Base for swivel seats

little-jack

Good evening all!

Somewhere on here, a few months ago, there was a post which gave the phone number of someone who could supply lowered seat boxes for fiat ducato's for about £40.

I wrote the number down but predictably, now cant find it and search feature doesnt show it.

Can anyone help please?

little jack

Hi Little-jack,

The people making the lowering frames are A & P Cowley in Pelsall, Walsall.

Contact them by Email paul.cowley2@tesco.com or phone 01922 684955 or I have their mobile numbers if you can't reach them.

They also make and fit A-frames for Ford Ka's. (We bought one off them earlier in the year that is how I know they make the frames).

All the best,

Keith.

Have these seat frames (and any swivel you plan to fit to them) been formally crash tested? The ones that come as original equipment certainly have been.

I wonder what the insurance position would be if the replacement, lowered seat base failed to give the same protection in a crash? Of course, if it didn't, you might not be worrying about it. A macabre thought, I know, but it's worth considering the position when you replace an item of major structural importance . . .

Mel E

====

Hi Mel and Dave,

I have seen these seat frames and they are welded from 4 pieces of fairly heavy angle iron and look infinitely stronger than the original thin pressed steel frame they replace. They fix top and bottom with the original fixings so I cannot see them being any weaker than the original.

The only thing I would recommend checking is the clearance if you have a battery or anything else fitted under the seat.

As for a seat swivel, they are only sold as a frame so that is a separate matter.

Hope this helps,

Keith.

PS I have no connection with the company other than having bought a car from them.

Keith, whether or not they are strong or well made is not the point that either I or Mel was making, we were simply questioning if these seat frames had undergone any kind of testing.

A good example is towbars, I'm very capable of making a towbar that is strong enough to pull any load you might care to place on it but it would not be legal on any car currently being built because it would not be a tested and type approved towbar.

D.

Archived