Wheel clamp

jonimac

John

Just teaching my Granny to suck eggs. Whatever you choose, make sure that it cannot be removed simply by deflating the tyre. Wheel clamps often look impressive, but some can be defeated simply by letting all the air out and rolling them off. A quick blast of air from a bottle and away the thief goes.

Michael

Hi, I picked up a London clamp off ebay, Its large and heavy, clamps around the wheel and you just can,t let the air out of the tire and roll off the clamp.

some time toe rags had a go at removeing the clamp with little joy. the weak point is the padlock which is shielded but you will need a good lock.

don,t buy the locks with the bar that slides across, these can be removed by hammer blows to the slide bar. don,t buy the round lock key type thing

these can be opened with a pen top and lighter.

look under London clamps on google.

michael

Hi!

If the principle reason for buying the clamp is to satisfy insurers, then the bulldog euro clamp that looks like letter H, splits in 2 pieces one on inside of wheel other on outside into one of the holes in the wheel , slide together and then lock, is very good, as its quite secure, meets gold standard provided the wheel is fitted with one locking wheel nut. Its also easy to fit and doesnt take much space to store. You need to make sure to get the larger one, usually sold as suitable for 4x4s (not everyone stocks it) I got mine from internet.

little jack

Hi jonimac,

I use a Bulldog Centaur CA2000C wheelclamp on the 15" wheels on our Merc. It was the only 3 legged Bulldog clamp which would fit. It is adjustable and the range of sizes it fits is detailed in a download on Bulldogs website at:

http://www.bulldogsecure.com/bulldog.shopfront/product/51/uSID310907-714-662

Mine cost around £150 but it is well worth it.

Keith.

I parked on an empty car park and when I got back those nice men in a white van had given me a very well made wheel clamp.

The hardened steel hasp on the padlock was hard to cut with my angle grinder using the inverter but only took 5 minutes.

G

Forgive my ignorance (but then we are all ignorant but on different subjects) but why would an insurance company want a wheel clamp. Is it an older van without a decent alarm / immobiliser? If it is in addition to these it just seems another lump of weight to carry around.

Porky Well fed and happy

Thanks again. When I insured with Caravanguard they insisted on a wheel clamp and an alarm. I have a heavy duty steering wheel clamp and an immobilisor but have now ordered a mororhome clamp fro Towsure who were very helpful in sourcing it from their Southampton branch. It should arrive next Tuesday. I'm sure it will fit, if not I'll pursue the Nemesis. Thanks again for the assistance.

John

Hi re the nemisis clamp, DON,T BUY one of these bad clamps. they can be overcome very easy, remember that just because you don,t wish to wreak your wheel and tire others will feel the same, when it comes to removing a nemisis clamp they just pull it to bits.

they are also a pain to use.

one good make is the sas balldog clamp, my local trailer centre sales the nemisis clamp but always uses the london clamps for large wheels and the sas for trailers etc. and they leave the trailers out side night after night.

For my smart car trailer I carry an sas bulldog clamp, easy to use and small to carry around.

for the motorhome when its in france and I am in the uk, I use a large london clamp.

michael

Archived