Reserving sites

Mardee

Hi Mardee, welcome to the forum and good luck with your new motorhome. When you leave your pitch you can have a small board with your name on it and leave it on your pitch, leave a bucket with a chair against it on your pitch, in many years of camping leaving chair or table you may have out has always been perfectly safe. I am sure you will have more replies, any other questions you may have just post and I am sure you will get replies, happy traveling. Carol.

Mardee - 2008-10-02 6:03 PM

We are very new motorhomers although we have planned it for many years !!

We are picking up our first motorhome next week.

What is accepted practice to reserve out place on a campsites when out for the day

You will get a few differant answers on this one. I have a spare number plate on spike which I push in the ground, usually leave my hookup lead and leveling ramps as well. Caravan Club sites sell a small 'motorhome on on pitch' sign, about £5.00 I think.

rupert123 - 2008-10-02 6:13 PM

Mardee - 2008-10-02 6:03 PM

We are very new motorhomers although we have planned it for many years !!

We are picking up our first motorhome next week.

What is accepted practice to reserve out place on a campsites when out for the day

You will get a few differant answers on this one. I have a spare number plate on spike which I push in the ground, usually leave my hookup lead and leveling ramps as well. Caravan Club sites sell a small 'motorhome on on pitch' sign, about £5.00 I think.

surely you mean "motorvan" ? :-D

We have a sign in the shape of a mh which says "Reserved for.." and our reg number. We bought it from a classified ad in the back of MMM. They do them for A class, coachbuilt and van conversions so you can get one to suit your own mh. It's a great way to keep your pitch and an added bonus as the site wardens know who is on the pitch.

Keith.

We drove off a grass pitch once leaving chairs, bikes and bucket on pitch, came back to find tent on pitch, backed the van up till exhaust was as close as possible to tent, when they complained I pointed out if they wanted to share pitch it was up to them they where out of sight from my van.

I got a lot of grief from gf for being so bl00dy minded and not kindly asking them to move(I'm trying to be more tolerant nowadays, honest), anyway as it was a little backpacking tent they moved, so did we next morning continuing our touring. The pitch was the last level one that we could drive onto, and as we had chained up the bikes and chairs where we left them just to one side of middle of pitch I was feeling less than benevolent, one of their guy rope pegs was within a couple of inches of the bikes so it wasn't as if they couldn't see it was in use!

Hi Mardee - welcome to the forum and to motorhoming.

Although most campsites are pretty safe there have been cases of 'items' being taken when left on pitches - I remember one that reported a waste container being taken which was left nearly full! - so we tend to use a rear number plate (that is our 'spare' for the trailer) held upright by a metal peg at the rear of the pitch.

If you do elect to leave a hook up lead don't do as some people do and leave it plugged into the hook up post as this means the other end is lying on the ground live.

Enjoy the camping.

David

david lloyd - 2008-10-03 6:53 PM

Hi Mardee - welcome to the forum and to motorhoming.

If you do elect to leave a hook up lead don't do as some people do and leave it plugged into the hook up post as this means the other end is lying on the ground live.

Enjoy the camping.

David

On Caravan Club sites, the end that plugs into the bollard has to be turned clockwise until it 'clicks' setting the breaker, likewise if you press the red button, it clicks again to turn off the breaker. (and I have checked this with a Multimeter !)

I only mention this,not to be pedantic, but because i have had Caravanners tell me that i had left a live cable on my temporarily vacated site,when of course, i hadn't. Most Caravanners didn't realise that the 'Click' was the Breaker being set,and of course once 'set up' they don't usually disconnect until they leave. On others sites I disconnect the plug from the Bollard,but leave it looped hanging downward from 'my' supply plug. Only I have had someone 'Pinch' my power supply because their cable wasn't long enough to reach the one alloted to their pitch. :D :D

I have a motorvan and a motorhome. The motorvan I use for deliveries and other work needs and the motorhome is my bijou second home I can see the world with. (Although still stuck in Spain, into week 3...)

I think of campervan´s as being the smaller VW type - am I alone7right.

Motorhoming is a very subjective hobby.

Of course, if you are in France it is a camping-car whatever shape it is!

I have one of those number plates in the shape of a motorhome which were given away, or at least very cheap, by MMM some years ago. I think most of the sites I go on are actually marked on the site manager's map with my name anyway.

I often leave me EHU lead but t could be dangerous to do so if left plugged in at the EHU box especially if kids are on site. I have occasionally left it plugged in, with the plug my end suitably covered and protected from rain, on sites that are adults only.

I left one of those small MH signs with numberplate in the entrance to a pitch on a site in the UK and when I came back there was a MH on the pitch quite far back from the entrance so I just parked in front of it.

After Much swearing and raving he moved.

He told me he had never been treated like that before and I told him that it was long overdue and someone should have put him right years ago.

Fortunately he let it drop there.

Archived