Spare Bulbs ? How many

enodreven

I agree that it often takes a long time in Spain for the Pllice/Guardia at local level to "catch up" with changes to any National Level laws (part of the price we pay for a much more relaxed attitude to life here, and also because of the semi-autonomous nature of the different regions in Spain I guess)....

That's why I suggested earlier that it might be a good idea to print off Navarro's announcement of the law change.

There is a mechanism to appeal against any on-the-spot fine that you may receive.......in your case I may have misunderstood your post, but from what you said, I think you were given a ticket for having a light on your vehicle non-functional, NOT for failing to carry a spare set of bulbs.

As I understand it, Navarro's announcement DOES NOT mean that it's OK to drive around with light/s not working; only that you don't have to carry a full set of spare light bulbs at all times (if you see what I mean).

BGD - 2008-11-08 10:59 AM

I agree that it often takes a long time in Spain for the Pllice/Guardia at local level to "catch up" with changes to any National Level laws (part of the price we pay for a much more relaxed attitude to life here, and also because of the semi-autonomous nature of the different regions in Spain I guess)....

That's why I suggested earlier that it might be a good idea to print off Navarro's announcement of the law change.

There is a mechanism to appeal against any on-the-spot fine that you may receive.......in your case I may have misunderstood your post, but from what you said, I think you were given a ticket for having a light on your vehicle non-functional, NOT for failing to carry a spare set of bulbs.

As I understand it, Navarro's announcement DOES NOT mean that it's OK to drive around with light/s not working; only that you don't have to carry a full set of spare light bulbs at all times (if you see what I mean).

Spanish logic has always be beyond my understanding. But a bit af paper does always seem to help. So I HAVE PRINTED OFF your information. and will keep it in my camper when in Spain .

I noticed you are to appear At Magnums bar on the 6th I will attempt to catch you show Ill be the good looking Brit as the custermers are normaly Spanish there

Petedaniel

Brian,

Thanks for the guidance. The motorhome cab and chassis were made in Feb 07 according to Fiat. I discovered this when it went in to a Fiat agent to have an update done. I appreciate that the motorhome bodies have many different types of rear lamps and bulbs. I have checked these and they are the usual single and double pin bulbs you find in some British cars which is why I only asked about the cab unit.. I have bought spares for these. I shall go back to my Fiat agent and ask him for the bulbs as he has the complete history of the van on computer.

Thanks again and I think that even if the laws in these countries do now not require you to carry spare bulbs and the tools to change them, it is much easier to have them with you than fish around some foreign city in order to locate them.

Thanks once again

Geoff

Hya Pete -

Yes I'm up at Magnum's Bar on the Paseo in Oliva once again on Saturday 6th December...9.30pm kickoff.

Kathy & I hope to see you there!!

It does get very busy (as you may know, it's only a little bar), so might be worth getting there a bit early if you want a seat.

BTW: It's usually almost exclusively Brits that get in there nowadays....plus a couple of real Spanish characters too though.

I have carried spare bulbs for motorhomes and cars for years and, luckily, have never had occasion to replace a headlamp bulb, until last Friday!

My car is a Renault Megane Scenic and, accoring to the main dealer, it costs £85 to change to a near side bulb and £50 for off side (inc VAT). My local auto electric place did the off-side dip bulb for £14.10. He did suggest that it was a terrible job to do.

I had a look at the motorhome, based on the Ducato, it looks just as bad. If it gets to the police stopping me then the motoring organisations can do it!

It may be worth exploring how hard it is to remove the whole headlamp unit, instead of trying to replace individual bulbs with the headlamp in-situ.  The previous version Fiat etc based vans, and the Mk 7 Transit, involve removing only two screws, then disconnecting the wiring at a handy connector.  The beam adjustment is not upset by this process.

• 4 weeks later...
braunston - 2008-10-05 10:29 AM

Hi, Just out of interest as you never know it could happen

If you were pulled over for a bulb would they expect you to change the bulb yourself,

Or could you call your breakdown company, and if you did call the breakdown company would they (the breakdown Company) charge you or is this just part of the breakdown cover

Anyone know the answers

Oh and by the way double check that you do have the correct bulbs in your sets as some of them don't always have the one you will need included and its bit late to find that out in the middle of the night in darkest France ???

My 2004/5 Ducato front cluster needs each side

1 - H7

1 - H1

1 - W5W

1 - PY21W (amber coloured)

I can give you the rest of the bulbs for the rear but they will change from vehicle to vehicle.

Hi Brauston,

Thanks for the info on the bulbs for the Fiat Ducato (2003/2005) I went to Halfords today a bought:-

1 - H7

1 - H1

2 - W5W

2 - PY21W (amber coloured)

They cost £26 97 which I thought this was a fair price, I dare say I could have bought them cheaper elsewhere but the shop was close at hand.

Incidentely Halfords were selling set of bulbs for the same model Ducato's but they were the wrong type of bulbs.

so check before you buy.

Don

Don, How Much!!

A couple of weeks ago I bought bulb sets from Aldi and got either 2 H7 bulbs or 2 H1 bulbs plus 10 other bulbs and fuses for £3.99.

Even just for the main bulbs that's only £2.00 each.

Unfortunately the handbook for our Merc is incorrect and when I looked at the headlights I actually Needed H7 and H3 so took the H1's back.

Last time I was in my local Aldi they still had some of the sets left.

It might be worth trying a local branch to you to see if they have any left.

Keith.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Brian,

Sorry to be so late in answering but lots to do etc.

I went to the people who supplied the new motorhome to me and they were completely disinterested about the owners manual being for another vehicle to mine. The vehicle is a SeA Sharkey coachbuilt on a Ducato chassis. I have bulbs for all the rear lamps etc but it is bulbs for the Fiat cab that is my problem. The vehicle had to go to a Fiat agent a month or two ago for an update so I have been onto them with my chassis number and they have ordered the correct Owners Manual for me. They say about £20. This is far easier than phoning the supplier and chasing up and down to Staffs from Wales.

Thanks for your help

Geoff

Archived