Log Book abroad

spospe

Whether or not you want to carry around the originals or copies of the documents, why not do what we do ... scan them all into the computer and put them all onto a SD card which can easily be kept with us at all times without a problem. It means that as well as the standard documentation, such as insurance, MOT etc (if applicable), we can also store info about holiday insurance, recovery, pet passport, the dogs vaccination certs, our passports, ferry tickets, emergency contact numbers etc, etc. Then, if ever we were unfortunate to loose the originals and/or the copies, we would still have a way of obtaining copies to give to an embassy, Police or whoever as necessary.

We have some good hiding places in our van .. and no, I'm not telling where ... just go and have a really good poke around in the dark recessess of your own motorhome and you'll be amazed at all the little nook and crannies you can find to hide stuff.

We were stopped at a Swiss border check point and Hitler was on duty,whilst letting everyone through he chose us. No problem except he wanted every thing, i am sure he could not read half of it but his manner wound my Wife up to the point i had to tell her back off. He had us for half an hour .

We got stopped a few of years ago at a Swiss point as well, the chap was interested in our vehicle's weight, as it was a loan van whilst ours was being repaired by the dealer, we had fortunately got a copy of the log book from the dealer and a covering letter to confirm we had it on loan. But ... could I find the r*ddy things!!!! Hubby had been having a tidy up the day before and I couldn't find where he'd put them and he couldn't remember ... they had mysteriously vanished! The Police man questioned me a couple of times as he thought the van was over 3,400kg (which it wasn't - I knew the weights of my Rapido and the other models in the range well at the time ... sad ain't I!). I must have been convincing as he (with a big shiny gun no less!) let us go without seeing them. It was a bit worrying though!!! 8-)

Here's a suggestion for what its worth on leaving the registration docs etc in the van.Most of the lower cupboards have a false bottom in them held in place with about 4 self tappers & some have up to 6" of space under them just housing the routing of heater pipes or wireing.I simply removed all the screws so as to take out the floor board this leaves room for a safe deposit box there then replace it with just 1 screw & 3 false screw heads so's it looks normal.Chuck everything back in the cupboard as usual.It only takes a minute to remove that 1 screw to get at the box.I doubt if any rogue would strip the motor to look for valuables just quickly rifle the cupboards & scarper.

Derek,

After having my wallet pickpocketed in a Town centre several years ago and losing my driving licence, plastic cards and a few treasured photos I no longer carry anything unnecessary with me and take extra care where I carry my wallet.

A tip here is if you wear a fleece to remove the long dangling advertising tags from the zips as it is then much more difficult to unzip the pockets and remove contents.

Keith.

It would be interesting to know if the local plod would be satisfied with the latest driving type licence with photo , same size as a I D card , till you had time to retrieve your safely hidden passport from the van. Much easier to carry than a passport in the wallet, and not such a disaster if lost :->

Archived