TRACKER

hymer1942

Funny thing is with insurance, they want you to fit a tracker yet 95% will not reduce your premium for it! You go and check online!

Also for a fully active tracker that you can access as well as insurance try fleetrack, £299 fitted and £120 a year for tracking real time. Lots of extras too like fuel consumption, service alerts and covers everywhere!

hymer1942 - 2008-09-23 1:59 PM

I need a tracking system for the new Van, insurance requirement, can anyone give me advice on cost etc. Must be Thatchem 5 and pro active.

Try another insurance company, no one has ever asked me for one, in fact changed to Saga this year and they did not even ask for proof of no claim, just took my word for it.

We have a Phantom Tracker on our motorhome. It is very good and yes it does work. There are 2 Phantom systems, one that is activated when you call them to say the van is stolen or the Proactive that covers Europe as well as the UK and is permamnently active and they let you know if the van has been stolen or tampered with. (slightly embarrassing if you set it off by mistake and have to admit you've been a muppet, but aleast then you also know its working!)

The annual monitoring subscription is the same for either systems, £99 a year, you can make a saving by buying a 5 year contract for less. The models are differently priced. Going from memory it was only about £100 difference to have the Proactive system that at the time cost £499. I'd check the Phantom web site www.phantom.uk.net for up to date prices. It is also worth remembering should you change your motorhome, you can transfer the tracking device and remaining subscription to your new van.

Whether it is for insurance purposes or not, I find it is a very useful piece of kit that also gives you peace of mind 365 days a year and would have it fitted to any motorhome I buy.

At the Peterborough Show I was talking to Mark at Phantom, and he actually showed me how they track and locate a motorhome, and with our permission he showed us where we were parked on his laptop. To actually see this system working was reassuring.

Hope this helps

Archived