Pyjamas or housecoat

nightrider

malc d - 2008-11-30 10:09 PM

J9withdogs - 2008-11-30 9:02 PM

Only the men :-S

True they're all men ( as far as we know ) but there aren't many of them.

:-(

Have you been checking their 'credentials' then???? Malc .... I thought that was Janine's job. (lol)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mel B - 2008-12-01 9:10 PM

malc d - 2008-11-30 10:09 PM

J9withdogs - 2008-11-30 9:02 PM

Only the men :-S

True they're all men ( as far as we know ) but there aren't many of them.

:-(

Have you been checking their 'credentials' then???? Malc .... I thought that was Janine's job. (lol)

.... and I'm sure janine would enjoy it, but unless you / we have met all these people, how do you really know who they are ???

;-)

Strange codes of conduct we have. A thong or pouch on the beach is quite acceptable but gets you locked up anywhere else and as long as its within reason don,t see why what you wear back and fore to the showers on site should matter either way.

What does bother me is not the 'indecent' side of things but those who need a reality check on the shape they are in and give some consideration to those about to have their breakfast. 8-)

Here's my twopenceworth for what it's worth. We're just back from 4 days at the lovely CC site in Hawes and it was, as ever, wonderful.

A couple of observations or grumpy old, (is 44 old?), man moments depending on your viewpoint..

1 The thoughtless folk who still used the toilet emptying points despite there being no water to flush away the waste. The taps were frozen and there were clear signs to use the only working point in the main block. I mean, the warden is going round the site regularly with his mini gritter, wouldn't it occur to folk to see if the pipe is frozen BEFORE emptying?

2 Those folk who think nothing of getting up early on site, (I'm talking 7am ish here), and showing no consideration to those of us who like a lie in until at least, ooh, what, 8am?? Examples, calling the dog, talking, (shouting more like), to the Missus via the van window etc etc.

I'm done now...

Martyn

Martyn, the early birds on the sites also disturb our small luxury of duvet contemplation till 8am. My wife often wonders why men have to "tat" about first thing. It's not so much the dog calling or wandering to the toilet block in rupert bear jim jams it's the people who insist on filling their water carriers then rolling them over the gravel for half an hour trying to find their way back to their van. :D

Martyn

I would just like to point out that, at 44, you have not yet been around long enough to claim the esteemed title of " grumpy old man ".

You may well be grumpy, as any youngster has the right to be, but at such a young age you are a mere apprentice.

:-( :-(

malc d - 2008-12-02 10:20 AM

Martyn

I would just like to point out that, at 44, you have not yet been around long enough to claim the esteemed title of " grumpy old man ".

You may well be grumpy, as any youngster has the right to be, but at such a young age you are a mere apprentice.

:-( :-(

Nice one Malc, grump in training it is then :D :D

There’s an interesting twist on this with regard to Spain.

When democracy returned to the country after Franco, they constructed a written constitution in an attempt to protect the country from future dictatorship.

It does lots of boring stuff, like ensuring separation of powers, a parliamentary system etc; but it also gives the constitutional right of every citizen to wear what they like (this was a reaction against Franco forcing uniforms etc on people).

Fairly recently this right was tested in the courts, all the way up to the Supreme Court:

There are hundreds of “Playa Nudista” beaches in Spain (it’s a warm country!).

None have been legally designated as such, it’s just that a custom has grown up over decades that on such beaches, people can take all their clothes off if they wish. Many do, some don’t, and that’s fine.

But on one such beach, only a few years ago the Local Council received some complaints from the equivalent of “Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells”. Their reaction was to put up signs indicating that bathing costumes must be worn on that beach.

A number of local beach users responded by challenging the Council decision.

Through the grindingly slow and complicated Spanish Civil Courts system the case gradually escalated over the following couple of years.

It eventually ended up in the Supreme Court, as the protestors against this ban argued that it was an unconstitutional bye-law that their Local Council had enacted "ultra vires" (totally outside of their powers).

Refreshingly (and perhaps surprisingly to prurient Northern Europeans), the Supreme Court found in favour of the protestors.

Their judgement was to the effect that the Spanish Constitution gives the right of all Spanish citizens to wear whatever clothing they wish. And that right thus includes the right for a citizen to wear no clothing at all if they wish.

We’d never heard about this (although we often use the Playas Nudistas ourselves…..don’t worry, they are usually well signposted from the roads/entrances so the Victorians amongst us won’t be mortally offended by seeing dangly/wobbly bits without warning); until we were up in Barcelona last summer.

We were in Plaza Catalunya (anyone who’s been to Barcelona will know it, it’s the massive central main square in the city).

Think sort of Leicester square in London, but with sunshine: tens of thousands of people wandering about, cafes spilling out onto the pavements, huge numbers of people dining/snacking/shopping in the warm afternoon.

There we are, ambling along, when we noticed a middle-aged chap walking towards us/past us through the crowds. Wearing flip-flops and carrying a briefcase.

Wearing just flip-flops.

Suntanned all over, totally naked, just walking through the most busy and crowded city centre square. In flip-flops and nowt else.

None of the locals paid him any heed at all. Some tourists stared, giggled embarrassedly, but he just walked on. Totally relaxed.

We asked a café waiter what it was all about, and he told us about the Constitutional rights, and the beach protestors court case; and explained that this chap was quite famous in central Barcelona for exercising this right to wear no clothing; he’s a naturist and does this when the weather is nice as a sort of protest against Government interference in people’s individual lives; and also 'cos he just likes being out in the sun without clothes on.

(Piccy of said chap wandering through City centre attached as proof....assuming a neckid bottom is not too strong for the good people here)

So, if you’re in Barcelona, or indeed anywhere else in Spain, and you want to take your clothes off, the written Constitution and the Supreme Court support your right to do so.

Now then, who amongst you liberated Brits is gonna be first for a summertime clothes-free wander to the showerblock from your Motorhome on your next Spanish Camping site visit? ;-)

1955093030_CIMG2273compressed.JPG.60b9a1709203351c64e14499bf1987a5.JPG

Bruce it's -2C here at the mo and it's hard to remember what warm sunshine feels like let alone imagine kit removal. Might try it when wandering through sunny Bristol but the howls of derisory laughter would ring in my ears for a long time. :D

Guest Tracker
Hopesy - 2008-12-02 11:25 AM

Bruce it's -2C here at the mo and it's hard to remember what warm sunshine feels like let alone imagine kit removal. Might try it when wandering through sunny Bristol but the howls of derisory laughter would ring in my ears for a long time. :D

Another take on reduced frozen assets then!

Guest Tracker
LordThornber - 2008-12-02 10:33 AM

Nice one Malc, grump in training it is then :D :D

So its Grump In Training then Martyn - aka - G I T!

Not hugely surprising that naturism is not quite as popular in the frozen wastes of Northern Europe as in the Med-surrounding countries!

Mind you, that Med sea can still be damn chilly on the family jewels even over here early in the summer season 8-) 8-)

BGD - 2008-12-02 12:15 PM

Not hugely surprising that naturism is not quite as popular in the frozen wastes of Northern Europe as in the Med-surrounding countries!

Mind you, that Med sea can still be damn chilly on the family jewels even over here early in the summer season 8-) 8-)

I don't think that is strictly true about northern Europe because it seems quite popular in Holland, Denmark and Germany

I think it's more to do with national attitudes: the 'uptight' and the 'non uptight'

:-|

Guest Tracker
malc d - 2008-12-02 1:22 PM

I don't think that is strictly true about northern Europe because it seems quite popular in Holland, Denmark and Germany

I think it's more to do with national attitudes: the 'uptight' and the 'non uptight':-|

To much cool air makes everything go uptight and outta sight!

From what we saw of this year's alleged summer it was warmer in Sweden than in the UK!

Archived