herself up as the worlds policeman.

My civilized world has been turned upside down by this constant rain, I am self employed doing a job that is reliant on decent dry weather.

But it seems to be that someone up there doesn't like me because everytime I set foot out of the back porch door intent on loading up my motor for a good days work the heavens open.

Not your normal run of the mill shower but a monsoon, just as if someone has tipped a bin of water over my head, well I for one am sick of it, the money I put away for a rainy day is really being taken to task, but not to worry, I go into my workshop and light my woodburning stove and do a bit of painting, not any old type of painting but the canal barge type painting called "Roses and Castles" you know the stuff? painting up kettles, pans, buckets, watering cans etc etc that you see on canal barges.

So of course the smoke from my woodburner annoys my control freak of a neigbour who at the first whiff of woodsmoke starts moaning by saying her undies smell of woodsmoke to which I say "well close your knicker draw then"

Problems with the rain, my next door neighbour and my four dysfunctional kids who fortunately live 10 miles down the road all serve to make me realise that my 2.5 turbo charged Volkswagon campervan is my sanctuary where I can get away from all the trials and tribulations of life.

I told my wife to book us in on a campsite for a weeks peace and quiet anywhere? the Camping and Caravan Club site in outer Mongolia was fully booked up so we had to plump for a place in Shropshire.

nightrider - 2008-08-19 8:37 PM

Syd,

"Proxy" wars are set up by the bigger nations to test the waters so to speak before they send in the big guns.

It is not a case of can they afford to go to war, money will always be found to wage war.

America will only go to war if they have some other countries hand to hold, Britain perhaps?? America are very good at computer based wars where they start slinging ICBM's from a safe distance.

Waging war with Russia would be a blood and guts conflict at close quarters, the Yanks have no stomach for that.

The mightiest army in the world (Germany) could not tame the Russian bear.

Having said that I am not denigrating individual American courage, but America should stop trying to set herself up as the worlds policeman.

Hi Nightrider

Think I may disagree with you about the germans being unable to beat the bear because I believe that if they had had a good leader then they probably would have done because they would have gone in a lot earlier than they did and done the job before the winter killed them off.

Still just an opinion, who really knows.

In my forces days we used to dread having the American forces BEHIND us.

Total disaster

Archived