towing when over 75

jondiane

Hello does anyone know if my dad can tow a car behide his motor home he is 73 now. will he have to take a yearly medical when he is 75 or is he ok because his gvw is 3400 and towing a micra on a single axel trailer all still under 5500 train weight.

Your Dad does not require a medical unless he wishes to retain rights to C1, D1, C1E and D1E - see the DVLA website for detailed definitions, but, essentially, C1 allows him to drive a vehicle with a MAM of over 3500Kgs with a trailer of up to 750Kgs and C1E removes the trailer limit (subject to Maximum Train Weight. D1 and D1E refer to passenger vehicles - essentially minibuses.

Without a medical, he retains rights to BE which covers vehicles up to 3500Kgs MAM with a trailer of any weight, subject to Train Weight limits.

So he will be OK.

My only reservation is whether a 75 year-old is up to it? Nothing against your Dad, but recent research has shown that those over 70 are more prone to accidents than even the highly accident prone 18 to 25 year olds.

Mel E

====

I think Mel E is a little bit ageist. Both of us are over 70 and still drive long distances, no problem. I think maybe if the person is not used to driving long distances IE being what I call a weekend driver there maybe a problem. we have both always driven long distances so are used to it.As long as you drive within your capabilities , stop if tried, we are as safe as any younger driver. i know I'm a better and safer driver than my daughter, You' all have to age, so do it gracefully, i have heard of drivers in 80's buying new motor homes.

PS we also probably have more disposable income to enjoy. (No Mortgage, and need less belongings , not being bothered about the lastest fashions etc. )

Ageing is a very subjective thing, I have no dought there are drivers in thier 80s who are good drivers, but I'm sure when you get beyond "a certain age" you driving will deteriate, question is what age, I recently had a 'discussion' with a 78 y.o. relative about his driving after following him for several miles, I was so concerned, but he was adamant it was all the other drivers who where at fault, he has driven daily for over 50 years but has 'lost it', not so long ago I was a passenger with a 82 y.o. friend and never thought twice about it.

I am not sure age is a particular factor in road safety - whatever the driver's age, you either feel safe or you don't. I am now 70 and do not consider that my driving skills are any less now than they were 50 years' ago when I passed my test. I "read" the road ahead and behind as I have always done. However, as I seem to be shrinking now, I may take longer to haul myself into the high driving seat!

If he stills feels able to haul the trailer around and fit the towball, which I would not be able to do, then good luck to him. Eventual lack of strength may be the reason he will stop towing eventually and that can occur at any time. I have an aquaintance who is disabled and he manages to couple a very large caravan to his car all on his own and he is in his mid-eighties. Older drivers are more experienced and probably more safer than thirty something mothers who are trying to split their lives into minute pieces and consequently rush round like lunatics, particularly near schools.

At 72, and a white van driver all my working life, I am concerned about my age and driving habits. I have adopted a regime where I never allow my mind to wander on other things, I concentrate on every thing around me. I never turn the radio on. My ham radio is off. The CD player is for the long hauls on French motorways. But, I confess the Sat Nav is ON.

Concentrating as I do I am amazed at the antics of others. Such as cars slowing down to a crawl in the middle lane using their mobile phones.

I believe that all those young car drivers who stay in the middle lane are concentrating on their gadgets!

I am convinced that once you are unable to control the mind wandering then it's time to give up driving!

Do check with DVLA. It has been noted, that on some licence renewals that there has been losses of catogories relating to what you can drive. In some instances, the trailer entitlement seems to have disappeared in line with 'new type' driving licences where youngsters have to take a trailer test.

Check first to ensure that you still retain your grandfather rights to tow a trailer. You should do, but do check!

I have just received this reply from the DVLA in answer to my enquiry as to whether I can drive my motorhome 3400k and tow over the age of 70:

"With regards to your towing entitlements I can confirm that category BE will allow you to drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes and tow any size combination."

What a hornet's nest I stirred up! Patricia got the exact same info from DVLA that I posted. But then I went on to add a purely FACTUAL statement about the accident rates of drivers over 70 versus those under 25. And I am accused of being ageist! (I'm actually in receipt of the State Pension myself.)

As is usual in all debates about driving ability, not one of the replies suggested the facts were wrong, but, instead, gave OPINIONS about their own driving abilities or those of over 70s they know. Clearly the factual statistics tell the AVERAGE story. There are many over 70 well capable of driving a large vehicle and towing a large trailer. At the other end of the distribution, there are probably as many who are no longer capable of doing so.

The biggest problem is that the slowing of reactions creeps up on us so slowly, we simply don't notice it.

And consider - do you know anyone who is still driving regularly who will admit to being a poor driver? Of course not - it's the younger generation who drive much too fast and carelessly, using mobile phones, etc., not me . . .

Mel E

====

Slightly off the question I know but

Yes MEL, I'm not a good driver these days and find the increase in traffic and speed more than a nuisance.

Three times this year I avoided an accident that would have been my fault, by not looking clearly enough when leaving a road junction.

What this does is to make me EVEN MORE aware of what I'm NOT DOING correctly.

I used to curse at old and white haired drivers, now I'm one of them my aim is not be a nuisance.

I believe I gain in experience by being able to read the road better and make adjustments accordingly, like reading a group of truckers coming up behind who see me as an obstacle.

I either pull into a layby, or if on the M/Way I drive faster for a couple of miles so they become more seperated from each other.

I see that the age and safety question has come into this thread. We had banner headlines yesterday over the case of an 86 year old who seriously injured several pedestrians after he hit the accelerator instead of the brake. The story is here http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=edponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED23%20Oct%202008%2019%3A09%3A18%3A663

(Sorry, I'm not sure how to insert a hyperlink).

As a 73 year old regular driver the one thing I hope will never happen to me is something like that. I personally believe that anyone driving over the drink limit who kills someone should be banned for life. Also that the 2m or so uninsured drivers should be targeted more rather than the generally law abiding but easily traceable drivers who have to pay to cover them.

Boy do I agree with that, you are exactly right if you have nothing the justice system can get nothing, so [ no insurance, no tax, no mot, speeding etc ] all adds up to zero add to that a worthless car eg less value than the cost to insure and is there any wonder the justice system targets the like of us for revenue.

Another point is that if an older driver is told that he should not do so any more I think most would obey that. Contrast that with drivers who are banned for motoring offences (uninsured, unlicensed, drink driving etc.) where research has shown that 80% continue to drive regardless of a ban.

My viewpoint of old codgers driving has changed considerably over the years.

When I was young I would have supported legislation to insist that anyone above 65 should take a yearly driving test because they were "old dodderers" and slowed progress.

But Having "matured" a little and started to enjoy pottering along myself I have mellowed quite a bit. But my reliance on having 4 wheels to get about has increased as the old pins are not so good as they were. My need to carry more "clutter" with me has increased, I like my toys and you can't take them on a bus!

But the final posture change was because of my father-in-law Ted.

Now Ted and mother-in-Law Joan first got us into motorhomes back in 1972 when they bought a VW Danbury. It was their pride and joy and soon afterwards we got our first motorhome as well. We went all over Europe together. Within a couple of years both vehicles were fully re-fitted and personalised to suit our individual needs, including removing the lift up roofs and fitting high tops. I digress.

But many years later Ted suffered the first of many Epileptic attacks. He was forced to give up driving his beloved VW camper. It broke his heart.

I had to sell it for him. It broke my heart as well.

Ted lost interest in life, decided enough was enough, stopped eating and died in hospital despite their best efforts to keep him going.

So This scenario can be any of us. So drive carefully, be patient and very very tollerant of others. (especially me OK)

Oh and the Police, they are probably the worst informed about recent changes in driving legislation. Mel is likely to be much more knowlegable than most police.

C.

Archived