choose a photo

gaz43

hi jacqui

julie and myself are very well thanks

Mick H. - 2008-11-28 2:35 PM

the one of the bloke stood by the rock.

Mick

hi mick h

after that photo was taken i had to get the camera fix as my ugly mug broke it so i stay behind it now:D

i will have a play with some of the photos as has been suggested

many thanks everyone

Hmmmm, maybe I was wrong about number three needing more contrast and less brightness. Overall I do think it improves the visual impact but at the cost of losing detail in the trees on the lower right hand side. In traditional film photography you would dodge and burn the photo in the dark room to selectively adjust it. What do you think Gaz?

D.

sorry i still think 3 is better than 3a, although it is brighter in the valley on 3a you have lost the grassey hillock on the bttom right (as i look at it) and the detail from some of the trees.

But then what do i know i couldnt even take a pic like that which would look anything remotely like a decent photo. I think yours are great

I think 3 is ok in the original format, it's got a good balance.

the boat in 5 is too centrally located for my taste,

water in 6 seems to be running downhill, although I've had a glass of red and my laptop is on my knee - so I guess it could be me *-)

good luck

B-)

hi dave

i think 3 is better than 3a it lost to much detail on the trees

not to good with dodge and burn on cs2 at the moment but trying to learn

hi chatterdog

i an glad you like them thanks

hi twooks

is the boat better in this one

p.s i would have got back to you sooner but slopped off for the night in the van

5(1).JPG.75acdd3bc90ec737b03feee7961b7733.JPG

Hi Gaz

This is my take on the original photos:

1 - nice autumnal feel to it but taken too far to the left, need to loose the road a bit to give more emphasis on the tree and the lake/mountains in the background.

2 - you need to 'level' your water, ie rotate the image to the right a bit so that the far edge of the water is horizontal, possibly crop a little off the left of the picture but all in all quite a nice feel to it, I particularly like the rocks inthe foreground.

3 - a very nice composed shot, interest in the foreground at the left side, nicely balance with the view across the water to the right centre, the mountains to the left nicely balance the green hills to the right.

4 - Nice autumnal shot again - perhaps could do with a little cropping on the left to move the peak more to that side as it's doesn't feel quite right.

5 - I'd be tempted to do a lot of cropping of the right of the picture so that the boat is almost at the far right with very little else, this will then bring out the tree in the centre more with it's nice reflection, between the boat and the tree on the left.

6 - A nice shot, again just a little levelling of the water so that it doesn't look like it's tipping to the right.

7 - I love the 'feel' of the weir you have, a slight crop on the right to make the far rock face a little more central will improve it as will levelling it a little, I think it has a slight tip to the right at the moment (could be my new glasses though!).

8 - Again, a little cropping on the right to remove the extra bit of wall - I like the view through the window.

9 - Nice use of monotone with a splash of colour, has a slightly eerie feel to it.

Hi gaz

yes - like it.

I now use Photoshop Elements - found CS too complicated for my tiny brain and ended up completely losing track

I also cheat just by using the quick fix to test the waters so to speak, but seem to spend most of my time 'straightening' the pic, especially when water is involved :D

It's less frustrating when people wander into the shot area - just wipe 'em of the face of the earth :D ;-)

good old photoshop - yet another new verb added to the ever expanding english language

B-)

Gaz

I don't know how much you are 'in' to photography, but you obviously enjoy it.

Are you aware of the " rule of thirds " which photographers apply when taking pics.

This system gives advice on where to postion the main subject of your photos.

If you ' Google ' it I think you will see how it is applied.

If applied to your photo with the boat in it, it would advise that the boat should be to the left or to the right, but not in the middle.

( I assmue it would be o.k. in the middle if you were photographing the boat only, and not a landscape - if you see what I mean )

Good luck with the competition

;-)

Archived